How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

Extend the API to query phone volume and vibration settings, maybe even set them.

Currently, when developing a alarm clock app, there is no way to tell if the user has his phone set to vibrate only, so a soundeffect set by the user is played even if he has set his phone to vibrate. I find this very confusing, even though the builtin alarm clock behaves the same way.
This would also be good to have for games, so when you launch a game in a quiet environment not all heads turn the user's way :)

8,754 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Line40 MobileLine40 Mobile shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    EronEron shared a merged idea: The option to set volume control to each app and each options inside apps.  ·   · 
    Varun AcharVarun Achar shared a merged idea: Separate volume control for media and ringer  ·   · 
    FahriFahri shared a merged idea: independent volume control for button touch sound  ·   · 
    MichelMichel shared a merged idea: Separate audio controls for Alarm,Notification,Media  ·   · 
    corinthiandoomcorinthiandoom shared a merged idea: better sound controls  ·   · 
    iseifiseif shared a merged idea: Force sound-off in Silent/Vibration Modes  ·   · 
    Troy GatesTroy Gates shared a merged idea: Split Volume Control  ·   · 
    boom! it's done.  ·  Clint RutkasAdminClint Rutkas (Admin, Windows Developer) responded  · 

We believe this scenario has been solved this by giving the user more finite control on the ringer and notifications versus media and apps in Windows Phone 8.1. If a user decides to set the volume to a certain level, we should respect that.

If you disagree with this, please provide user/developer scenario and help us drive more into this.

776 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be good if apps could change the sound level if you want this. E.g. turn off sounds triggered by your are in a meeting (Outlook and busy). I sincerely hope this will be included in Win 10.

• AdrianoAdriano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this os seems made by stupid students. Why should an app change volume? Maybe because the buttons doesnt works anymore? Maybe an app can change the volume after 23:00 or if i am at work. You know what utility means, or you are too ignorant to undertstand what user want?

• Giuseppe GGiuseppe G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If a user want to control volume by software, that is what HIS NEED!
        WP will die if you continue on this way!!!
        I will be the first who will switch to Android!
        But what the **** are you doing!?!? I really don't understand!

• saifsaif commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Clearly windows gets back to its rigidity that resulted in its demise from the top position.

Scheduling of volume profile was a very very useful function to us working people so that we can set our phones as a real personal assistant. Go on vibrate between x hours to y hours, maybe offline between z hours to zz hours. Loud between certain hours. It is such a basic functionality that not having it hurts.

It is not a question of respecting users settings. This feature will EXTEND users wishes give him more flexibility.

Hi, I had voted on this issue with additional comments. If these changes in the API are already present in Windows Mobile 10, then I believe that's acceptable to shelve for 8.1.

However, if not, I'd like to provide this simple scenario:

-> Profile Management: App/Built in (Cortana?)
        Simply put, the classic profile structure once available for phones is the base case here. I want to set a simple scheduler for my day. A silent profile either based on time (730AM - 4PM, M-F) or location (Approaching work...). One for normal volume (anytime and anywhere else) and one for Quiet Hours, all based. Quiet hours is a bit extreme for a medium ground. So to do all this, either handle it, or open the API up. Alert the user, just like with location, that they are granting app access to this item.

Scenario: Whatever material you use for the volume control buttons on your phones isn't strong enough to even last a year, so now I can't change the volume my phone outputs audio thus I must use headphones in a quiet room to even hear the slightest thing.
        Fix: Make an app, or an update for apps that are already made for this problem so that I can actually change the volume of my phone.
        Glad my contracts almost up though, switching back to apple soon :|

• Alexander M. BatishchevAlexander M. Batishchev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So wasn't it declined? Why then marked as 'done'?

The scenario is a profile app: change volume and other settings based on a profile - time, location, etc.

There is a scenario: For apps that have situational awareness. E.g. Shut the phone silent while in a meeting and revert back to normal volume when the meeting ends.
        My old Symbian phone was able to do that (with an app called "situations" + many many more possibilities). This was awesome in university, when everybody was fiddeling with their phone before the lessons/lectures started, and I just couldn't be bothered, because the phone knew it had to go silent

• Chris SchallerChris Schaller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to make a sort of scheduling assistant app, not necessarily for meetings, but as a manager I have defined periods of the day for productivity that I do not want my developers phones bugging them or other people in our code house, I want to silence or turn down the volume. I already have a TFS integrated app that tells us what to do and when, it was an obvious feature that was easy to do on other platforms that we cannot do on windows. Fix it because it is a standard API across handsets, let us developers deal with the users when they use our app. If the user didn't want another way to access the volume controls, they wouldn't install our app. So the control really is back with the user.

• David RomeroDavid Romero commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What if the user wants an app to control the volume? Shouldn't we respect that too?
        BTW, why mark it as done when you're obviously rejecting it?

• SimonSimon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Urgent intervention needed to find a solution to the volume issue in WP 8.1

← Previous 1 3 4 5 38 39

Feedback and Knowledge Base