How can we improve the Windows platform?

Background app execution

If iOS and Android can do it why can't Windows Phone? Like all the Timer apps on Android & iOS, they can update the badge numbers real time giving you a true countdown timer experience. Why cant Windows Phone do this? It should be able to do this! Would battery experience really degrade that much? If so me thinks this is a fundamental flaw in the OS!

157 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    I have manyI have many shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    HDizzleHDizzle shared a merged idea: Background Agents  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Background processes needs to be an option, not just background tasks for realtime apps.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Notification systema and background apps.  ·   · 
    FyterFyter shared a merged idea: Task running in the background, or snap  ·   · 

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Luis SilvaLuis Silva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If it's just to have a stopwatch I don't care about this, it really drains your battery if every app remembers to do something in background! I have already trouble really knowing witch app drains my battery every 30min!
        After all, you can update your stopwatch once the user turns is screen on.

• ManniATManniAT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would open WP for a lot of new kind of applications.
        iOS is also restricted about this - but it offers much more possibilities.
        And I never had battery problems on my iPhones caused by background tasks.

• I have manyI have many commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yea Zapp, backgrounding on WP is really terrible........might fire something in 30 minutes iff you don't have too many tasks.....pfft.......stuff like this just makes WP such a sucky alternative to what's already out there!

• ZappZapp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please. I'm trying to run my stopwatch in the background, but I can't find anything but the silly background agent and scheduledtaskagent stuff. lame.

Feedback and Knowledge Base