How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

Bluetooth Data Transfer APIs

Please provide developer platform support for bluetooth data transfer via SSP (Serial Port Profile). There are many bluetooth devices (e.g., medical devices, automotive, etc.) that we need to connect to.

2,400 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Tadej shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Completed  ·  Cliff Simpkins responded  · 

The Windows Phone 8.1 release provides significant advances to the Bluetooth stack, and I believe most of this suggestions needs have been met (RFCOMM and name:serialPort is definitely among them),

For more information on the capabilities delivered in 8,1, please refer to the following resources:
- Windows.Devices.Bluetooth namespace docs (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/windows.devices.bluetooth.aspx)
- Build 2014 session on Bluetooth (LE) apps (http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2014/2-519)

207 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sanjay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bluetooth data transfer should work with any Bluetooth instrument.

• B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please please add this. like many have mentioned a bluetooth HR monitor is my key goal for this....

• MerchantAnywhere commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel the pain.

FYI - We were told directly by the top execs at a widows conference last year that Microsoft will NOT support SPP on Phone 7x. And it seems to be, so far, the case for any upcoming WP8.

We've got a small mobile printer and printer/card reader (not to mention PIN Pad ICCN readers, NFC Payments, etc...) that work on Android, certified on iOS, and even the old Windows Mobile, Symbian, Palm systems. But we've simply dropped any need to develop on Windows Phone until a method to communicate with external devices is addressed.

• Kevin Sweeten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Apparently this is a necessary platform for our bluetooth "FOB" to access Supra key safes used all over the country by Realtors. With this working on a windows phone you'd probably sell a lot more of them given there are about 1.2 million of us in this country. That's a lot of sales for smartphones! These FOBS work on every other smartphone so I finally had to get an iPhone because I was tired of waiting.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find it difficult to understand why Microsoft "works closely with law enforcement" to ensure direct data dumps are available for WP7, before it was officially launched in Nov 2010. yes, big brother can download all of your contacts, emails, IMs, and Facebook contacts (yep, they knew about that too in WP7).

But yet, BlueTooth SPP (Serial Port Profile) is going to be 3+ years late?

Really puts the priorities in check there, I suppose.

• Kirdyashkin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Im really disappointed. WP7 is still "raw" platform that needs to build up lots of features to get to "well done" level

• Kirdyashkin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Im not waiting for another year to get new basic must have updates. This is ridiculous.

• Anastasia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So? what's the problem? Why are you thinking for such a long time?
    We want normal functions, nothing special - just what every normal phone has!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every simple Car HiFi Equipment Supports BT. Every iPhone User can enjoy Music in the Car. We dont want more, we need only the old good 5tandard5...

• rohit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it still under consideration by Microsoft bdt app is still no where in market

• Luc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that the ability of Bluetooth connection could open a market for bt accessories that could mean more diffusion of wp devices.

• Nicolas Soto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

La transferencia de archivos via Bluetooth, es importante para muchos de ustedes, pero hacer que el Bluetooth sea capaz de acceder a los archivos del sistema se refiere a convertir WP en sistema operativo "libre" con ungestos de Archivos, lo cual lo muy haria vulnerable. Tanto como Android.

Feedback and Knowledge Base