How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

Allow applications with push notifications to display them on lock screen

Been hearing this one a lot, and i'm sure a lot of other developers could use this as well. But it would be great to allow applications with push notifications to display an icon on the lock screen just like email/messaging. Even though its convenient to simply unlock one's phone and check the live tile, it'd be even easier if they didn't even have to unlock their phone at all to see if they have something important going on. In the future, this could be really useful with messenger clients when socket support is added, twitter, google voice, etc etc.

1,239 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

simbadogg shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

35 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Charlieboy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Once again, the reply the end-user receives is "this will be in WP8" - but we don't have WP8, we have 7.5. We're unlikely to upgrade having only recently purchased our handsets. You're basically telling us that rather than adding a feature to the OS in question, you've made it available with an entirely different product.

What happened to shelf life for products? Our handsets are made reduntant when still the hardware is within the bracket of current generation tech. Buying a Windows Phone is clearly not a safe investment with out money...

This is insulting and has pushed me further away from Microsoft yet again.

• Richard Nalezynski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

See "Lock Screen Charms" on the Consumer site:
        http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions/suggestions/2748381-allow-for-lock-screen-charms-for-app-data-from-pus

This is indeed important but I believe that this can happen "for free" if the framework supports it properly. If the information is already being pushed then "bubbling up" the information is just a matter of the system allowing it to go to another location.

• simbadogg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, i guess it could be more of a user end request, but i think i'm of the opinion that it's also just as important for developers because it's one of the requests that i hear the most from end users. being able to easily see updates to their app, and why they actually have to unlock their phone to see the live tile and can't see an update on the lock screen like text, email, missed calls, voicemail etc

• Rico commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this is a very big issue...! I'm working on a news app, user are requesting push notification like on iOS, but the notifications on WP7 disappear after some seconds. This way they are senseless as most of the user will not see the push notifications...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very good point about push notifications
        Also, icons on the lockscreen could be dynamic buttons to direct access the information, like the music controls, but maybe with a long click or smart move.
        First time I saw the emails notification buttons, I wanted to click on it in order to open the new messages screen of email app.

• Robin Maas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It was not my intention to compare functionality as such, I just have a hard time believing that as soon as the phone goes asleep, you can not receive any notifications anymore... This effect is basically killing the use of an WP7 app as Whatsapp for example...?

• Robin Maas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is it that you need to have your data connection on if you want to receive notifications from apps when your phone is asleep? The iPhone does not have this behaviour now, does it?

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Finally!! Windows 8 is doing this so it makes total sense (maybe even more so) for the phone to do the same.

• NikoGJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good idea. but as it was said, the number of notifications displayed at the same time would be a problem to fix

• Sk8Teezy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or something like Blackberry's The Led lights when you have new notifications , It will be awesome

• jaymondo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could have the small icons listed along the top of the screen (so the audio controls would cover it), but they scroll left to right.

• Fogwp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's the same option a little bit up... Push notification could stick on blockscreen

• Carl H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For example when I get many sms in a row - it gets really confusing

• Eric Hon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with everyone here, especially the idea from Nicolas Ramz that the lock screen should have a sticky counter for toast notifications, and utilize the ME tile as the "notification center".
        I recently started using Tango and missed the notifications (calls) due to being on vibrate mode. Then I realized I should've pinned the Live Tile as a solution, but a notification center could serve as a fantastic backup.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base