How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

Bluetooth Data Transfer APIs

Please provide developer platform support for bluetooth data transfer via SSP (Serial Port Profile). There are many bluetooth devices (e.g., medical devices, automotive, etc.) that we need to connect to.

2,400 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tadej shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  Cliff Simpkins responded  · 

The Windows Phone 8.1 release provides significant advances to the Bluetooth stack, and I believe most of this suggestions needs have been met (RFCOMM and name:serialPort is definitely among them),

For more information on the capabilities delivered in 8,1, please refer to the following resources:
- Windows.Devices.Bluetooth namespace docs (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/windows.devices.bluetooth.aspx)
- Build 2014 session on Bluetooth (LE) apps (http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2014/2-519)

207 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Gamaliel Mendez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a medical app developer and very important to me is so bluetooth communication in medical devices, which may offer alternatives to solve such communication. greetings and thanks

• Hugh McNeill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm on my 2nd WP7 phone and beginning some app development. However without SSP, etc ... I'm starting to question whether I'll get another one in the future.

Based on the lack of a recent response, I'm going to assume this isn't part of Tango. If it similarly doesn't appear in Apollo, I think I'm moving to iOS or Android.

• Rich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please look into sharing API's with 3rd party HW like the Pebble Phone soon to ship with iOS and android connectivity i want to be axle to use it with my Nokia Lumina 800 (!)

• Antao Almada commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm now a backer for the Pebble smartwatch project and I have an WP7 phone. This feature is required for them to work. Please make it happen!

• TheTock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have recently purchase a vehicle with Entune and the Bing app. But it doesn't work because I have a WP7, and there is no app to connect the BT to Data Service on my phone.
    Is it possible to know if I should hold out for the feature in 7.5? Or to know if it will even be in 8?
    Thanks,

• Matt Rajca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd love to be able to talk to robots such as Lego's NXT over Bluetooth from Windows Phone 7.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

you really have to work this problem with the Bluetooth. it's very annoying, and it will make you loose many of your clients.

• Tr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really need this for an enterprise application that need to be rewritten from Windows Mobile.
    This is a show stopper!

• Alex Ko Aung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Laura Reed,

When will it be available? It is so important and basic feature for our application as we need to print out receipts with Bluetooth mobile printers. Right now, we are considering very seriously to change platform to Android. If this feature is going to be available in a few months, we can wait. Otherwise, we really have no choice and we have to move to Android platform.

Cheers,
    Ko Aung

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also need bt SPP in WP7 , I upgraded from visial studio 2008 to 2010 for a lot of money , to make app with serialport like i did in 2008 version for mobile 6.5, but ik came to me as a shock there in no serialport support in this new version at all , so convert form 2008 to 2010 is not possible
    please add this option ASAP !

• aftabalam8c1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is the insult of Microsoft that their wp7 can't send data via Bluetooth.
    I didn't knew that otherwise I will never buy

• Eric Duncan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I gave Microsoft over 1.5 years to implement this, along with my $100 WP7 developer fee, and with a recent comment stating that Microsoft will not be doing this, I'm leaving WP7. Great idea, but not rootable and not customizable. Going back to Android of where I can root, wifi tether, get 4G back, connect my heart rate monitor for my biking, connect my high resolution gps for data logging - all on one device.

Though I am really going to miss the ease-of-coding that WP7 had.

Sorry Microsoft. I tried. I really did. Wrote several apps, but mostly waiting on Bluetooth SPP connectivity (even won prizes for now nice my apps were, waiting on Bluetooth SPP, where I couldn't release it). I convinced several friends to dive in to get a WP7 (though none of them have the Bluetooth pains I do), and I still recommend it to anyone who doesn't do bluetooth, or tethering (non geeky people).

But since WP7 isn't very AARP friendly (the new Android Ice Cream Sandwich is the first PERFECTLY SCALING font and input OS, beating out iPhone 4S and WP7 by far <- personally tested BTW), I have to recommend Android Ice Cream Sandwich devices to the crowds that cannot squint small enough to read their phones.

Release the source code
    + Allow rooting
    + Stop restricting the community.

= And it will take off. It's the formula Google used for Android, and now Android is #1. Continuing to restrict consumers to keep the service providers happy isn't working in this day in age.

Feedback and Knowledge Base