How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

API to Get/Set Volume and vibration settings

Currently, when developing a alarm clock app, there is no way to tell if the user has his phone set to vibrate only, so a soundeffect set by the user is played even if he has set his phone to vibrate. I find this very confusing, even though the builtin alarm clock behaves the same way.
This would also be good to have for games, so when you launch a game in a quiet environment not all heads turn the user's way :)

8,836 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Line40 MobileLine40 Mobile shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Roy VillaRoy Villa shared a merged idea: Allow 3rd party apps to set ringer volume and mute/vibrate settings  ·   · 
    Kingsley BalogunKingsley Balogun shared a merged idea: API to get and set phone settings  ·   · 
    Rain_developerWP8.1Rain_developerWP8.1 shared a merged idea: Provide API for volume up/down, power, search and home button  ·   · 
    Andrew O'NeillAndrew O'Neill shared a merged idea: WP8: Allow setting volume and vibration  ·   · 
    EronEron shared a merged idea: The option to set volume control to each app and each options inside apps.  ·   · 
    Varun AcharVarun Achar shared a merged idea: Separate volume control for media and ringer  ·   · 
    FahriFahri shared a merged idea: independent volume control for button touch sound  ·   · 
    MichelMichel shared a merged idea: Separate audio controls for Alarm,Notification,Media  ·   · 
    corinthiandoomcorinthiandoom shared a merged idea: better sound controls  ·   · 
    iseifiseif shared a merged idea: Force sound-off in Silent/Vibration Modes  ·   · 
    Troy GatesTroy Gates shared a merged idea: Split Volume Control  ·   · 

This already works! If you don’t want your toast notification to break through the vibrate-only settings, you can send your toast using the reminder scenario. You can still do looping audio using the audio element, and setting your audio to loop. Only alarms break through the vibrate setting – not reminders.

Basically…

And in NotificationsExtensions, the Scenario property is on the ToastContent object.

If you would like a generic way to get volume/vibration settings, open a new feedback – this feedback was specifically talking about alarms.

813 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • GregGreg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The point of this request is that we would like to provide the user some control over alarm clock volume. Currently there is either On or Vibrate. That isn't particularly user-friendly.

• Tom AndersonTom Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does Microsoft really misunderstand the dissatisfaction of the community? How many devs have given up the ecosystem because of closed issues like this. Guess MS decided it's not necessary to fix an issue with 8803 votes to fix. Cool! Hope you make a new OS one day that I can be bothered developing for. Until that day, unsubscribing!

• SycSyc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please enable API to modify system setting. Without volume API applications like Llama (on Android) cannot be developed and it is really frustrating to do it manually. It is a must for real "Smartphone".

• MichailMichail commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every day, when i come to work, i need to turn sound off, then turn on when break, then turn it off again and so on. I may forget about it, and one of my colleague forget about it all the time, and its loud ringtone scares everybody around. So i decide to automate this simple scenario and, maybe, help others in this problem. But i cant, because of this restriction.
        I dont understand, is it so crucial for user privacy or money, or health. Why you give developer access to user location, his contacts, personal info and all other personal stuff, but not to volume settings. What is so important in this restriction, that even 5 years of requesting dont change anything.

• John CourtierJohn Courtier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I bought my first window phone (with win 10) 5 days ago and lack of apps that auto-adjust volume brought me to develop one myself. However I find out it is not possible. It is not possible? Wtf?

Dear windows developers and managers. If user must control his volume every day when he come into work and out of the work (because user is in open-space area at work) instead of simple app adjusting this for him/her, you just removed SMART from smartphone. You degraded you mutli-core processor phones to just voice-transmitting and texts sending devices, phones of the 90's.

The fact that issue is "done" after more then 3 year. And by "done", it is stated "won't fix" is ridiculous. I wonder what is more important then making you OS actually usefull?

I'm thinking about going back to android and giving my new phone back, just because of this approach of yours.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 40 41

Feedback and Knowledge Base