Dev Platform

Welcome to the Windows Platform Developer (WPDev) Feedback site. This feedback forum provides the WPDev community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center Store (developer portal, back-end services, reporting/analytics and process)
  • Windows Stores (Windows and Windows Phone)

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team, providing feedback to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the development platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

If you’re new to this whole UserVoice thing, we’d like to note two important things about this site: (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and does not represent an actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request.

How can we improve the Windows platform?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Quick switch WIFI and Bluetooth On/Off

notification bar
    pin WIFI and Bluetooth to start

595 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      14 comments  ·  Sensor + Settings APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      we hear ya!  ·  Laura ReedLaura Reed responded

Agree this is a desirable consumer feature – and not developer/application platform suggestion. Happy to report that Free Apps like Toggle and WP Shortcut Tiles providing quick on/off settings solutions are available now in the windowsphone.com Marketplace. Keep those apps coming!

• OpenGL Support

This is an outcropping from the Native SDK suggestion (http://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-app-platform/suggestions/1755203-native-sdk) - folks should please vote and comment on this aspect of the suggestion.

585 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        12 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the suggestion and commentary on the OpenGL topic. While we understand that this capability is important to you, we are not planning to add this capability to the Windows Phone developer platform. It is felt that the underlying DirectX platform is sufficiently powerful on its own, and there is extensive guidance out there on bringing OpenGL to DirectX.

• Allow multiple Microsoft Accounts to manage a Dev Center Publisher account

For corporate accounts, sometimes there is a need for more than 1 live id to access the dev. center. For example, more than 1 person from development team needs access to the portal as well as the development lead. Currently, all these people need to share the same live-id which is totally impractical as it can be a personal live id of a manager and he is not willing to share it with others. It would be really nice if access can be given to other live ids as well!

585 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          43 comments  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Provide a version specific release notes (changelog)

When app developers submit app updates to marketplace (and the user is prompted to install new updates - and can click through to a description) - it is desirable to sometimes inform users of what has changed in the new release.

Although these 'release notes' can be placed in app description - it isn't great marketing to put them there (and will be confusing and busy for user who has never downloaded the app before).

I think this sort of thing will be increasingly important with new o/s updates like mango where developers will need to be able to say…

553 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            9 comments  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Pay non-US developers through local MS office to make tax easier

At the moment, developers planning to sell apps need to have a US tax ID (ITIN, I think?), which can be awkward to get if you're based outside the US. In the AppHub forums, several developers have said that they've paid for certified copies of passports etc to support their applications to the IRS, but are being rejected. Obviously, I'm not keen on starting this process with no guarantee that it will actually work, and I imagine that it's putting off a lot of prospective developers.

Is it practical to pay non-US developers through a local MS office, so that…

537 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              17 comments  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • DirectX access for 3rd party developers

All phones support DirectX9 but we are limited to XNA. DirectX is not only faster, we can leverage our existing assets.

536 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                7 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Access to the Light and proximity Sensors

Access to the Light and proximity Sensors Please.

506 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  9 comments  ·  Sensor + Settings APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion.

Following up on this, access to the proximity sensor was added in Windows Phone 8.0 via the Windows.Networking.Proximity namespace; and access to most of the sensors was expanded in 8.1 via the WinRT Windows.Devices.Sensors namespace to provide access to the light sensor via the LightSensor class.

For more information, check out the following docs:
                  - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.networking.proximity.aspx
                  - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.devices.sensors.aspx

• Provide a Wallpaper API to enable in-app setting of device wallpaper

Photo apps, image download apps, etc would all benefit from the ability to directly set the device wallpaper (with the user's permission, possibly as a capability in the manifest).

501 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    15 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the suggestion and the spirited commentary; the capability to set the lock screen wallpaper (often also referred to as the wallpaper) has been added to the Windows Phone 8.0 developer platform. Download the WPSDK and give it a try. :)

That being said, the story has not changed for the start screen background.

• Keep sockets running until app is officially closed

I was excited about sockets support until I found out that on every single app I downloaded that use sockets, if I switch to a different app, the start screen, or turn off my phone's display, the socket disconnects. This sucks, for a number of reasons.

When switching away from my app, *as long as my app is still in the task switcher*, I want to be able to suspend the UI while maintaining my socket connection (and any necessary base operations required to do so). I don't want to have to reconnect to IRC or SSH or RDP every…

483 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      11 comments  ·  Network APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the suggestion and commentary. We are not adding this capability in the 8.0 release, but know that it is high on the consideration list for future Windows Phone releases as we look at continuing to improve the background execution experience for apps.

Keep those suggestions and votes coming!

• Integrate BackgroundAudioPlayer and XNA MediaLibrary

Allow the BackgroundAudioPlayer to play tracks from the MediaLibrary. Or allow applications that implement the XNA MediaPlayer class to run in the background.

467 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        11 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Don't mix games and apps - apps need visibility, too

Note:for this idea, apps = non-game apps

Currently, if you go into games, you only see games. If you go into apps, you see games _and_ apps. Since games sell much better than apps, apps have almost zero chance to be visible in the top apps section. Also, often games are featured even within the apps section. This puts apps in an unfair situation, where apps have to compete with games for visibility, even when the user has already explicitly selected "apps" in the main Marketplace menu. Users are also confused seeing games here.

Solution: Don't show games in the…

464 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          7 comments  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Although I don’t have official ‘this is completed’ from engineering, it doesn’t look like the new store experience (launched with WP8) still shows games mixed in with apps in the featured sections. Please let me know if this is not the care doe others.

As an aside, one lesser-known section in the store is the curated ‘Collections’ recommendations for apps; if you haven’t seen it yet, check it out. To see the curated Collections, open up the Store, navigate into ‘Apps’ and then click on the ‘Collections’ tile.

• Improve the Downloads/Sales Reporting UI on App Hub

Currently the App Hub provides a very simplistic reporting tool for tracking paid and trial downloads - with a single report row per Trial/Paid type and country. If you have several apps - this can result in several pages worth of data which has to be manually copied and pasted to Excel etc in order to determine totals (which cannot be automated due to https login). Additionally the parent graphs only show total downloads (with no breakdown of trial vs paid totals). There needs to be a proper 'export' to XLS/CSV function for all sales/trial data - as well as…

447 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            16 comments  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Improve SMS delivery notification

Now the SMS delivery reports come in as separate text messages which is very inconvenient. Wouldn't it be nice if - when enabled - a delivery report was shown right next to the message as an icon (approval mark or something)? You would instantly know that the SMS was delivered and if you wanted further details (delivery time) you just click on it.

443 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • App Hub登録審査に日本人、もしくは日本文化に精通している人を少なくとも一人は配置してほしい

ここのところアプリ登録が増えているせいか、無碍な理由でApp Hub審査落ちして一週間無駄にした、というような話をよく耳にするようになってきました。

例:
                              アルファベット混じりのアプリが複数言語混在問題で審査に落ちる
                              http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ja-JP/wpmarketplaceja/thread/ccc0be72-9eb9-4853-9aeb-e4bbdaf3aa87

日本でWPが出荷される前ならまだしも、もし本気で日本語Marketplaceを運営する気があるのならば、もしWindows Phoneを日本のマジョリティに普及させる気があるのならば、絶対に必要な条件だと思います。

別件ですがW-8BENの登録手続きに関しても同様の問題があると思います。

443 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Add EAP-TLS Authentication support for WiFi

Add EAP-TLS Authentication support for WiFi

Many organizations use EAP-TLS Wireless authentication using certificates and right now Windows Phone 7.5 does not support it.

432 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  4 comments  ·  Network APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the suggestion and commentary; I’m pleased to mark this suggestion as ‘Started’.

As announced at the Microsoft Worldwide Partner Conference and on the Windows Phone Blog, enterprise wi-fi support with EAP-TLS is now part of Windows Phone with Windows Phone 8.1 release.

• Allow updating of private beta applications

During development of WP7 applications I try to get my testers involved as early as possible. I usually provide them with regular updates when new functionality becomes available, unfortunately currently updating is not supported although the infrastructure is in place for public apps anyway.

424 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    13 comments  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Allow Developers to 'roll back' to a previous update without re-certification

Occasionally an update to an app gets past developer & certification testing and is released into the wild. Even if the bug is an easy fix for the developer it will take the certification team the standard 4+ days to certify the new build and publish it.

Instead of this we should be allowed to roll back to a previously published version without going through certification. That way the users will be back on a stable release (or will not be prompted for an update if they were still on the previous release) and the developer will not feel rushed…

421 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks folks for the suggestion and the on-going commentary. We’re marking this as ‘under review’ to acknowledge that the team is aware of this request. This is a very complicated/hard item for implementation, and there is a general feel that the new accelerated certification process alleviates much of the need (as an update can be published, for most folks, in less than an hour – rather than in 4 days).

That being said, continue to weigh in on the comments section.

• Detect whether user has rated the app or not

As a developer, the only way to increase app ratings and review is to prompt user.

At present there are no APIs to detect whether a user has rated the app or not. Some users get annoyed and down rate the app due to this very reason.

This is a very basic piece of functionality that has been missing for long.

Please provide us a simple API that gives us this information.

Alternative for us to continue work towards this http://invokeit.wordpress.com/2013/10/16/detect-whether-user-has-reviewed-your-app-or-not-wpdev/ however I am not keen on this purely because I can see this being abused very easily.

408 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        5 comments  ·  Dev Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Allow apps to listen for connections on a port

It would be great if an app could listen on a socket for incoming connections. This could enable many peer-to-peer scenarios between phones or phones and PC's

391 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          17 comments  ·  Network APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Please distribute the development device for developers of Japan

At the moment, Windows Phone 8 device does not sell in Japan. On the contrary, in the plight to be distributed (which do not apply the technical regulations conformity certification) devices that do not sell in Japan that do not emit radio waves in Japan to developers, Microsoft Japan will use a device satisfactorily I can not. If there is no plan to sell to the general user in Japan for some time to come, I would like to be governed by the laws of Japan, the sale of development for the device. And if not, you should consider as…

379 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            2 comments  ·  Dev Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base