How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

Bluetooth Data Transfer APIs

Please provide developer platform support for bluetooth data transfer via SSP (Serial Port Profile). There are many bluetooth devices (e.g., medical devices, automotive, etc.) that we need to connect to.

2,400 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tadej shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  Cliff Simpkins responded  · 

The Windows Phone 8.1 release provides significant advances to the Bluetooth stack, and I believe most of this suggestions needs have been met (RFCOMM and name:serialPort is definitely among them),

For more information on the capabilities delivered in 8,1, please refer to the following resources:
- Windows.Devices.Bluetooth namespace docs (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/windows.devices.bluetooth.aspx)
- Build 2014 session on Bluetooth (LE) apps (http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2014/2-519)

207 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Medical devices sound great, but I'm not sure of the usefulness of transferring pictures and movies over Bluetooth.

• Kamen Nikolov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have an application for WM that prints receipts on Bluetooth printer. Without Bluetooth API it's totally impossible to port our application for WP7. I also think that this should be one of your top priorities.

• Rick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

According to me, Bluetooth api MUST be top priority on the list ! I' ve been developing apps on Windows for quite a while and one of my apps uses Bluetooth to transfer medical data... How can I port it to WP7 without BT?
    As a developer, do I have to turn to some other OS??? Don't get me wrong, I think WP7 platform is great, full of promises, but for God's sake! MS guys, please, give us the tools to make it better!!!!

• mithril commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was disappointed that nothing regarding Bluetooth was mentioned at MIX :(

• PHenry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having to require a wifi connection just to talk to a laptop is crazy IMHO. I would LOVE to be able to control my PC via bluetooth. There are so many potential applications, PPT remote control, machine locking/unlocking by proximity, transfer/sync files when in vicinity, medical field...those are just some that quickly come to mind.

• Mike Hole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I got my mum a Bluetooth photo frame for Christmas. Great everyone can send it pictures ... except me!

1 2 7 8 9 11 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base