How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

Extend the API to query phone volume and vibration settings, maybe even set them.

Currently, when developing a alarm clock app, there is no way to tell if the user has his phone set to vibrate only, so a soundeffect set by the user is played even if he has set his phone to vibrate. I find this very confusing, even though the builtin alarm clock behaves the same way.
This would also be good to have for games, so when you launch a game in a quiet environment not all heads turn the user's way :)

8,751 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Line40 MobileLine40 Mobile shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    EronEron shared a merged idea: The option to set volume control to each app and each options inside apps.  ·   · 
    Varun AcharVarun Achar shared a merged idea: Separate volume control for media and ringer  ·   · 
    FahriFahri shared a merged idea: independent volume control for button touch sound  ·   · 
    MichelMichel shared a merged idea: Separate audio controls for Alarm,Notification,Media  ·   · 
    corinthiandoomcorinthiandoom shared a merged idea: better sound controls  ·   · 
    iseifiseif shared a merged idea: Force sound-off in Silent/Vibration Modes  ·   · 
    Troy GatesTroy Gates shared a merged idea: Split Volume Control  ·   · 
    boom! it's done.  ·  Clint RutkasAdminClint Rutkas (Admin, Windows Developer) responded  · 

We believe this scenario has been solved this by giving the user more finite control on the ringer and notifications versus media and apps in Windows Phone 8.1. If a user decides to set the volume to a certain level, we should respect that.

If you disagree with this, please provide user/developer scenario and help us drive more into this.

796 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John CourtierJohn Courtier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I bought my first window phone (with win 10) 5 days ago and lack of apps that auto-adjust volume brought me to develop one myself. However I find out it is not possible. It is not possible? Wtf?

Dear windows developers and managers. If user must control his volume every day when he come into work and out of the work (because user is in open-space area at work) instead of simple app adjusting this for him/her, you just removed SMART from smartphone. You degraded you mutli-core processor phones to just voice-transmitting and texts sending devices, phones of the 90's.

The fact that issue is "done" after more then 3 year. And by "done", it is stated "won't fix" is ridiculous. I wonder what is more important then making you OS actually usefull?

I'm thinking about going back to android and giving my new phone back, just because of this approach of yours.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let's add one more. It is really depressing to see the number of comments on this very basic and useful feature and yet Microsoft refuses to see the light. I guess they will stay a very, very very distant third.

I find the built in sound settings for notifications alter themselves without any action on my part. Most important for me is to lock the settings I have chosen.

• TonyTony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe this is still not possible. There are so many scenarios where this is necessary. Stating "If a user decides to set the volume to a certain level, we should respect that." is absolutely ridiculous. If a user installs an app that has these features then you are respecting there wishes as the user installed the app and set settings to control the volume based on certain events, like time or Geo fencing or calendar appointments. Oh I don't know, like mute my phone after 8pm or when i get to work and then increase the volume to a certain level when i leave work or set WiFi on when i get home and then disable it when i leave to save battery. How about turn the volume up when my phone pairs to the car and launch a music app and have it automatically play. Claiming there are no scenarios that make this a must have shows how disconnected you are from the needs of your end users and serious tunnel vision.

Lack of access to system level API's may be the final straw to not give the platform another chance. I just got the 950XL and like the platform but need more control of it and will be returning the phone. It's a shame the same issues that existed in WP7 still are here in WP10.

This feature is a must for a phone.I am iPhone and android user. I bought this phone to try windows phone, but if this the case I will go back to iPhone and android. For iPhone there is auto silent you select the period and the time finished it automatically switched to ringer. For android there is mute ringer.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 39 40

Feedback and Knowledge Base