Dev Platform

Welcome to the Windows Platform Developer (WPDev) Feedback site. This feedback forum provides the WPDev community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center Store (developer portal, back-end services, reporting/analytics and process)
  • Windows Stores (Windows and Windows Phone)

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team, providing feedback to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the development platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

If you’re new to this whole UserVoice thing, we’d like to note two important things about this site: (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and does not represent an actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request.

How can we improve the Windows platform?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Replace default camera application

As things stand today, Settings >> photos+camera only allows Microsoft + Nokia camera apps to become the default app.

I presume that other OEM camera apps would have similar privileges.

Please allow 3rd party camera apps e.g. my own 1shot camera app to be allowed to become default camera.

As these at present cannot be launched by camera button, their usability is affected.

68 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      4 comments  ·  Camera + Video APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Provide a Share Extension to Share Links from IE

In IE for Windows Phone, you have the ability to share a link to the current page you're on from an Application Menu Item. The options are as follows:

Messaging
      Social Networks.

I would like the ability to easily share a link to another application. It would work in much the same way the Photo Hubs Extension works. You would see a 3rd party app that supports the Share Link extension. Clicking it would open the app at a specified task. Then, one of the query string parameters that's used to launch the task could just be the URL…

67 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        4 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • HttpWebRequest - ability to set referrer

Add Ability to set referrer and other custom headers when using HttpWebRequest

66 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          1 comment  ·  Network APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add Header property to TextBox control

Even the "TextBox Control Design Guidelines for Windows Phone" (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh202916%28v=vs.92%29.aspx) says that a TextBox must have a Header such property isn't supported by the TextBox control. Even the "Windows Phone 7 Toolkit for Silverlight" contains some improved controls using Header property the TextBox control was forgotten? See also: http://forums.create.msdn.com/forums/p/76127/576970.aspx

65 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            3 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Internet Explorer Mobile でCSSの position:fixed をサポートして欲しい

CSSの「position:fixed」は、スマホサイトの制作において、ツールバーを画面上に固定しておく、ボタンを固定しておくといったケースで利用頻度の高いプロパティです。これをIE Mobileでもきちんとサポートしてください。

64 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • MediaPlayer support for BackgroundAudioAgent

In trying to develop a custom playlist application, it is apparent that it is impossible to integrate the BackgroudAudioPlayer with the XNA.MediaLibrary. This means that applications that wish to use the capabilities of the BackgroundAgent are restricted to using only local audio files that are deployed with teh application, or audio streaming sources. There is no way to access the phone's MediaLibray.Songs to have the BAP play these files in teh background. This is highly restrictive because we can only use the MediaPlayer for foreground applications. Unless of course we go with a predetermined SongCollection such as SongCollection limitedPlaylist =…

62 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                3 comments  ·  XNA  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Fix VoiceCommands so they work whether the app is in the foreground or not

Right now, Voice Commands registered for an app only work when an app is off, or in the background. They do not work if you are in the application already, and use Speech from the Windows key to navigate somewhere else in the app.

To the end user, it appears that the command is recognized and the system is taking you there, then it closes without actually doing anything. This appears to the end user like a bug in my application, not a system-wide OS bug.

I understand this was not necessarily the designed use case, but consider that the…

62 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • SJIS, EUC のエンコーディングのサポートをして欲しい。

外部データの読み取りなどで未だに SJIS や EUC を読み取らざるを得ない場合があります。この場合に備えて System.Text.Encoding で SJIS や EUC のサポートをして欲しい。
                  PC版の Silverlight でもサポートされていないようなので、難しいかもしれないですがお願いします。

もし標準サポートできない場合は、代わりに codeplex 等で C# 実装の MS謹製? エンコーディングクラスを公開して頂けるとありがたい。

当たり前の事ですが、 IE9 で SJIS, EUC のページを参照したところ正しくエンコーディングが行われているので、WP7 どこかにエンコーディングを行うコードはあるはずです。

62 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Allow HTTP Requests Started In The Foreground To Complete In The Background

It is a common scenario for the user to initiate a network transfer, then turn off the screen or switch to another app while the transfer is still in progress. Apps should get at least 60 seconds of background processing time to complete such network transfers and process the response. I'm aware that the Background Transfer Service is available, but there are cases where this is not usable, because it requires the data to be transferred to be written to temporary files in the storage. This is also a capability that other mobile platforms have, and I think it is…

60 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Network APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Allow access to Accelerometer / G-Sensor in Lock Screen or Low Power (Display off)

Many applications like need the Accelerometer or G-Sensor for working correctly like alarm clocks that wakes when the best sleep phase has been reached or Pedometers. But it currently only works if the Display is turned on and Lockscreen is deactivated. It would be more useful to activate this feature in Lockscreen or Low Power Mode

60 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Sensor + Settings APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • 使用微软账户开启手机

如果用户忘记了本地密码是不是很麻烦呢,这时候如果能通过“使用微软账户开启手机”是不是一个很人性化的选项呢?
                        并且,也请在微软wp8网站中加入此功能,用于远程登录手机。

58 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          11 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Deploy while debugging/deployment should unlock the screen

When developing with the phone connected via USB, having the screen lock itself is very annoying, and makes app deployment fail.

Some WP7 phone (not the AT&T Samsung Focus) have a "never" screen timeout. However this is for battery and powered scenarios, and you don't want to be manually switching it back and forth all the time. Some of us are stuck with a phone that locks itself all the time. The screen lock also interrupts or prevents app deployment. This makes Visual Studio fail to start the debugging session.

An app deployment should unlock the screen and reset the…

56 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            4 comments  ·  SDK - Tools + Templates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Improve the region restriction / advice handling for Marketplace Apps

The Windows Phone Radio and Windows Phone Blog Microsoft Marketing tools regularly feature new apps and games reviews, as do an increasing number of third party websites. In my experience one of the great frustrations of Windows Phone 7 is discovering from a new review or Blog that a New App is out that I have been waiting for – like Amazon, only to find it is a region restricted release and not available for the Australian Market.

This frustration is exacerbated by the fact that this point is not highlighted up front by anyone. Here’s an example of my…

56 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              3 comments  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Allow apps to read reserved file types on SD card

The SD Card support in WP8 is practically useless because built-in apps are the only ones allowed to access what are known as 'reserved file and URI associations'. (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/jj207065(v=vs.105).aspx)

This means it is impossible to create an app that plays video or audio files stored on the SD card. Many WP8 devices ship with only 8GB, which makes the use of the SD card essential, especially to store large files, such as video. We are presently working on a WP8 version of an app to play sign language videos, but are stymied by this restriction. We cannot read…

55 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                3 comments  ·  Phone Data Store APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Support for asynchronous pluggable protocol in IE (Internet Explorer)

Allow custom URI's in Internet Explorer, like nabto://device.company.net.
                                Basically implement the IInternetProtocol family of COM interfaces on Windows Phone 8 and allow us to add our own protocol handlers (in the Registry) - it is possible on Windows 8.

55 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • App Metadata Should Be Part of the Project

I would like to see the metadata be part of the project in VS. This would allow (as others have suggested) a more streamlined process for tracking changes and perhaps even uploading a single package without having to fill in the blanks. An editor (like properties/settings) would be great.

54 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    4 comments  ·  SDK - Tools + Templates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Windows Phone Dashboard web should be fully supported in IE11 on WP8.1

Since Internet Explorer 11 on Windows Phone 8.1 now supports file upload and download, the dev.windowsphone.com web should be also fully supported in IE11 on Windows Phone 8.1 devices.

It's quite a shame I cannot fully control my apps when I'm only on my phone. The most significant problem is probably the requirement of Silverlight browser plugin, that is not available on Windows Phone IE11.

And I know, we can use the "Dev Center" app for some common tasks, but the goal should be here the option co create new app in Dashboard from my phone, upload the xap/appx, upload…

53 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • flash player

Flash Player should be there so that more flash games and videos could be played.

53 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • WebBrowserコントロールで戻るや進む、再読み込みなどの機能を追加してください。

WebBrowserコントロールで戻るや進む、再読み込みなどの機能を追加してください。

52 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • 52 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base