How can we improve WP Dev documentation?

Provide knowledgebase articles for end users with admissions/information about known bugs.

At the moment (and particularly with the initial release of WP7 o/s and handsets) - there's a number of known 'bugs' in the platform - which is of course expected, understandable and 'forgivable' given it's a 1.0 release.

Unfortunately - developers quite often get blamed for these problems by end users (and in worst case are given a bad reviews such as '1 star') - as there is no education or information available to end users about any of these problems.

The big problem however is that Microsoft are simply not admitting to any of these problems - so developers are left to try and 'convince' users it wasn't their app (or that there's nothing they can do about issue).

A very common/classic example is the marketplace app bug in pre nodo updated devices where trial versions of apps could not be updated (unless user uninstalled app completely and reinstalled new version).

In case of abovementioned issue - the new Microsoft update information site simply referred to these marketplace bug fixes (for updating trial apps) as 'enhancements to marketplace app' (with no mention of the actual bugs being fixed).

This seems to be a very different way of dealing with bugs and fixes than in the past (ie. Windows/.NET/SQL Server/Silverlight developers are all used to frank and open admissions of bugs) - and Microsoft used to publish knowledgebase articles that could be referred to the users in these cases.

As a developer I'd have nothing but respect for Microsoft WP7 team if they were open about these bugs and fixes being done. At least we'd know they were being addressed - and similarly we could give our app customers the comfort of knowing that their problems will be fixed in future.

21 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    mobilewaresmobilewares shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...