Universal Windows Platform

Welcome to the Windows Platform Developer (WPDev) Feedback site. This feedback forum provides the WPDev community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center Store (developer portal, back-end services, reporting/analytics and process)
  • Windows Stores (Windows and Windows Phone)

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team, providing feedback to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the development platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

If you’re new to this whole UserVoice thing, we’d like to note two important things about this site: (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and does not represent an actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request.

How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Unneded Data in Baseimage

Hi,
    I noticed that there are unneeded Parts in the Base Image,
    (At least they look unneded to me.)
    Like the Content of the Folter 'c:\Program Files\WindowsApps\DeletedAllUserPackages'
    Or the 3 WER-Reports witch are send (almost) every time we ran the Converter.
    There are also a couple of Temp Files witch may be unneded.

Not sure if there is any reason to keep them, or if it makes sense to remove them, but they look mostly unneded to me.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • MetadataProcessor Error while "Preparing Virtual File System" - "Processing metadata"

Hi,
      After adding a EXE witch deletes Files & Folders witch are to long and running a unmodifies version of the converter again, it stopped/crashed like this:
      VERBOSE: Getting count of files under C:\DesktopAppConverter\97dc3ef2-babf-44d1-89ef-8b61b28a8598\output\VFS
      VERBOSE: Processing metadata on 57173 files...
      VERBOSE: An error occurred. Refer to logs in C:\DesktopAppConverter\97dc3ef2-babf-44d1-89ef-8b61b28a8598\logs
      MetadataProcessor.exe : Error code: 80004005
      At C:\Temp\DesktopAppConverter\DesktopAppConverter\converter_util\VfsOps.ps1:37 char:9
      + & $MetadataProcessorExecutable $fileWithBackupMetadata $file. ...
      + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (Error code: 80004005:String) [], RemoteException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NativeCommandError

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        1 comment  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Allow global windows shortcut keys (Desktop)

There is a lot of apps (including mine) that would really benefit from global shortcut keys. Whether the app is running or not, it would be nice to hook/register a single hotkey that will call some event in the app. A great example is WunderList. Shortcut key on mac lets you globally create tasks, windows does not have this option.

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Ribbon Control

Add an easy to use and customizable Ribbon control like the ones found in the Office Mobile apps, that scales on PCs to Phones. While we can implement it ourselves, it does require a lot of work, and putting it in a XAML control would make life so much easier.

2 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Controls  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Add PowerShell to Device Portal

There should be a PowerShell prompt in Device Portal that lets me run extra commands.

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Windows Device Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Failed to create network

I am using build 14316 and I am getting this error when running the converter:

Setting up Conversion Environment

[2016-05-02T12:57:47] Checking network config...
              [2016-05-02T12:57:47] Necessary network config not found
              [2016-05-02T12:57:47] Configuring network
              [2016-05-02T12:57:48] Creating new virtual network: "Windows Desktop App Converter Network"
              [2016-05-02T12:57:48] An error occurred. Refer to logs in C:\DesktopAppConverter\31bd6ec3-99a2-45fd-b03d-1ed32c3ed90a\logs
              [2016-05-02T12:57:48] Failed to create network
              [2016-05-02T12:57:48] at NewCWACNetwork, C:\converter\DesktopAppConverter\converter_util\CWACNetworkSetup.ps1: line 102
              at GetOrCreateCWACNetwork, C:\converter\DesktopAppConverter\converter_util\CWACNetworkSetup.ps1: line 67
              at <ScriptBlock>, C:\converter\DesktopAppConverter\DesktopAppConverter.ps1: line 295
              at <ScriptBlock>, <No file>: line 1

Any suggestions?

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                2 comments  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Document porting exisiting win32 apps towards UWP

During Build 2016 it was shown a demo where an existing converted win32 centennial application could start leveraging the UWP platform to migrate slowly the code. It was shown in Visual Studio a solution where the old code was in a subproject and the uwp code in another one. It was also explained that the two processes (win32 & UWP part) can communicate and so forth but none of this is documented anywhere, and I can't see any evidence in Visual Studio of such support. When the documentation is coming for that?
                Thanks.

4 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Centennial should be an SDK - not a mere converter

It should be possible to create Visual Studio Centennial Project in WinForms, WPF, Win32, MFC, etc, which should also allow mixing of UWP Code (Like XAML UI) with full interop between native and UWP Platform. This should be the standard way to create and distribute powerful applications that are not restricted by the sandbox like universal apps.

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  SDK - Tools + Templates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Developer Response for Reviews - How the opt out by user should actually work

Just like an user have right for review, so should developers be able to RESPOND TO EACH AND EVERY REVIEWS submitted to the Store. If an user plans to opt out from a response from developer, DO NOT EMAIL THE USER A RESPONSE, but STILL ALLOW A RESPONSE TO MADE PUBLICLY VISIBLE.

Needless to say why, because the current implementation is being exploited to submit false reviews and not allowing the developers to respond.

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Only genuine reviews and ratings please - to benefit both consumers and developers

Currently it is possible to submit multiple reviews on an App from the same device which is being exploited for long to submit one star reviews of our App (and maybe vice versa).

For phones, by default only one review should be allowed per device irrespective of the account being used for the review. This is because it is extremely easy to create a fake Microsoft Account. So only the latest review from a device should be made visible and added to the rating and all previous ratings and reviews from that device should be disabled.

For a desktop/tablet where…

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Integrate HockeyApp in the Dev Center

Since Application insights for mobile is discontinued soon, the dev center analytics will be broken.

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • configure email with ssl port - Windows mobile 10

I tried to configure an IMAP account with SSL port numbers as mentioned on http://www.windowsphone.com/en-in/how-to/wp8/email-and-calendar/set-up-or-delete-an-email-account

It used to perfectly work fine on Windows phone 8.1. I recently upgraded to Windows Mobile 10 it has stopped working. I had set SSL port numbers for my email account but mails don't sync. I configured the same port numbers on Office Outlook client and things work perfectly fine.

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Improve Exceptions for WinRT/UWP

Actually, exceptions thrown by UWP APIs are just painfully awful. Please, bring back old-schoold and detailed exceptions like in the rock solid .NET for Win32.

Too many empty StackTraces, too many "An error as occurred", too many approximative and vague exceptions.

I understand that the unnecessary JavaScript made WinRT insanely complex to design... but please... Exceptions are there for a reason... Not to just be "an error has occurred" message.

Thanks

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  SDK - Tools + Templates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Add ms-appdata Uri protocol for LocalCache folder

It would be great to have a way to point files in the LocalCache folder via ms-appdata protocol.

If you want to provide stuff that must not be included in the app backup but should be easily reachable via Uri, the LocalCache is here to help, but we can't reference it at the moment.

That's pretty weird.

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                0 comments  ·  Phone Data Store APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Allow us to create xaml (ex. music control) to action cenger

if we can't use xaml for Live Tiles and then allow us to create xaml in action center, ok.

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Live Tiles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Project Centennial not working on latest Preview build 14328

Please make it work with the latest Win10 Preview build 14328 - it's currently giving "The operating system of the container does not match the operating system of the host" - I assume due to BaseImage-14316.wim being for 14316 - "BaseImage-14328.wim" needed I think.

7 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    5 comments  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Open source Windows 10

At this of the New and Open Microsoft, it would only make sense for Windows to be Open Source. Competition for Desktop OS market share is ever-growing, and in a time like 2016, Apple is no longer the major competitor. Google and Linux are now creeping in, with Linus Torvalds announcing his 25 year vision of Linux conquering Windows. Google might be bringing Android apps to Windows through Chrome. This is all done quietly and shouldn't be taken lightly. The only way Microsoft can divert a possible turn-over is to compete is to Open Source Windows on GitHub. In a…

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Dev Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • support.net framework

I created my test app and my setup.exe by using c#.
                                      DesktopAppConverter.ps1 maked appx of my test app. Then install my appx, so I launch my test App.
                                      Then show error message "To run this application, you first must install one of the following version of the .NET Framework v4.0.30319".
                                      I think Baseimage-14316 include .NET Framework v4.0.30319. Why?

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • DesktopAppConverter.ps1 report the error on Build 14328.

I updated Insider Build from 14316 to 14328. Then descktopappconverter.ps1 report the error about Network setting on Isolation environment.
                                        So I uninstall Hype-V and Conatiner, then enable Hyper-V and Container feature.
                                        On this result, desktopappconverter.ps1 report error.
                                        ----------------------------------------------------------------------
                                        [2016-04-25T13:02:01] Checking network config...
                                        [2016-04-25T13:02:01] Necessary network config not found
                                        [2016-04-25T13:02:01] Configuring network
                                        [2016-04-25T13:02:02] Removing all existing NetNat instances
                                        [2016-04-25T13:02:02] Creating new virtual network: "Windows Desktop App Converter Network"
                                        ----------------------------------------------------------------------
                                        Then Windows crush, Blue Screen, dump, then reboot.

When I check DesktopAppConverter whitepaper at https://msdn.microsoft.com/ja-jp/windows/uwp/porting/desktop-to-uwp-run-desktop-app-converter. So download link is "We are sorry" as http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=785437.
                                        What's happen?

4 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Re-issue the [public facing] windows API as Ada 2012

Ada 2012 has the ability to express pre- and post-conditions and add them in an easy manner; if these were to be put into the APIs you could block erroneous data from being passed into the API's function, which in turn should make things more stable (or at least give more meaningful error-messages than 0x80072f8f, 0x800f0906, 0xc004f074 and the like).

Ada also has excellent language-interfacing and can directly import C and C++ functions w/ ease, so you could use Ada as a simple glue-language, merely letting it perform your pre- and post-condition checking for you.

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 129 130
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base