Universal Windows Platform

Welcome to the Windows Platform Developer (WPDev) Feedback site. This feedback forum provides the WPDev community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center Store (developer portal, back-end services, reporting/analytics and process)
  • Windows Stores (Windows and Windows Phone)

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team, providing feedback to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the development platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

If you’re new to this whole UserVoice thing, we’d like to note two important things about this site: (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and does not represent an actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request.

How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. compass = Compass.GetDefault(); is null

Sometimes Compass.GetDefault() returns null and compass stop working in all apps.
    To solve I need to restart the phone.

Lumia 930 with Windows 10.0.14393.82

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Increase Cortana Limits for Voice Commands

In the following MSDN Magazine Article it is mentioned that there are some limits for Voice Command Deffiniton files.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/jj721592.aspx

7. Keep in mind the limits: 100 Command elements in a command set; 10 ListenFor entries in a command; 50 total PhraseList elements; and 2,000 total PhraseList items across all PhraseLists.

Please increase these limits (Maybe as an opt in). I use Windows SAPI quite intensively for an application I have built and many Grammars are easily much bigger than the limits imposed by Cortana. This makes it a bit tricky to port the recognition engine part of the application…

5 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        2 comments  ·  Cortana/Speech  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Get All Cookies without Uri

In UWP in Windows.Web.Http.HttpCookieManager you can only get Cookies via this API

public HttpCookieCollection GetCookies(Uri uri);

Unfortunately I am not going to know all uri's the cookies are in without tracking every single domain visited (which is what I currently have to do). I do this so I can clear all Cookies.

An API that would take 5 minutes for someone to write up and save me a lot of coding is

public HttpCookieCollection GetAllCookies();

Or secondary to that a DeleteAllCookies() or ClearCookies() API as that is the only reason I need to get all of them and I can't…

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Project Centennial appx submission developers assistent?

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/projects/campaigns/desktop-bridge

The above link is like black hole since no e-mail confirmation and no developer-submission assistent' name or nickname provided, time shedule, etc...
          It seems like run out of responsibility by Microsoft.

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • z-index

bring back the z-index on desktop app(lications)
            to bring a window ! to the top
            (since windows are no pages on the desktop.)

1 vote
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              0 comments  ·  Device - Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Capability "runFullTrust" not accepted by store when publishing app

I've installed the Centennial DesktopAppConverter and have successfully converted my first Win32 app into UWP,
              works great!

But when trying to publish the app on the store (which is a company account), I get the error below:

Package acceptance validation error: We don’t allow the capability you’ve specified: runFullTrust.

Package acceptance validation error: You don't have permissions to specify the following namespaces in the appx manifest
              file of the package ASD.appx: http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/manifest/foundation/windows10/restrictedcapabilities

I'm using the default settings from the "Centennial" app converter, without the "runFullTrust" setting, the app will not run at all.

What do I need to do to…

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Lack of documentation surrounding /Extension/Logo element

Context: https://msdn.microsoft.com/windows/uwp/porting/desktop-to-uwp-extensions

Completed example at bottom defines an extension-specific logo but it's not documented. What is it for? What are the metrics for this logo?

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • TabTip - Title Bar customization

Developing WIn10 IoT based applications, we are looking for a way to utilize the TabTip keyboard. To do so, it is crucial we can remove the Close button, or complete TitleBar from the TabTip keyboard.
                  User interaction depends on it.

Searched up and down to get this done in Windows 10, no success.
                  Similar has been accomplished in pre. used Win CE where MS granted more access to source code.

Many Thanks.

3 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Input (Mouse, Touch, Controller)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Allow global hotkeys to launch UWP Apps

Allow UWP apps to register a shortcut like [ctrl] + [F3] with the system.

When that shortcut is pressed by the user, the UWP app should be launched by the system.

3 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      2 comments  ·  Device - Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Is the exe file supposed to be the application itself or the installer?

When manually creating an appx file, what do we put as the exe file? We don't have an installer yet, and when using the app itself as the exe - it "installs" but then when it runs it auto closes. Perhaps it's because this can't be done without an installer?

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Ability of Desktop App Converter

I have some queries about ability of Desktop App Converter to convert Win32 desktop application to UWP. Currently, I have a VB6 legacy application which run in Win7 32-bit and involved lots of VBA codes with MS office 2010 members - MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access and MS Outlook express. Besides , some third parties ActiveX controls such as Sheridan Data Widget and True DBGrid were used. In this conneciton, I would like to seek your professional advice and share your experience whether such kind of Win32 VB6 application is technically feasible to use your of Desktop App Converter.

4 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • What is Microsoft's plan for converting long lasting VB6 legacy application?

Since Microsoft had ended VB6 official support and continue to support VB6 runtime(32-bit) until 14 Jan 2020. For long lasting VB6 legacy application, is it suitable to make use of Desktop App Converter ? What is Microsoft's plan for long lasting VB6 legacy application?

4 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • [Bug] MapControl PedestrianFeaturesVisible

PedestrianFeaturesVisible can be toggle only if MapStyle is set on "Road".
                            PedestrianFeaturesVisible cannot be disabled if MapStyle is set to "AerialWithRoads" and cannot be enabled if is set to Aerial3DWithRoads.

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              0 comments  ·  Maps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • makeappx failed on Centennial PackageFiles after all Anniversary updates (regression)

showstopper/ regression:

I am on all Anniversary updates (OS, SDK, Centennial 0.1.24) and I tried to insert a PackageDependency element into the AppxManifest.xml, but since the last update I can not succeed to makeappx manually, necessary after the manual changes in the manifest and also after the Assets replacement:

C:\Users\BG\Desktop\Free\out\39928COBATASoftware.COBATAXHTMLConstructor1.0Free\PackageFiles>"\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\x64\makeappx.exe" pack /v /d .\ /p "39928COBATASoftware.COBATAXHTMLConstructor1.0Free.appx"
                              Microsoft (R) MakeAppx Tool
                              Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft. All rights reserved.

Option /v specified, switching to verbose output.
                              Using default hash method: SHA256.
                              The path (/p) parameter is: "39928COBATASoftware.COBATAXHTMLConstructor1.0Free.appx"
                              The content directory (/d) parameter is: ".\"
                              Enumerating files from directory ".\" …

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Allow SSL & HttpClient with a ControlChannelTrigger

Currently when using a ControlChannelTrigger with HttpClient you cannot send a HTTPS request without the application getting terminated by the system. This means we have to transmit data insecurely if we need to use this feature.

I tested using HTTPS and to my surprise it does work with the debugger attached, no exceptions get thrown, so it is implemented. However termination occurs when the application is NOT connected to the debugger.

As this post (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/uwp/networking/network-communications-in-the-background?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396#controlchanneltrigger-with-httpclient) confirms, SSL is not supported when using a ControlChannelTrigger with a HttpClient

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  0 comments  ·  Background Processing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • SD-Card access on WDP

add can access sd-card from WDP :)

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Windows Device Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • [Bug] AudioGraph: DesiredSamplesPerQuantum is ignored

AudioGraph created with custom DesiredSamplesPerQuantum ignores it and uses default 10ms quantum.

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Audio/Graphics/Media playback  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • [Bug] AudioGraph: Gaps and clicks during playback

To reproduce you may start with official AudioCreation sample from https://github.com/Microsoft/Windows-universal-samples/tree/master/Samples/AudioCreation/cs/AudioCreation
                                      Use file playback sample or custom effects sample. Depending on hardware, you may hear gaps right after start or you may need load CPU with some additional work, like scrolling UI or running some work in background threads.
                                      I guess it is result of extremely short quantum size (10ms; even switching between threads could take more time) and too low buffer length (2 quants), but it could be just some synchronization issue.

6 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Audio/Graphics/Media playback  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • .net framework support

There needs to be support for older .net frameworks. I have components that use .net 2.0 and .net 4.0 that are non UI components that were created by other companies. I still need to use those components even if I convert the rest of my app to 4.6

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • [Bug] Slider control with range -100 to 100 renders value zero at 100

For details, please move to this: https://github.com/Microsoft/Windows-universal-samples/issues/432

with attributes:
                                          Maximum="100"
                                          Minimum="-100"
                                          Value="0"

slider renders to extreme right (value 100) instead of zero

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  XAML/Controls APIs (UWP)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 117 118
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base