Expand emulator functionality with camera, email, state saving etc
Expand emulator functionality with:
- Camera shows WebCam if it is present on the PC. (will help a lot for screensahots)
- Let User Add email accounts, facebook account, on the Emulator to test.
- Save & restore Emulator state, to retreive all the settings, installed apps (isolated storage) and media library.
- Add Access to Media Library.
- Show Real screen size (based on DPI if screen is 4.3 to 3.6 inch)
- Throttle emulator to hardware specs of phone CPU + GPU.
- Throttle Network traffic to emulate 3g 4g wifi.
Post comments if you see some more features I'm missing...
The Windows Phone 8.1 emulator adds a number of the suggested items (network conditions, state storage, real screen sizes, etc.), so I’m marking this as completed.
If you want to recreate a suggestion for the ones we didn’t add in 8.1, please create them as separate requests (or appropriately grouped) to help make responding to partial completes easier. :)
Jordan Mills commented
You can save and restore the machine state through the hyper-v manager.
I especially like the idea of throttling network to a 3g or maybe even a unstable edge connection with some data losses, to be able to test the app behavior in case of weak data connections.
Edward Dennekamp commented
Turn Internet on/off
GPS - simulate unable to get position
allow emulation of vibration (think Live message nudging but not as violent.
Just to add one more:
- Add lock screen (to test applications that run under the lock screen)