How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

Convert an individual account into a company one

I started as a sole developer, and now there's a group of us, and we are registered as a business with IRS. I would like to be able to convert my individual account in the Marketplace into a company one without losing my publisher name, my brand, my app portfolio and my user base. It is a common scenario in the "real" world, so why should it be impossible in the Marketplace?

133 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Arkady EltermanArkady Elterman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Sebastien MoulinSebastien Moulin shared a merged idea: Convert a Company account to Individual  ·   · 
    Kjetil Kristoffer SolbergKjetil Kristoffer Solberg shared a merged idea: Please make it possible to change windows dev account type  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: It should be possible to upgrade an individual account to a company account.  ·   · 
    JesseJesse shared a merged idea: dev.windowsphone.com accounts should be able to downgrade form Company to Individual. Alternatively, to allow multiple accounts per Live ID  ·   · 
    Windows dev platform teamWindows dev platform team responded  · 

Starting this month apps can be transferred from one account to another. To start the process you need to open a support ticket to start the process. Once you submit the request, you’ll get a checklist (for example you need to finish any pending submissions, export the reports). The acquisitions, reviews history and users are transferred, though the historical revenue is not transferred. The feature is available to every app, except if the app has IAP – support for IAP is being investigated for the future.

So this feature does not convert one account to another type, but allows a developer to create a company account and then transfer apps from an individual account to the new company Dev Center account.

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • dtdt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is currently in Preview.
        When will this feature implemented from "In Preview" to "Implemented" state?
        Also what about the investigation of apps with IAP to transfer to another account?

• GOBI MGOBI M commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it possible to Individual account to company account bcz i wrongly create Individual account, so please inform to change account process

• vfvf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also if you have no IAP you could not transfer your app, because it is still "in preview"

• JoshRosJoshRos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"The feature is available to every app, except if the app has IAP – support for IAP is being investigated for the future."

Why does Microsoft like to do half job every time?
        btw, it is NOT every app. Probably the least and in fact it is probably the wrong type of apps. Apps that have no IAP are typically created by individuals and less likely to need such a feature. They are usually the least important to migrate to a corporate account.

• Sebastien MoulinSebastien Moulin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As I misread and realized to let that I wrongly created a company account instead of a individual account I would like to be possible to change the developer account type that I request. I the mean time I had to create another email dedicated just to that, this is not a solution for me. I still don't understand why it is still not possible since any legal procedure will have to be validated and checked before the account being activated in either case.

• Kjetil Kristoffer SolbergKjetil Kristoffer Solberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I made the mistake of registering a dev account using the type company instead of individual. Now I cannot change it to individual. This is not good enough. I have to be able to change dev account type. Please make this happen as soon as possible.

• GregGreg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we did this move on ios and android and it was very easy. Developers definitly need a way to migrate from an individual account to company account because this is a very usual issue when business is growing. I think both Microsoft and us want the business to grow, right ???

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you start out as an individual developer account and then later incorporate into a company, it should be possible to convert your account and change your publisher name without having to create an entirely different account. The current way you are supposed to do it is to make a new account and transfer the apps however, if you use the Windows Push Notification system then it is not possible to transfer an app at all. This problem does not exist on any of the other mobile platforms. On Android Google Play store you can change your publisher name instantly and for iOS Store you can make the change with only a couple days lag time. And on neither of them does it ruin your push notifications.

• JesseJesse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

dev.windowsphone.com accounts should be able to downgrade form Company to Individual. Alternatively, to allow multiple accounts per Microsoft account.

The downside to the way things are now, is a downgrade to an individual account requires creating an entirely new Microsoft account, unlinked to your previous account (which probably has purchased apps, settings, ancillary account ownership, etc.)

• AndriiAndrii commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can transfer apps by contacting support and you can change name from one account to another.
        However I wonder too why I can't switch country and account type!

• DanielDaniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm having the same problem with my "Windows Phone" version. For my 'iPhone' version, it was a matter of simple call to Apple support and the problem was solved within 2 business days. I don't see why it is not possible with Windows Marketplace.

Feedback and Knowledge Base