How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

Bluetooth Data Transfer APIs

Please provide developer platform support for bluetooth data transfer via SSP (Serial Port Profile). There are many bluetooth devices (e.g., medical devices, automotive, etc.) that we need to connect to.

2,400 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tadej shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  Cliff Simpkins responded  · 

The Windows Phone 8.1 release provides significant advances to the Bluetooth stack, and I believe most of this suggestions needs have been met (RFCOMM and name:serialPort is definitely among them),

For more information on the capabilities delivered in 8,1, please refer to the following resources:
- Windows.Devices.Bluetooth namespace docs (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/windows.devices.bluetooth.aspx)
- Build 2014 session on Bluetooth (LE) apps (http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2014/2-519)

207 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Michele commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've windows phone 7.5 (Nokia Lumia 800) and I've buy it 1 year ago for 450 euro and I don't want buy a new phone now. I prefer have Bluetooth in this phone with update at 7.8. Thanks

• Michele commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've windows phone 7.5 (Nokia Lumia 800) and I've buy it 1 year ago for 450 euro and I don't want buy a new phone now. I prefer have Bluetooth in this phone with update at 7.8. Thanks

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

De want this for Windows phone 7.8. I dont want to buy a new phone for that. This is a basic smartphone feature. Else I've been cheated.

• Lewis Benge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any plans to extend this to BT4 LE and GATT support for fitness/health based accessories or just I raise a separate request for this?

• Gilhern04 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I gave up on windows when windows 8 came out and us early adopters got shafted, I just bought an iPhone 5 and I love it

• Eric Renken commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was at Tim Laverty's talk at build and I have gotten this to work with our RFCOMM hardware. I did have some initial problems but with a few quick emails with Tim and other MS engineer I was up and running. The only next thing I am looking for was a way to programmatically pair a device. Like if I see our hardware I want to set the PIN and pair to it and then when I am done disconnect. I guess that is kind of what NFC could help with if we added that to our hardware.

• Jono commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cliff, feel free to give Tim a nudge towards getting his sample blog post done for the RFCOMM stuff first ;)

I haven't looked at the code, but Tim has posted his BUILD samples on the WP Dev blog: http://blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/wpdev/archive/2012/11/19/networking-in-windows-phone-8.aspx with a look to getting the accompanying posts done soon. I'd love for him to make his next post the RFCOMM one, rather than TCP/IP :)

By the way, thanks for taking the time to respond!

• Admin[Deleted User] (Admin, Windows Developer) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Okay - some additional color on this (now that I'm back in the office and have bandwidth to add more detail to the UV posts). Out of the box, the developer platform does not have direct SSP APIs.

BUT, SSP apps can now be implemented on Windows Phone 8 (they couldn't be supported on WP7) with the addition of RFCOMM support, so a developer should be able to get a socket via peerfinder and build an SSP implementation on top of that. This was done for a couple demos (e.g., ********************* built an SSP implementation to control a ******** robot in his Build 2012 networking talk).

Moving forward, the team is planning on providing some deeper sample code...and there are a couple community projects that are implementing SSP on top of the platform and publishing it.

So while there isn't a ****** SSP API set on the developer platform, it is now possible to implement an SSP solution on WP. As such, I'll mark this as 'Started' - how does that sound to folks?

• Piet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for the suggestion and the spirited commentary; this capability has been added to the Windows Phone 8.0 developer platform. Download the WPSDK and give it a try. :) ???????

I tried , in visual studio 2012 , NO Serial port availlable in the toolbox !!!

Please Cliff,can you give a little explanation ?

Thanks, from all App to device developers

• Alex Ko Aung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completed? Where is Bluetooth SPP? If I am not wrong, there is no Bluetooth SPP in WP8SDK. Administrator, please show us if this Bluetooth SPP is already in WP8SDK.

• clody commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is totally INCOMPLETE !!!
    Fake!

Bluetooth implementation is really big **** !
    Please open this issue as it is INCOMPLETE.

Regards,
    Claudiu

• Magnus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So how do I bring up a serial port over Bluetooth ? I am trying to create a link between a microcontroller (w. bt) and my phone

• Lewis Benge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It actually appears that this hasn't been implemented, or at least documented. Currently the API does support communication with BT devices - however there is no support for SPP or RFCOMM. The only support in terms of BT messaging is either TCP or UDP: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/jj207007(v=vs.105).aspx. Essentially this is only good for app to app communication - and not any peripheral devices.

• PHenry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You say it's in there?! OH WOW! VERY COOL! Yes, I have to try it out! Thanks for the heads up!

• Jono commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Second highest voted request on the site and they still leave it out of WP8. I don't think it has been placed that high on the consideration list at all...

Also the visibility on this site is terrible - Laura's update was 10 months ago...

How's about someone on the WP8 team at Microsoft take a little ownership and update us. It's just common courtesy.

Of course, if it is in there, and my quick browse through the just-released SDK wasn't adequate enough to find it, I apologise, but otherwise I am just as annoyed :P

Please support this function so Pebble watch can make an app for WP8 users

We want bluetooth trnsfr.... :-/:-/:-/We We want bluetooth trnsfr.... :-/:-/:-/We want bluetooth trnsfr.... :-/:-/:-/We want bluetooth trnsfr.... :-/:-/:-/ bluetooth trnsfr.... :-/:-/:-/

Feedback and Knowledge Base