Universal Windows Platform

Welcome to the Windows Platform Developer (WPDev) Feedback site. This feedback forum provides the WPDev community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center Store (developer portal, back-end services, reporting/analytics and process)
  • Windows Stores (Windows and Windows Phone)

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team, providing feedback to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the development platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

If you’re new to this whole UserVoice thing, we’d like to note two important things about this site: (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and does not represent an actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request.

How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Change the Store search engine algorithm back, to as it was!

Change the Store search engine algorithm back, to as it was.
    To make it possible to actually find an app by its title.

I have made an app, when I search for it, 10 apps pops up, and my app isn't any of them. I just chatted to support, they told me that it was because the name was too generic. Well, the 10 apps showing when I search for the title, has NOTHING to do with the word I searched for, and the search word is the exact title of my app, and yet it doesn't show (not at…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Store Search  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Provide Feedback SDK

Windows 10 has a great feedback system. Microsoft should provide a SDK for developers to intergate such feedback system in their Apps.

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  SDK - Tools + Templates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Windows 10 Store Deficiency

REF: Microsoft Customer Support Ticket SRX1300544873ID, Aug/15/2015

Mobility Software Products, Inc. (MSPI) currently has two Paid Windows 10 applications in the Windows Store. They are called “MSPI CodeBook” and “MSPI ObjectX”. Both reside within the “Security” category.

CodeBook’s primary purpose is professional grade AES File Encryption.

ObjectX’s primary purpose is professional grade AES File Encryption plus seamlessly-integrated Private Cloud Storage and Secure Object Exchange (i.e., using Azure).

WIN-7: Using a Windows 7 PC and Internet Explorer, a potential Encryption-Seeking customer, who knows nothing about the existence of the MSPI applications, is able to find them by using the following manual…

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Windows Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • add a body to cortana as a widget

for halo fans add downloadable content as a 3d body of cortana with lip syncing of what she says and interaction when tou click on her like a "talikng tom" it could be added in external content in the new halo don't know?

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • task bar

when a program is pinned to the task bar it would be great if it was sent to the top left when opened, like just next to the show task button.

3 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Allow 3rd party apps to set ringer volume and mute/vibrate settings

Please allow API access for 3rd party developers to set ringer volume/mute/vibrate.

Business case: Home and enterprise users would most likely pay for an application that will control behavior of ringer volume and notifications based on geographic location.
              There is a market for this type of application, allowing a 3rd party to develop it would:
              1. Generate revenue for Microsoft through selling the application in the app store
              2. Allow Windows Phones to compete for end users and enterprise clients on par with Apple/Android (Currently these phones have applications that include location based ringer volume)
              3. Allowing a trusted 3rd…

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Sensor + Settings APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Launching app from URI protocols without searching on store

Launching app from uri protocol without searching on store rather returning that app not available.
                We should have an option in the API to know whether to search for the app in store or just return error if not installed.

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Communication APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Implement System.ComponentModel.TypeConverter in WinRT APIs

TypeConverter is helpful because it allows the author of a type to provide intrinsic support for determining to/from which types a type may be converted and actually converting between types - most typically for converting to/from string but other types as well.

22 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  XAML APIs (WinRT)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • New ranking algorithm in marketplace

If I search something the first app in the list should be the one with the best user rating and most frequent updates, even if the app is not the official one.
                    For example If I search Instagram the result should be:

User's favourite app/Recomended app): 6tag
                    Official app: Instragram BETA
                    and then al the others.

A lot of official apps are almost completely abandoned (like Istragram Beta), but some unofficial clients are really amazing. The main problem is that the new users don't know about third party clients/apps so, in my opinion, this could improve a lot the user…

152 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • AppointmentStore.GetAppointmentCalendarAsync does not respect AppointmentStoreAccessType

With UWP, an AppointmentStore retrieved via RequestStoreAsync(AppointmentStoreAccessType.AppCalendarsReadWrite) will still return non-app calendars from GetAppointmentCalendarAsync.

This is different from the Windows Phone 8.1 behavior and inconsistent with FindAppointmentCalendarsAsync (which will not return those calendars).

This can give an app the false impression of being able to modify a non-app calendar (until a Save is attempted and fails with unauthorized exception).

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Add official support for the Modern C++ projection written by Kenny Kerr

From http://moderncpp.com/

"Modern is a Standard C++ language projection for the Windows Runtime. The Modern compiler produces a header-only library designed to provide Standard C++ developers with first-class access to the Windows API.
                        It takes advantage of C++11 and beyond to provide a truly modern language projection for the Windows Runtime. So while it is still COM under the hood, a C++ developer should think in terms of references rather than pointers. Practically nothing is off limits to the developer hungry for power, but you don’t need to sacrifice productivity or safety along the way. About the only thing that…

15 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Disable app ratings/reviews in Preview builds

Developers shouldn't get bad ratings and reviews when something is broken in a Preview build just because you release unfinished builds to users who have no idea what Preview means, other than getting the new cool stuff first.

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Windows Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Window 7 modification

Not everybody wants a toy and moving tiles around by touch. Some want a tool that satisfies their need, not create problems. Photos, email, internet, games, and stability in their learning curve. It takes years to learn how to handle windows 7. I have not finished yet and I am learning everyday. I recently learned how to block the installation of window 10, for example. I know it could be more plaisant, more colorfull, graphically improved, still better tuned to my real needs. And I would gladly pay for that.Forcing a phone toy on my PC and forcing me to…

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • [UWP] Add support to the Launcher for files from any place even in a BackgroundTask

At this moment the Launcher when launchs an URI it only supports http uris, it will be interesting that supports file:/// uris to send the launcher to open PDFs, words, and any file with just the URI, we do not need the StorageFile.

And in a BackgroundTask, the Launcher just does not launch websites, it is interesting to launch websites and reports in the computer in the morning saving time.

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Add support for 'XmlnsDefinitionAttribute'

XmlnsDefinitionAttribute is an absolutely great attribute for Control Library developers. It allows the developers of that control library to greatly simplify the xaml by reducing the number of XMLNS declarations they need.
                                The only way around this is for the control vendor to throw every single class that might be used in XAML (not just controls but other types too), in the same namespace, creating a very ugly unwieldy API to code against.

If you use a 3rd party control library or you're a control library vendor, you should vote for this. It'll save you a lot of typing, looking…

230 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  4 comments  ·  XAML APIs (WinRT)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • microsoft account login

No signin/ signup using Microsoft account on this very website seriously?
                                  I signed up using my Facebook account.
                                  The other option is Google account.

While being open is great, have you forgotten something here?

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Dev Portal + Publication  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Add PanePlacement Top and Bottom to SplitView

Seeing as SplitView is a control used to divide content between and pane and content area, it would make sense for SplitView to allow a PanePlacement.Top and PanePlacement.Bottom in addition to its current Left and Right parameters.

This change would allow Developer to be able to consider the usage of SplitView when targetting small WVGA/WXGA such as the Lumia 520/525/530 which have an extremely thin horizontal resolution compared to its available vertical space.

If this change was made, it would be easier to target a UI to low resolution/low end devices by being able to set the pane to top…

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Controls  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Make Windows 10 emulator available for non-pro users

I used to have an old PC with Windows 8.1 Pro but I couldn't use Windows Phone 8.1 emulator because of my old hardware (I could however use Windows 8.1 emulator). Today I own a more powerful PC with an i5 and 8GB of RAM, but with Windows 10 family. Although my hardware configuration support Hyper-V, I can't use Windows 10 emulators because I don't have Windows 10 Pro.
                                      As a student, I'm a little out of money and I can't stand paying again for an emulator that I'm sure Windows 10 family is perfectly able to run, for it…

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  SDK - Emulator  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • A New and Simple Way to Pin to the Desktop

This also applies to icons. At present, to pin an application to the desktop in all versions of Windows, one must find the executable file, right click on it, choose to create a shortcut, be told Windows can't create a shortcut here, and select Yes. My suggestion is to add an option to pin the application in use, for future use, when an application is open. One way to do this is to provide an option to create a shortcut to the desktop when an application is open. One way to do this would be to add such an option…

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Live Tiles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • splitview

Would e nice to make split view behave the way Surface home screen behaves OOB. We end up writing lot of custom Styles in XAML for Split view. Further, SPlitview should have option to display only the button in compact mode.Right now in compact mode the pane is always visible. There are few standard patterns for navigation and if Split view has those OOB then developing apps because a breeze. Developers should be focusing more on App as opposed to implement the standard navigation pattern and spend effort on styling.

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  SDK - Tools + Templates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 140 141
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base