Universal Windows Platform

Welcome to the Windows Platform Developer (WPDev) Feedback site. This feedback forum provides the WPDev community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center Store (developer portal, back-end services, reporting/analytics and process)
  • Windows Stores (Windows and Windows Phone)

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team, providing feedback to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the development platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

If you’re new to this whole UserVoice thing, we’d like to note two important things about this site: (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and does not represent an actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request.

How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. F# support in .Net native for UWP

There has been some discussion on the blog post http://blogs.msdn.com/b/dotnet/archive/2015/07/30/universal-windows-apps-in-net.aspx?PageIndex=2#comments for supporting F# in the .Net native toolchain for UWP. I had posted this on the VS uservoice site https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio/suggestions/7542181-add-f-support-for-net-native but it looks like that was the wrong place to do that. I hope the votes that request got will be considered for this. A lot of people are moving to F# PCLs for library code and to be able to use those PCLs in the UWP and get native compilation via .Net native tools would be great.

849 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      7 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Add support for 'XmlnsDefinitionAttribute'

XmlnsDefinitionAttribute is an absolutely great attribute for Control Library developers. It allows the developers of that control library to greatly simplify the xaml by reducing the number of XMLNS declarations they need.
      The only way around this is for the control vendor to throw every single class that might be used in XAML (not just controls but other types too), in the same namespace, creating a very ugly unwieldy API to code against.

If you use a 3rd party control library or you're a control library vendor, you should vote for this. It'll save you a lot of typing, looking…

221 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        3 comments  ·  XAML APIs (WinRT)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • ScrollViewer overpan API

Currently when you overpan a ScrollViewer, where's no way to tell how much negative offset it is unless you do hacks like calculating it every 50ms via a Timer.

This will make interesting actions like 'Pull to Refresh' very hard to implement.

Would be nice to have an event to listen to this with a OverpanOffset property or something.

183 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          3 comments  ·  Controls  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Haxe API

The Haxe language API should be included in the supported APIs. Haxe is basically C++ and javascript (two of the supported languages for windows development). Right now, APIs like lime and regexp (a Haxe javascript API) are not accepted.

193 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Make Universal Windows Platform Open Source and Cross-Platform

With the advent of //build 2015, the vision and direction of Microsoft seems to be open source and cross platform. This appears to be the case for every new product from Microsoft except for the Universal Windows Platform.

It would be great, ideal, and wonderfully awesome to see this platform reach consistency with the rest of the organization and embrace the ideals, values, and benefits from being open source and cross platform like other areas of Microsoft now are (or are on their way to being).

Please provide consistency throughout the entire Microsoft development ecosystem!

515 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              6 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • New ranking algorithm in marketplace

If I search something the first app in the list should be the one with the best user rating and most frequent updates, even if the app is not the official one.
              For example If I search Instagram the result should be:

User's favourite app/Recomended app): 6tag
              Official app: Instragram BETA
              and then al the others.

A lot of official apps are almost completely abandoned (like Istragram Beta), but some unofficial clients are really amazing. The main problem is that the new users don't know about third party clients/apps so, in my opinion, this could improve a lot the user…

130 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • MaskedTextBox Control

The TextBox control is the most used control in a Windows program. It also cause a lot of problem either from QA or the user because of invalid data that was entered. Using a masked control will save a lot of time for the developer and reduce the complaints and bugs

331 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  on the backlog  ·  2 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Splash screen for UWP apps should be optional

Currently you have to provide a Splash Screen to get your app to pass the certification kit, which should really be a developer's choice like before.

Splash screens are evil.

http://vgable.com/blog/2010/01/13/splash-screens-are-evil/

http://cyrilmottier.com/2012/05/03/splash-screens-are-evil-dont-use-them/

https://medium.com/@DevAhamed/splash-screens-4afa874ed70 (Its not Branding, Its Annoying)

You don't have to agree with me and all the links above, but at least make it optional.

151 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • API to Turn Off Screen

Please allow to turn on/off device screen via API to save battery.
                    Keep the app running, but with screen off.
                    Actually I have an app called "photo spy" that requires a black screen to save battery. But it only save battery with oled displays.

Bellow is the link of app:
                    https://www.microsoft.com/pt-br/store/apps/photo-spy/9wzdncrdckrl

204 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Enable Blur and Transparency XAML Effects to Allow for Creative see-through UI designs

The new start menu features the Aero (transparency and blur) effects we all love. It'll be great if we can enhance our own apps with the same effect where we choose. In addition to transparency and blur on any control, give us the ability to apply the effect to the base container, thus making portions of our application see-through to the desktop.

In other words, I want to be able to create designs such as this: http://i.imgur.com/27fUxtM.jpg

Providing more design options, allows us to diversify our application's interface designs and set it apart from others in the market.

343 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        on the backlog  ·  4 comments  ·  XAML APIs (WinRT)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Support SVG elements in XAML

The high-level ask is to support using SVG within a XAML tree. The SVG data may be inline or loaded from a source (local file or remote from the web)

There are few current tools for converting SVG to WPF/Silverlight-based XAML but they fall short when dealing with more complex SVG data.

Here are a few scenarios:

- Apps loading svg content from a remote web server. This should work just like any other kind of image data. Remote xaml isn’t likely allowed, and even if it were, there’d be resistance to providing vector art in two formats when SVG…

249 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          3 comments  ·  XAML APIs (WinRT)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Ancestor binding missing

Currently the RelativeSourceMode only supports None, TemplatedParent and Self.

Would be really helpful to have FindAncestor API added, just like in Silverlight 5 and WPF.

108 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  XAML APIs (WinRT)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Provide fix for c101a7d1 when updating, 80004005 when installing, license reset on reinstall

Microsoft Support recommended me to post the issue here. There seems to be a long-standing serious issue with the Store (or possibly the dev portal) which needs to be addressed urgently. There's a history of apps affected by this issue and possibly more apps to be affected in the future if the issue goes unfixed.

The problem starts after a certain app update. The symptoms are as stated in the title. Certain users who had installed the app prior to the problematic update are affected. Fresh users are not affected by this issue. While it is possible to reinstall the…

726 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              49 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • ToUpper property on TextBox

Please create this option native to TextBox control
                              It's very usefull in WinForm projects and could speed up development on universal app too.

678 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                2 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • UWP SQL Server API

Please support a native connection to Sql Server over IP:PORT

90 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Phone Data Store APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Transfer application from one account to another

Apple iTunesConnect provides ability to transfer application between accounts. You can specify application ID and application package, rating, description are transferred right into that account. Amazon Store and Google Store have this option too but it's available through email request. That's quite important feature especially if you want to combine several applications under the single account. You even can't acquire successful applications and transfer it under your account...

Having said that, Dev Portal doesn't have such option and if you have in-app purchase you have to unregister application and register it again under a new account which means you loose…

134 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    on the backlog  ·  3 comments  ·  Dev Portal + Publication  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Migrating your Windows Phone 8 app to a Windows Runtime XAML app

Please create a tool to convert WP8 Silverlight to Runtime app.
                                    Create a tool to migrate as much code that is compatible with universal app and mark with the error that is not compatible. This facilitates a basic migration at first then we can concentrate on improving the app for the new interface.

782 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      6 comments  ·  Dev Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There are a number of efforts in process to help developers bring their Windows Phone Silverlight apps to the Universal Windows Platform (UWP).

Rudy Huyn has announced an upcoming effort he’s working on to make this possible, and Windows showed off a tool that will help developers bridge their WP Silverlight code into the UWP. More information coming on this as we hear more.

• Allow Windows Runtime public class inheritance

Windows Runtime is a great platform, but it lacks some really basic things.

One of those basic things is public class inheritance. Windows Runtime should allow public non-sealed classes. This is already implemented for XAML classes, now this should be available for all Windows Runtime components.

You could also consider implementing this partially: for example, allow inheritance only between managed WinRT classes, and deriving managed classes from native WinRT classes.

51 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        2 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Allows 1080x1920 pixel screenshots to be uploaded to Dev Center

When uploading screenshots, we are given the choice to upload one of the these sizes: 768 x 1280, 720 x 1280, or 480 x 800 pixels

I would like to recommend adding the ability to upload screenshots in 1080x1920 pixel size. Lumia 1520 takes screenshots in 1080x1920 size and having to resize 8 screenshots across multiple languages is not how a developer should spend time. 1080x1920 is the same aspect ratio as 720x1280 so it should be easily down scalable.

36 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Windows 10 UWP should support Reflection.Emit for Mocking frameworks

The lack of Reflection.Emit in UWP significantly impacts the ability of developers to create clean, AAA-compliant unit tests in an MVVM environment (the recommended architecture for building UWP apps). With no Reflection.Emit it is impossible to build a Mocking framework for providing testable implementations of interfaces used in Dependency Injection.

67 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            1 comment  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 140 141
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base