How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

Bluetooth Data Transfer APIs

Please provide developer platform support for bluetooth data transfer via SSP (Serial Port Profile). There are many bluetooth devices (e.g., medical devices, automotive, etc.) that we need to connect to.

2,400 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tadej shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  Cliff Simpkins responded  · 

The Windows Phone 8.1 release provides significant advances to the Bluetooth stack, and I believe most of this suggestions needs have been met (RFCOMM and name:serialPort is definitely among them),

For more information on the capabilities delivered in 8,1, please refer to the following resources:
- Windows.Devices.Bluetooth namespace docs (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/windows.devices.bluetooth.aspx)
- Build 2014 session on Bluetooth (LE) apps (http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2014/2-519)

207 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Doru Apostolescu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG) has published the profile for upcoming Windows Phone 8 on its website:
    https://www.bluetooth.org/tpg/QLI_viewQDL.cfm?qid=19535
    According to the profile listing, Apollo will support the transfer of files between smartphones.
    Moving up from Windows Phone 7.5 both the headset profile and serial protocol are missing from the specification read out, while Audio/Video Remote Control and Audio/Video Control Transport Protocol are sporting new versions, 1.4 and 1.3 respectively. To top everything off, it's Bluetooth 3 and not the latest version 4, which the Apple iPhone 4S already features.

• David commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To Oscar and Antao: No, MS has continued to ignore users and SPP is NOT supported on windows 8 (in Metro) or WP8. The links you are refering to is actually confirming this if you read them correctly. I will never recommend a portable device with W8 before MS fixes this basic functionality.

• Oskar Knobel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

http://goo.gl/reMGY - wpcentral.com reports on "expanded Bluetooth functionality, access to stack and transfer" based on evidence in a "leaked" SDK.

(if I am not allowed to post that information here, feel free to delete my comment)

• Ronald commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At this moment we only buy HTC android smartphones at work and i had a HTC legend. In mei this year i became a backer for the Pebble: E-Paper Watch.

Now i am testing Mango at work with the Nokia Lumia 900 with great Exchange integration. End of this year they ship my Pebble and i want to test it with Windows Phone 8.

So please add bluetooth SSP support.

• ninthsrw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With Apple's impending automotive integration I would have thought this would have been a priority for WP8 - after all Microsoft had a substantial first mover advantage the Windows Embedded Automotive products - it would make great business sense / a powerful use case if WP8 were able to interface seamlessly with the Windows Embedded Automotive products by enabling bluetooth data transfer via SSP!

• Alex Ko Aung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is Bluetooth SPP available in WP 8?

Please let me know if you guys know about it.

Cheers!

• Mel pullen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To everyone who is following this app. There is a bluetooth stack - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms880969.aspx

The handset manufacturers use it to provide the headset functionality.

It is the same situation as with WM6, eventually Microsoft issued source code that did the right thing. Is anyone a member of the Microsoft Premium Shared Source program? That may have test code that some of us in this comment thread could work with?

• Angela commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Two words: Pebble watch. Long-time Android user here who could be persuaded to move to WP; main thing holding me back is if it won't talk to my Pebble I won't buy it!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like lower level protocol support as well such as L2CAP for talking to devices

• Kevin Sweeten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are 1.2 MILLION Realtors in the U.S. This is 1.2 MILLION customers Windows Phone doesn't have because of this issue. We rely on our smartphones for key safes made by Supra. Here is their response to my inquiry as to when they will support Windows Phone: "That is still not compatible. There is a *small* chance that we will support the Windows 8 phones at some point, but not currently."
    There app works on iPhone and Android and has for years. Get with it Microsoft. 1.2 MILLION customers are waiting. Whomever is to blame for this should be fired immediately.

• Kevin Sweeten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What was Microsoft thinking when they released windows phone 7 without this feature. iOS has it. Android has it. Windows phone doesn't. And they want to become a market leader. Shame on you programmers.

• Alex Ko Aung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No reply from Admins for so long already. Why no reply from Admins? Can we expect to get this Bluetooth SPP feature in very near future? Or we just forget Windows Phone development due to this important feature?

Cheers!

• Mihai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

VERY VERY VERY NECESSARY !!! I am very serious thinking of moving to android, my WM6.5 very developed application, which I worked very long on. Should I wait for MS to upgrade with Bluetooth Data Transfer via SPP ? Porting to WP7 would be much easier for me, but this one is critical for me and my company.

Feedback and Knowledge Base