Dev Platform

Welcome to the Windows Platform Developer (WPDev) Feedback site. This feedback forum provides the WPDev community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center Store (developer portal, back-end services, reporting/analytics and process)
  • Windows Stores (Windows and Windows Phone)

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team, providing feedback to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the development platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

If you’re new to this whole UserVoice thing, we’d like to note two important things about this site: (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and does not represent an actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request.

How can we improve the Windows platform?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. use shadow effects

use shadow effects on the windows

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Allow developer unlocking more devices

Currently, a paid developer account can only developer unlock 3 devices. If one wants to do some compatibility testing of one's code, 3 devices is a very very low number - almost any beginning developer can easily run into this limit.

After searching the web, I found suggestions to contact the support to have the limit raised - which I did - but they would only allow it to be raised to 5 devices, which isn't much of an improvement.

They said that to raise the limit further, I would have to have at least 3 apps published. In my…

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Dev Center Registration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Fix Map control so that it is possible to databind/add multiple objects in Universal apps with reasonable performance

When you add items to the map and then pan the map the items aren't following the map but are lagging behind.

If you add more than a few, like 25+ the performance is so bad that you have to wait for a few seconds after you stop to be sure that the pins/controls are in the right position.

This is only happening in Universal apps if we make a Silverlight app the pins are following the map like they should even if more than a few hundred items are added.

There are lot's of posts about this around the…

7 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Controls  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Stay consistent with Identity and/or Package Version

With Universal Apps, the Windows Phone Dev Center will pull the Identity version number (and not allow us to change it in the store). This version number is shown on the app's "details" page in the Windows Phone Store.

Visual Studio's Create Package wizard allows one to assign a version number, however, this assigns the Package version number. This is not shown in the Dev Center. Using this wizard alone, sets the Identity version number to a datestamp.

In addition, in the Windows Phone Store "history" page the app's Package number version is shown.

Please stay consistent. Either use the…

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Default Submission Info (Like Screenshots) That Is Applied To All Languages

We always lose a lot of time updating an app because:

1. We have to delete one image at a time to replace it
            2. We have to populate all languages one by one, even if the content is exactly the same (very annoying and unproductive!)

So there should be default values for Screenshots, Logos, E-mail, Website, etc. Having to duplicate it is really not nice.

Thanks,
            @brunolemos

4 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Ability to Increase The Toolbar Icons From Small/Medium or Large.

Unable to increase the size of the Toolbar Icons without increasing the percentage for the display. When I increase the Percentage from 100% to 125% it also increases the appearance when I work on Office 2013 EXCEL. spreadsheet and I have to readjust by deleting lines so that the area for a typical 81/2 X 11 sheet of paper doesn't bleed into 2 pages as oppose to just 1 letter size page.

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • shebang

It would be nice if Windows could detect script files with shebang lines (#!) at the beginning of the file, and execute scripts with the executable denoted in that line. Or, barring that, have a tool that allows a user to determine which executable a script file is launched with (given the executable named in the shebang line), and which passes along the script path and arguments to the user-defined executable (which could be a shell, interpreter, script engine, etc).

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Improve the payout system

The current payout portal does not accept 8 digit Swift numbers, it requires obviously 11 digits, which is not correct. The payout has been delayed by months. Request for a compensation has been rejected in a very arrogant and unbelievable way by Derrick Jones, though the fault is on Microsoft's side.

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Extend download reports to include all downloads back in time.

Being new to reporting I find I cannot go back and get Windows or Windows Phone downloads all the way back in time, but rather am stopped at some arbitrary back date. I realize the field structure changes, etc. But at a minimum MS needs to offer the data back in time in whatever structure they have it stored, and let us munge as we need. Else I cannot accurately predict long term trends, etc. Thanks!

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Dev Center Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Migrating your Windows Phone 8 app to a Windows Runtime XAML app

Please create a tool to convert WP8 Silverlight to Runtime app.
                      Create a tool to migrate as much code that is compatible with universal app and mark with the error that is not compatible. This facilitates a basic migration at first then we can concentrate on improving the app for the new interface.

36 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Dev Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Windows Universal System Information API

Please provide an API where one can query for any system information or device info data. Its currently spilled all over the system into a bunch of unrelated APIs, Registry, and files. WMI exposes it, but its just simply, an awful way to retrieve the basic info in a modern ecosystem.

The *nix ecosystem handles it beautifully with the "proc" filesystem. Windows unfortunately has no equivalent of it, and is a nightmare for developers, unless they know exactly which APIs or Registry Keys to look for.

4 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Allow Deployment or Testing With Multiple Phones Attached to One Computer

Currently it is not possible to deploy an app to a device if you have multiple plugged in. Connecting to the device will fail. This means you must have exactly one plugged in for your deployment and testing to work.

I would like some way so that I can have my various devices (each with different form factor) get the latest build deployed to them all or a select number of them instead of debugging simply failing. This would speed up the testing process and prevent the shuffling of phones on my desk I currently have to do.

Basically, replace…

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  SDK - Tools + Templates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • External USB Hard Drive dosn't show a disconnect when you use the "Safely Remove Devices" when you want to remove it from the computer.

When removing an External USB Hard Drive from my computer by using the "Safely Remove Device" icon bottom left near the clock doesn't show that the device was properly removed from the computer. Although when I plug my External Hard Drive in, there is an pop box that appears bottom left that tells me that the device has been plugged in and is ready to use and a folder appears with what is on my external drive.

2 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Add "@" button on the titlebar to provide feedback on the spot

As for the "?" button on windows to access the help manual, a "@" button would allow developers to receive feedback from final users. It would work both for Microsoft, e.g. Windows 10, and for third party applications.

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  Dev Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • First Open Source IE

Open Source IE, You are not making any money off of IE. Then why keep it closed , also every other browser is light years ahead of IE, then what strategic advantage does it serve ?

Keeping IE closed will hurt the company , and making it opensource will expose tons of bugs initially but in long run if you are able to build a successful open source community may be it may turn around the plates and many developers who left windows might comeback.

Not many people want to use IE infact many people i know first download a…

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Web Browser Control APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Make all country-specific content policies explicit in the Store certification guidelines

The current Windows Phone Store certification guidelines mention that some policies exist for some countries, with China as an example, but this is not very useful compared to the old list which made every guideline explicit.

Please add the content policies back to the guidelines, i.e. a list of country groups and the exact requirements that these countries impose on published apps.

For instance, China doesn't allow references to disputed regions... but what's a reference? Is displaying a map centered on a completely different part of the world OK? Many Arabic countries do not allow references to alcohol, but is…

3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Dev Portal + Publication  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Updated reporting tool data discrepancy

Please can you confirm when the app download reporting fix will be issued?

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Dev Center Reporting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • 1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • App not appearing in store search results ("Wegman's")

I successfully published an app at the end of January 2015 to the Windows Phone (and Windows 8.1) app store. When I search for it by exact name "Wegman's" on my Lumia 1520, there's only one result, and it's not this app. (A search for "Wegman" does return results that do include my app). I have other apps with an apostrophe in the name, but they come up in searches as expected (e.g. "Erica's Run"). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! -Jim Wilcox, The Granite State Hacker

2 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          1 comment  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • webview NavigateToLocalStreamUri

In windows phone 8.1/windows 8.1 was added to the webview the method NavigateToLocalStreamUri wich uses a IUriToStreamResolver to send the resources to the webview.

This control is not compatible with XMLHttpRequest but only with HTML requested uri (eg: image src).

Should be possibile to use the same control to intercept local XMLHTTPRequest (with all data - headers, POST data) and respond to the client (a structured response will be appeciated.. not only the byte[] of the resource..).

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Web Browser Control APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 128 129
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base