How can we improve the Windows platform?

Support intercepting incoming calls and message

It would be great if we will get some support for intercepting incoming calls and smss

1,616 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Oualid BOUTEMINEOualid BOUTEMINE shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Eduardo C SoaresEduardo C Soares shared a merged idea: A blacklist app for windows phone 8 will be nice.  ·   · 
    Ahmed DawodAhmed Dawod shared a merged idea: API to intercept incoming calls  ·   · 

Hi, as part of Windows Phone 8.1, it is possible for some apps can register to receive system events, including incoming SMS messages, and then act upon them.

It’s important to note that these APIs and events are intended for use by device manufacturers primarily. In order for the APIs to be used in your Windows Phone Store app, your Windows Phone Store publisher account needs to be provided with permission to use these device capabilities (open up a Dev Center support ticket with your request).

For more information…
    Using SMS events: Check out the Build 2014 session (http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2014/2-518) or MSDN docs on background tasks (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/hh977056.aspx)

51 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Folks, at least we can develop GAMES and other IMPORTANT apps for WP8. Who needs features like RSAP for in-car-use or phonecall-events for feeding business apps. Just code GAMES. For all others, move on to android, there's more care for the 'developer ecosystem'.

Cliff,
        Don't think you can get credit for this one yet, since it isn't available to all developers.

That is not done at all. The API is just for SMS not for incoming calls. I want the phone number of the callee as it is available on Android and iOS. Can that be done with this API?
        I cannot open such a Dev Center support ticket. How can I do that?

• MrCatMrCat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All I want is a simple "SMS recieved" or "SMS unread" flag so my app can sound a custom alarm. This Information this would open up a few more much needed app possibilities. Surely making this available would not create any privacy issues?

• Costin MorariuCostin Morariu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Cliff,

Can you please be a little bit more specific on "open up a Dev Center ticket ...". We are trying for couple of days to get those permissions without success so far.

We opened up an App submission and certification ticket on Certifications policies category. They were not able to help on this and asked to drop an email to Sysdev@Microsoft.com. Seems that they are unsure about how to handle this too.

Best regards,
        Costin @Truecaller

• Jesper BalleJesper Balle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@nami have you created a new suggestion for handling incoming calls?
        I would really like to see apps like Truecaller on Windows Phone

• Ben EdwardsBen Edwards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cliff,

The app I had in mind was for customer billing. "How much time did I talk to a customer"? "How many SMS messages did I have with a particular customer?" "What was said?" I just want readonly access to my phones call history and sms history. I would be happy with just a way to query those guys. It would be nice to do other things as well but couldn't you just start with something simple like that? That doesn't seem like a huge ask that would require a ton of engineering.

Also as an aside "what would iPhone/Android do" should never enter into you guys decisions on whats best for the platform. Just do whats best for your users and developers and the rest will take care of itself. That message just leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Thanks,
        Ben

• Nami ZarringhalamNami Zarringhalam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Cliff, I Think it is really a shame that the model Microsoft has chosen to follow right now limits the developers. The best solution would be one which at least has the same options as the background image - let the user chose one application which has access to the Caller ID or incoming SMS and let the developers work to create the best app for the user... That would be a win - win, don't you agree?
        Also none of the OEMs aside from Nokia that we have spoken to actually know anything about giving access to these features to app developers they want to pre-load. I'm one of the founders of Truecaller app which is why I know this.

• Ian RingroseIan Ringrose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Cliff,

So does that allow an app to display the customer record for the person that is calling my phone? And to keep to displayed while I talk.

• Cliff SimpkinsAdminCliff Simpkins (Sr Product Manager, Windows Developer) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi folks, weighing in on this thread a bit with some color commentary. Engineering has been looking at this for some time, and the API was added for mobile operators and hardware manufacturers for obvious reasons.

And while third party app-directed SMS scenarios are nice to have for obvious reasons, they also bump into a few issues: (a) they can run into customer billing issues for sending SMS silently and (b) obvious potential privacy issues for receiving SMS. And while the capability is available on Android (but I don't believe Android operates under the caveat emptor model), it isn't available on iOS.

Digging into this a bit further, app devs tend to want the capability to receive messages on specific “filters” exclusively (only the app gets the message rather than it being broadcast to every application). However, this type of exclusive delivery would require assignment/gating of “filters” at the OS level that runs into all sorts of problems (who gets to register for a filter first? is registration static or dynamic? how are collisions handled? how are revocations handled? what about non-store or side-loaded apps? etc.).

As a result, the team doesn't have plans to provide this capability at this time to the broad developer ecosystem, but please feel free to chime in with additional thoughts on the topic.

• RichardRichard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Intercepting calls still seems impossible. MSFT: why restricting developers so much?

Please help developers in stead of restricting them. I think Microsoft need good developers for the current lack of apps. Restricting is not a good practive to motivate developers to make great apps.

• invirtuxinvirtux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I watched the video and read the documentation you provided. But I didn't see how to register to intercept incoming calls. Can you be more specific on the link. thanks

• Jakob AndersenJakob Andersen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is still no support for intercepting SMS messages since the "SystemTriggerType.SmsReceived" is not available for 3rd party applications. So no change from wp8.

• PhilLaBarPhilLaBar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Amjad posted this on - January 23, 2013 5:54 am

I want to add an important point here, and I often wonder why MS has ignored this design point.
        Smartphones are becoming everything but a phone. The phone part is still the same, nothing new.
        One of the killer feature will be integrating desktop with my phone. Once in my office, I dont want to pick my phone anymore. I just use my desktop to receive calls, make calls, send/receive sms. I want to dial using my desktop and use PC speakers and mic.

Just this one feature can boost the Windows phone sales many times.

I can't believe he posted that a year ago, and this ability still doesn't exist.
        The ability for a WP8 device to interact with Windows Desktop / Surface / XBoxOne just makes sense. My WP8 may be in my back pack or charging on the kittle counter while I am using my desktop or Xbox. If the phone has an incoming call or text it would be nice to see a message on the desk top with the Caller ID or text data. And as Amjad said even better to respond from those devices.

Here is hoping Threshold pulls it all together.
        Phil

• hanif robbanihanif robbani commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Me and my friend managed to create an SMS Spam detector and filter application in android. Thats proven to be very useful for people around me, to blocks spammy ads, and fraud messages. And its quite accurate. We've been looking for opportunity to implement the same apps for Windows Phone. It has been a year, and still no good news about SDK support for intercepting incoming message. Hope this feature could be available soon.

• sunilsunil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is most desirable feature for app developer. I am looking to develop and app based on this feature, but unfortunately there is no support to get notified for incoming and outgoing messages. this is a show stopper for me.

• Blake DavidsonBlake Davidson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a business need for this. We want to create a whitelist that only allows certain numbers to call or be called.

• Nick RossNick Ross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our company requires this feature. We provide a number of consulting services to our clients, one of these is a phone consulting package. Clients are required to purchase consulting packages in advance. Their calls to us (our incoming calls) are handled by the phone, based on the status of the package purchased by the caller. It's important for us to be able to handle these incoming calls seamlessly.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base