Dev Center + Store

Welcome to the Windows Phone Developer Feedback site!

This forum focuses on the Dev Center (which includes the developer portal, back-end services, analytics and process) and Windows Phone Store. Additional WPDev forums are available using the links along the right of the page.

Suggestions provided via the WPDev UserVoice forum will be reviewed and read by the Windows Phone application platform team, providing feedback to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the WP development platform, and all suggestions will be considered.

Two important notes about this site: (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and does not represent an actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request.

NOTE: This is not a support site; for Dev Center or Store issues, open a support ticket! :)

How can we improve the developer portal experience?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Provide ability for developers to respond to user reviews/feedback

Currently the only way to reply to user feedback (posted in marketplace) is to put in your own review - which of course is only possible if your xbox live account is located in exact same region (and then other users may get annoyed based on what star rating you've applied to your response).

Although many developers (such as myself) put in direct 'tech support' email functions inside the apps - users unfortunately don't commonly use these.

Many times I see a 'bad review' from a user in another market - which is raised because user has not understood some…

2,072 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      39 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for the suggestion and commentary. The Store team continues to look at how to improve the app feedback/review experience (both for the consumer and the dev), and this suggestion is definitely something that is under consideration for a future Store release.

Keep those suggestions and votes coming!

• Prepaid codes for WP apps - Promo Codes for Reviewers

This has been in xbox arcade for awhile now and would be a good addition to the WP marketplace. Would be much easier to promote a paid app when you can give out a few free copies to people!

876 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        23 comments  ·  WP Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion and the comments. I should have done this sooner, but marking it as ‘under review’ to [at least] acknowledge it.

This is definitely something that we are hearing as a need, and it is definitely high up on the feature consideration list as the team looks at releases.

• Show a paid app w/ a "trial" option in the "free apps" category

When I create a paid app with a trial option, many users blow right by it because it doesn't show up in the "free" category even though a light version of the app is free (via the trial).

Some people are resorting to the super-inefficient Apple app store method of releasing 2 versions of the app... one that shows up in the "free" category and another that runs as a paid app. The "trial" is a fantastic concept, but it is hobbled by this oversight

701 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          36 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Provide a version specific release notes (changelog)

When app developers submit app updates to marketplace (and the user is prompted to install new updates - and can click through to a description) - it is desirable to sometimes inform users of what has changed in the new release.

Although these 'release notes' can be placed in app description - it isn't great marketing to put them there (and will be confusing and busy for user who has never downloaded the app before).

I think this sort of thing will be increasingly important with new o/s updates like mango where developers will need to be able to say…

540 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            4 comments  ·  WP Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Pay non-US developers through local MS office to make tax easier

At the moment, developers planning to sell apps need to have a US tax ID (ITIN, I think?), which can be awkward to get if you're based outside the US. In the AppHub forums, several developers have said that they've paid for certified copies of passports etc to support their applications to the IRS, but are being rejected. Obviously, I'm not keen on starting this process with no guarantee that it will actually work, and I imagine that it's putting off a lot of prospective developers.

Is it practical to pay non-US developers through a local MS office, so that…

459 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              15 comments  ·  Registration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Improve the Downloads/Sales Reporting UI on App Hub

Currently the App Hub provides a very simplistic reporting tool for tracking paid and trial downloads - with a single report row per Trial/Paid type and country. If you have several apps - this can result in several pages worth of data which has to be manually copied and pasted to Excel etc in order to determine totals (which cannot be automated due to https login). Additionally the parent graphs only show total downloads (with no breakdown of trial vs paid totals). There needs to be a proper 'export' to XLS/CSV function for all sales/trial data - as well as…

428 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                16 comments  ·  App Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Rate and Review enhancement

The Windows Phone dev center seriously needs an enhancement to Rate and Review options. There are many features that can be added to improve the whole experience from a developer's perspective.

Web portal enhancements:

1) Ability for Dev to contact the reviewer
                At times a certain feature isn't clear what is going wrong, or additional info is required from the reviewers. Developers should be given ability to communicate option to email reviewers.
                If you do not want to display / expose email addresses, consider using Amazon / Ebay member communication mechanism which effectively hides private email address whilst allowing communication. …

416 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  13 comments  ·  WP Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Allow multiple Microsoft Accounts to manage a Dev Center Publisher account

For corporate accounts, sometimes there is a need for more than 1 live id to access the dev. center. For example, more than 1 person from development team needs access to the portal as well as the development lead. Currently, all these people need to share the same live-id which is totally impractical as it can be a personal live id of a manager and he is not willing to share it with others. It would be really nice if access can be given to other live ids as well!

236 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    17 comments  ·  Dev Center Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Option to view All Locales/Markets in App Hub Reviews

When looking at a published apps reviews i'd like an option to see all reviews from all locales / markets the app is published to. At the moment its painful to filter through one by one to see what people are saying about your app

234 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      10 comments  ·  User Reviews  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Vastly improve stack-trace reporting

Stack traces are great, but some more information could be added, and provided for each individual crash:
                      1. The version of the app that crashed
                      2. The date of the crash (exact time wouldn't hurt either)
                      3. The exact OS version it crashed on
                      4. The hardware it crashed on
                      5. The language (or some sort of region info) used by the phone it crashed on
                      6. Anything else that would help us isolate a problem when we can't reproduce a crash on our own phones or in the emulator.

224 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        6 comments  ·  App Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Support for submission packages

A developer would like to ease the app submission process by being able to upload an app submission as a single archive package per submission. This archive (could be a ZIP file) should contain all of the meta-data (could be as an XML file) and supporting files (e.g., XAP, screenshots, etc.) that the Store team needs to ingest the app and provide it to the store. Apple provides a similar capability via iTunes Connect (https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/LanguagesUtilities/Conceptual/iTunesConnect_Guide/8_AddingNewApps/AddingNewApps.html).

This capability would not only enhance the submission experience, but it would also allow for Store submissions to be added and tracked in…

163 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          5 comments  ·  Cert + Publication  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Share data on active Windows Phones by OS version and device type

Similar to Android and Apple, Microsoft should share numbers around Windows Phone adoption among consumers, to enable me as a developer to make better decisions about what OS and hardware that I should support in my apps.

Information I would like to see:
                          - % distribution of OS by major/minor/build
                          - % distribution of memory level of device (e.g., 512MB, 1GB)

144 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            3 comments  ·  Dev Center Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • If an application cannot be published in a specific region lock only in that region.

If an application cannot be published in a specific region lock only in that region. Post inmendiatamente at other or at least let to choose whether want to.

114 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  WP Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Allow Windows 8/Windows RT users to buy and run Windows Phones Apps

The Windows Phone simulator for the existing developer tools has always been easy to use, and capable of running apps not only at full-speed, but in fact faster than what the phone hardware could do (even games that use heavy graphics).

In addition, the new windows phone developer simulator is going to be improved in the next version by running in Hyper-V, and additionally, Windows 8 will be coming with Hyper-V built in (I'm not sure about hyper-v).

So, I think the time is right to turn the existing developer Windows Phone simulator into a "consumer-friendly" version, that allows users…

112 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                3 comments  ·  WP Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Better marketplace filtering

Allow filtering of marketplace results within categories beyond pay/free/top/new by adding filter by rating (ex: 4+), by price (ex: <$1.99), by number of downloads (ex: 10000+), or allow blacklisting of developers (or developer rankings) so spam apps and spam devs could be avoided.

110 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  6 comments  ·  Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Merge the Windows and Windows Phone dev centers into one

The Windows and Windows Phone dev centers are totally different from each other. Other platforms manage to have a single dev center for phone and tablet. Please fix this soon by BUILD 2013 or the end of the year if needed.

110 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • active installations Vs total downloads

It would be good to know not only the number of downloads but also how many are active still.
                                    If you have seen the google store they show active installations more prominently than total download count - and that actually makes sense considering the amount of trash apps going around in all the phone o/s .

85 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      4 comments  ·  App Analytics  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Create a structured mechanismn for devs to market their Apps

One of the biggest issues that devs face is one that only rears it's head quite a way into the process as a whole. How should an independent developer go about marketing their Apps in order to increase sales?

Some kind of dedicated program from Microsoft aimed at independent developers in this area would be very welcome!.

83 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Make it possible to revert to a previous version of an app.

If we release an update and subsequently discover critical issues, it would be good to be able to "disable/hide" the update and have the previous version visible instead,

79 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Convert an individual account into a company one

I started as a sole developer, and now there's a group of us, and we are registered as a business with IRS. I would like to be able to convert my individual account in the Marketplace into a company one without losing my publisher name, my brand, my app portfolio and my user base. It is a common scenario in the "real" world, so why should it be impossible in the Marketplace?

76 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            3 comments  ·  Dev Profile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base