How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

Bluetooth Data Transfer APIs

Please provide developer platform support for bluetooth data transfer via SSP (Serial Port Profile). There are many bluetooth devices (e.g., medical devices, automotive, etc.) that we need to connect to.

2,400 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tadej shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  Cliff Simpkins responded  · 

The Windows Phone 8.1 release provides significant advances to the Bluetooth stack, and I believe most of this suggestions needs have been met (RFCOMM and name:serialPort is definitely among them),

For more information on the capabilities delivered in 8,1, please refer to the following resources:
- Windows.Devices.Bluetooth namespace docs (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/windows.devices.bluetooth.aspx)
- Build 2014 session on Bluetooth (LE) apps (http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2014/2-519)

207 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Paulo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey microsoft! I want my new windows phone to be able to share a photo by bluetooth! Just like all my old non smartphone did, and my old WM5 phone, and my old WM6, and my old 6.5... Got the picture? It's a basic feature.. common!

• Bill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need it to sync with OUTLOOK if MS is not going to develop a USB sync and continue to be irresponsible to their customers.

• Al West commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Certainly, without host USB support on WP7 (Coming in other platforms) Bluetooth comms is certainly a must have. Also should be support Bluetooth peripherals such as keyboard and so on for accessibility.

• Eric Duncan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely! We must get SPP to be competitive with other mobile platforms.

The Bluetooth SPP (Serial Port Profile) is how we use external devices to communicate with the phone. Some examples:

* High resolution GPS receivers
    * Remote controls, such as robotics and servos
    * Heartrate monitors and other measurements such as VO2 Max
    * Bike sensors (speed sensors)
    * Boating sensors (wind sensors, depth sensors)

And just about any device you can think of.

• Waleed El-Badry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hope that Serial Port Profile is supported to allow it to connect automated software on PC to it easily.

• Eric Weiss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was testing Mango in a Toyata Prius and I paired the Bluetooth. The calls and turn by turn navigation all worked through the bluetooth and over the cars audio system. But music tracks and podcasts would play over the phones speakers. There should be an option to output all audio over bluetooth.

The crazy thing is that if you connect an audio cable from the phone to the car's AUX jack. Then all the calls, turn by turn navigation, music, and podcast all play out the car's stereo system . Why should there be a difference when connected via bluetooth?

• HenryL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do not forget to add the full bluethooth support needed when using the device in a car (full access to contacts, hands-free usage etc). I know many people (at least here in germany) who put some priority on it when making the purchase decision.

• Cyruss1989 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Transferring photos is a must have!

It is really sad that I can not send pictures to those printers many stores have for top quality printing.

I have to save it on a USB stick first...

• TishawnFahie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft we want Wp7 OS to be Number ONe! We the devopers are who make the OS Great.. Give us the API'S and we will return the favor. Bluetooth APi's for Multiplayer Games etc..

• Waleed El-Badry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do agree. Not only in medical devices, but also in automation industries where exchanging data between control room of sensors and data acquisition and PDAs is very demanded. It is strange that the earlier version (Windows Mobile 6.x) fully supported that.

• kaorun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why WP7 does not play movie sound via Bluetooth headset(A2DP)? SCMS-T and MP3 codec supoort in A2DP profile too. Of course HID is top priority.

• shaggygi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need the Serial Port Profile ( SPP ) badly. Need to be able to communicate to serial devices like the SerialPort Class in .NET. Please add support!

• Jono commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+ 3 for the full range of bluetooth profiles. Not only medical, but RFID readers, printers, and so many more devices.

• DWhiteR1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows Phone needs bluetooth v4.0 at least, and the Marketplace will be a much richer place for it.
    Low power sensors such as heart rate monitors and cadance sensors integration into apps would pave the way for many really cool apps

• mithril commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is Eric someone from the WP Team? He plays down every single suggestion on this site without adding any suggestions or upvote anything.

Feedback and Knowledge Base