How can we improve the Windows Phone dev platform?

Ability to run and use an emulator image in as a remote VM

A developer should be able to run an emulator instance outside of the developer's environment, and be able to connect/deploy/debug into that remote VM.

Potential scenarios:
- Developer doesn't have SLAT on their machine and wants to run the VM on a SLAT capable machine/server
- Developer is running their dev environment in a virtual environment (e.g., local Hyper-V, remote Hyper-V, Parallels) and wants to run the emulator in another child VM on the same physical host they are running on (since she can't run a VM inside of a VM)
- The ability to run a dev environment fully remote

98 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Cliff SimpkinsAdminCliff Simpkins (Sr Product Manager, Windows Phone Developer) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kyle ReddochKyle Reddoch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

3 votes for me too! This will be very helpful to me and others that I help when I run workshops.

• Zack WilliamsonZack Williamson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll take it a step further - pre-configured Azure VM image for the WP8 emulator. Having a test environment that's instantly deployable and available everywhere, as long as you have an internet connection. THAT would be all kinds of awesome.

• Lance McCarthyLance McCarthy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

3 votes from me. I frequently hold hackathons and events where developer just don't have the machines necessary for WP8Dev. This idea would even be more useful to help present apps at large shows, events, media, etc if anyone could just deploy to a single machine on stage (which is connected to the projection system)

Feedback and Knowledge Base