How can we improve the Windows platform?

API to send SMS (via code without user input)

Me and two friends of mine created an app that won in a Windows Hackathon held by Microsoft Cyprus. We actually won the Hackathon without finishing our app due to limitations of Windows phone API. We need some sort of API to automatically send an SMS. The reason for it to be automatic is because this is for cases when the owner of the phone is unable (asleep or something similar) to do so. If you are concerned about security reasons a good implementation of this API would be to always notify the user that a message from that application has been sent and where it was sent. Also apps like these must be forced to get access from the user on their first run to send SMS on their own. Their are many ways to keep the security under check and still provide this functionality

154 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ioannis DemetriouIoannis Demetriou shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Giannis DemetriouGiannis Demetriou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are many ways to tackle security concerns.
        Number 1: User is notified whenever an SMS is sent and which app sent it, and to whom so he knows to uninstall the app if he does not like it
        Number 2: User must give access to the app, whether through the store before installation or on the first run of the app.
        Number 3: Screen apps before publishing them on the store to check what sms will they be sending and to where. If it's for example a future sms app in which the app will send an SMS only to a number the user has defined then allow it

Feedback and Knowledge Base