How can we improve the Windows platform?

Custom keyboard via code

Allow to developers create a custom keyboard. eg. choose letters and numbers together

4,081 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Oliver Kevin FuhOliver Kevin Fuh shared a merged idea: Soft keyboard API  ·   · 
    MattlekimMattlekim shared a merged idea: keyboard  ·   · 
    meme shared a merged idea: Custom keyboards  ·   · 

43 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John NunnJohn Nunn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my opinion this is the best keyboard for touch. It would ideal if MS incorporated it and its features (i.e. sliding, glossary, macros) into Win10.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FITALY

http://www.fitaly.com/fitaly/fitaly.htm

US Patent # 5487616

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=5487616.PN.&OS=PN/5487616&RS=PN/5487616

• John NunnJohn Nunn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been using Android solely because Android allows the creation of custom keyboards; Android supplies a custom keyboard sample in its SDK. I use the FITALY keyboard in my android phone (Samsung Note 2). I use the FITALY keyboard in my Win8.1 tablet (Dell Venue 8.1 Pro) in desktop and use the tablet in desktop mode mode exclusively since it runs the actual FITALY keyboard .exe that was created for Windows x86 tablets about a decade ago. I used FITALY in Windows Mobille before the OS became obsolete.

• EmmanuelEmmanuel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Try adding a feature just like on iOS for changing characters (i saw that on iOS you can type some verry intersting letters) Good Luck guys! :D

• Øystein LundØystein Lund commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Customization of the keyboard would be nice.
        Or at least add single buttons of predefined functionality:
        - Like "Done","Next" (control - keeping the current keyboard open or shifting to a Number keyboard if the inputscope of the next control is different)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft today released a new app for Android device named ‘Keyboard for Excel’ as part of their Microsoft Garage Project. This app provides a keyboard optimized for numbers. It delivers speed and efficiency to Excel users entering data.

http://microsoft-news.com/keyboard-for-excel-new-microsoft-garage-project-app-for-android-devices/

So, MS realize that a custom keyboard is usefull.
        It's time to allow the same on WP

• MemphisMemphis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As I see in the last Windows 10 presentation, it will be possible to move the keyboard around the screen.
        Let's hope they create some API to allow us change the layout keyboard.
        PS: Joe Belfiore, are you listen ? :-)

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Simple keyboard layout editing would be appreciated. The placement of that backspace right above the enter key is pretty aggravating. I keep sending half finished messages with weird typo's.

• Alex SechroAlex Sechro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Im coming from an android phone where i had always used an array of different keyboards. This needs to happen! please ;)

• Aleksei GuzevAleksei Guzev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The keyboard look, layout, and behaviour could be separated from internal functionality like the Word Flow. This would enable customization of look and feel with little or no loss of functionality.

• Quincy MitchellQuincy Mitchell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please look at how iOS has a OS specific keyboard that's called "Twitter". They have had this keyboard since iOS 5. I'm sure twitter would want something like that for their WP app too.

• Yuriy SamorodovYuriy Samorodov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft is well known for its support to people with disabilities.
        Please consider how much support Microsoft will gain, if they provide API to create custom keyboards!How much more attractive Lumia 1520 would be if it gets, lets say, left-side or right-side mini keyboard!

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One reason I will not switch from Android to WP is that I use SwiftKey (keyboard replacement). I make a lot of spelling errors, but they are corrected automatically by SwiftKey.
        Auto correct of WP is much worse, so will not switch to WP untill SwiftKey is on WP. At this moment it's not possible to replace system keyboard.

• KumaranKumaran commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to close the SIP when the textbox gets the focus. Giving the control to the developers to show/hide the SIP would be really helpful.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base