Universal Windows Platform

Welcome to the Windows Platform Developer (WPDev) Feedback site. This feedback forum provides the WPDev community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center Store (developer portal, back-end services, reporting/analytics and process)
  • Windows Stores (Windows and Windows Phone)

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team, providing feedback to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the development platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

If you’re new to this whole UserVoice thing, we’d like to note two important things about this site: (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and does not represent an actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request.

How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Desktop app converter is stuck

I am having the same problem when trying to convert a C# WinForms app. I followed the instructions at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/porting/desktop-to-uwp-run-desktop-app-converter. Setup and base installation (using BaseImage-14393.wim) goes well but when converting it gets stuck at:

"Waiting for installer process to complete inside Isolated Environment"

I tried another C# WinForms app and that one crashed (bluescreen) my system, twice.

Command I used:

DesktopAppConverter.exe -Installer "C:\Users\B\Documents\Visual Studio 2015\Projects\app\app\bin\Release\appName.exe" -InstallerArguments "/S" -Destination C:\Users\B\Desktop -PackageName "pakName"  -Publisher "CN=pubName" -Version 0.0.0.1 -MakeAppx -Verbose

System info:
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise
    Version 10.0.14393 Build 14393
    System Manufacturer Apple Inc.
    System Model iMac13,2
    System Type x64-based PC

Logs:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/88261688/DesktopAppConverter.log

I would really…

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • In-app Notification History helper

The combination of toasts and Action Center provide a convenient lightweight way to communication with users, but after notifications are read they disappear. Some apps could benefit from an easy way to not only send a toast notification but also maintain a notification history users could view afterwards.

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UWP Community Toolkit  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add a clock control inspired by Material Design

I'm currently working on a clock control for my UWP todo-list app 2Day (www.2day-app.com).

I'm creating this control using inspiration from the great Material Design WPF toolkit. The very early work in progress version is available on my repo: https://github.com/japf/uwp-material-clock

Would you be interesting having this control as part of the UWPCommunityToolkit?

If you think that control could be part of the toolkit, we can start discuss the requirements so that I can submit a PR :-)

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UWP Community Toolkit  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add a Toolbar to UWP

In UWP we have a CommandBar, but it seems it's not easy to use to build a classic toolbar for a desktop application. A toolbar stacks items from left-to-right, and it would be great to have such a toolbar in UWP like we have it today in WPF and several other desktop programming models

6 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  XAML/Controls APIs (UWP)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • We need a classic TabControl for Desktop applications

For a classic desktop application, we need a TabControl. Currently you can use the Pivot or there are 3rd-party vendors providing a TabControl. But as this is such a central control, it should be part of the platform.
            If you build it, it would be great if you could add configurable close-functionality to the tab-header that is bindable to a ViewModel.

7 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  XAML/Controls APIs (UWP)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Put a HierarchicalDataTemplate into the Platform

You're building on a TreeView-control, as your backlog on https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/platform shows. I'm using the TreeView of your official samples on https://github.com/Microsoft/Windows-universal-samples/tree/dev/Samples/XamlTreeView. The point that I really miss when working with hierarchical data is the HierarchicalDataTemplate like we have it today in WPF. So I suggest that you bring the HierarchicalDataTemplate to UWP. It makes especially sense when you release a control for hierarchical data like the TreeView.

11 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  XAML/Controls APIs (UWP)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Support for tables in the MarkdownTextBlock XAML Control

The UWP Community Toolkit Sample App contains a page on how to use the MarkdownTextBlock control. The Markdown text used for demonstrating the features contains code for a table, which unfortunately isn't rendered as a table.

So the output looks like this:

> Reddit has the ability to represent tabular data in fancy-looking tables. For example:
                > some|header|labels :---|:--:|---: Left-justified|center-justified|right-justified a|b|c d|e|f

It would be nice if tables would work.

2 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Extent FutureAccessList Limit and/or introduce user choice

1000 entries as limit for FutureAccessList is way to low.
                  Please increase the limit way up or remove it completley.
                  Optional show an user input dialog, requesting access to the file or folder and let the user decide.

Best practice until now:
                  Store the folder containing the file wont exceed the limit as fast as storing each file in the FutureAccessList.

One Exception where a folder can't be added:
                  A big downside hides in DragDrop (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/app-to-app/drag-and-drop)
                  If you add files from across the filesytem, which I do in my app... letting the user drop in images and videos…

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File IO / Data Store APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Windows Store policy changed or bug?

Hello,
                    I don't for how long but I noticed it a few days back that there is a change in de Windows app store seacchresults.
                    If you type in a keyword or search on "Windows PC apps" you also get mobile only apps in the results. PC apps are harder to find this way.
                    Also I noticed that in the Mobile store apps are shown twice after search with a keyword. For expample searchword "Tinder".
                    Is this new policy or is it a bug?
                    Thanks!
                    Best Regards,
                    Eugène Schouten
                    (Qwabber)

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Classic Main Menu

When building line-of-business-apps for enterprises, we often focus on desktop only. Today we're using WPF for these tasks. But if we want to use UWP for it, we would need a classic menu like we have it in Visual Studio and serveral other "expert applications" (=app with a lot of functionality) that require more than just a hamburger menu or some flyouts

28 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  XAML/Controls APIs (UWP)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • report control

I'm converting some wpf apps to uwp and I'm missing a report control.

A control similar to the FlowDocumentReader/ FlowDocumentScrollViewer would be really awesome!
                        For ref: http://www.wpf-tutorial.com/rich-text-controls/advanced-flowdocument-content/

Similar request but a report control for rdlc support:
                        https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-universal-windows-platform/suggestions/14680293-please-include-rdlc-report-viewer-control-into-the

Thanks

3 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• ucrtbase bug: _wspawnve is broken

There is a serious bug in CRT (ucrtbase) which is part of Windows 10.
                          The long story (please read it, since it contains all information about this bug): https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/PY-17069#comment=27-1803709

The short story:
                          _wspawnve is broken when launched from Explorer (not cmd) because ``cenvarg.cpp`` expects undocumented environment variable ``=C`` (covered here: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20100506-00/?p=14133) and this variable is not provided by Explorer.

Tool to reproduce.

```
                          #include<process.h>
                          // Works from cmd.exe, but not from Explorer on Win10 :)
                          void main() {
                          const wchar_t* const args[] = {L"c:\\windows\\system32\\cmd.exe", L"/?", NULL};
                          const wchar_t* const envs[] = { L"FOO=BAR", NULL};
                          int r;

_wspawnve(P_WAIT, L"c:\\windows\\system32\\cmd.exe", args,…

5 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Open up VirtualizingPanel and OrientedVirtualizingPanel

Currently, it is nearly impossible to create a custom virtualizing panel. In WPF we could inherit the base classes to re-use the existing base functionality. But in UWP it is impossible because the base classes have private constructors, and the other classes are sealed. A lot of custom controls do not use virtualization, because it is so hard to implement in UWP. This makes the controls hard or even impossible to use with large collections.

Please open up the base classes for inheritance, and provide a sample how to create a custom virtualizing panel.

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Limit the speed of background downloads

If an application wants to manage downloads, i think it's important that it can limit the speed of those downloads, like a method DownloadOperation.SetBandwidth(long bandwidth)

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Background Processing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Emoji control

Add emoji control to easily render emoji in a page. A single emoji or even a collection of emojis.
                                Here is the list of Microsoft emojis : http://emojipedia.org/microsoft/

Based on an example (http://emojipedia.org/penguin/), the control should handle at least one of these properties :

* Unicode (ex: U+1F427)
                                * Shortcode (ex: :penguin:)
                                * Name/Tag (ex: penguin)

Linked to GitHub https://github.com/Microsoft/UWPCommunityToolkit/issues/944

6 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• AdControl on Xbox in Retail Mode crashes app, works fine in Dev Mode or on Desktop & Mobile

AdControl on Xbox in Retail Mode crashes app, works fine in Dev Mode or on Desktop & Mobile. Something has changed in the Microsoft Store Services SDK framework or in the Microsoft Advertising SDK for XAML library that is updated automatically to the Xbox since February 9th 2017.

To repro, download any app from the store which contains ads and it will instantly crash on the spash screen. I've had to take ads out of my app to make it run and stop users complaining but now that means no income until this is fixed

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Dynamically Load Assembly

Add the Assembly.Load method which accepts byte[] as a parameter in order to load an assembly in to the app domain. All the other platforms support this: .Net, Silverlight, Android (Xamarin), and even iOS (Xamarin)!

Why is the UWP team stubbornly resisting this? Without this UWP is more or less a toy because any customization requires that the app be deployed completely separately. Other platforms allow for customization to be downloaded and dynamically loaded in to the app domain.

22 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Enable the "Acrylic" effect (CreateHostBackDropBrush) via a XAML brush resource

At present when we want to display the upcoming Blur Acrylic effect in our apps, we have to create a control using the Composition APIs and CreateHostBackDropBrush.

This effect be applied by a simpler XAML resource brush.

So if we want the SplitView Pane background to use the Acrylic blur effect, we apply a {ThemeResource Acrylic1Brush} and it just works.

2 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Provide an API to retrieve current application icon for running appx app

With apps increasingly going the encrypted route, our app (EarTrumpet) is finding it harder and harder to retrieve the running appx app's current application icon (i.e. the icon you see in the taskbar).

Extracting the icon via FindWindow/etc. APIs is messy and not appropriate for loading scale sensitive assets. Parsing the PRI is only possible in unencrypted appx scenarios.

6 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Saturation

Add support for changing saturation animation. Would be very useful when you for instance want to convert an image to grayscale. There is already a solution for blur, modifying this for to use saturation would be quite easy.

2 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 95 96
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base