How can we improve the Windows Phone dev platform?

SD Card APIs to create/write/delete files

In my application some data required to save on disk, There is limited storage in Phone memory, I just need api to write or create files folder wise on external memory like memory card..

74 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Richard SzalayRichard Szalay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd give all my votes to this if I could. As a developer of a podcasting app, the number of queries/reviews I see about not saving to the SD card is tremendous.

It would be great if this were considered for a future SDK release, even if it were a separate capability and required additional review time it would be worth it for developers of media playing applications.

• GPT_DevGPT_Dev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, wholeheartedly agree!!!

And the argument "why don't you just use Skydrive?" is not reasonable. Why? here's an example:

We had an app (note, I said "had") we built for Windows Mobile 6 which would connect via SPP/RFCOMM over Bluetooth to some test equipment, allowing for viewing, editing, programming the test equipment as well as taking readings and storing them in SD RAM. Unfortunately, the field personnel using this equipment cannot be guaranteed to have a network connection - sometimes they are out of range of cellular connectivity. So, obviously - no Skydrive for them.

Since the (in my mind, very odd) decision not to allow this ability in Windows Phone, we have moved this very profitable platform to Android. Hated like hell to do it, but what choice did we have?

I would be very happy to return to the fold, as it were - but without the ability to write to SD RAM, my hands are tied. No Windows Phone for us.

• Paul WilliesPaul Willies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a crucial omission in the Windows Phone landscape. We are developing a WP8 app to download and play sign language videos (for the deaf). The downloads are disallowed because you cannot write to the SD card.

Feedback and Knowledge Base