How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

Custom keyboard via code

Allow to developers create a custom keyboard. eg. choose letters and numbers together

4,755 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Oliver Kevin FuhOliver Kevin Fuh shared a merged idea: Soft keyboard API  ·   · 
    MattlekimMattlekim shared a merged idea: keyboard  ·   · 
    meme shared a merged idea: Custom keyboards  ·   · 

52 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MichaelD!MichaelD! commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow... 4700+ votes, and it's been over a year since the last MSFT response on this... what is the status of this (very popular -- currently rated #2) feature request?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature would be very interesting. It would allow me to create a Hiragana/Katakana keyboard! =)

• Roger SiegenthalerRoger Siegenthaler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great, it would ease the transition for users from iOS/Android significantly if they didn't have to learn how to use a new keyboard. Also the current standard for winphone8.1 is very sub-standard. For me personally the problem is I would like to make smaller keyboards (less height) to show more content as well as have shorter distances between the keys.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has there been any developments on this since it was marked as "ON THE BACKLOG" over a year ago?

• balaji Soundrarajanbalaji Soundrarajan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be an amazing addition to WP. Customized keyboards addressing different phone users(work related, SMS senders, etc)

• Chet MurphyChet Murphy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too need at least one custom keyboard for my app. I can get by during testing but not being able to customize the keyboard will make it more difficult for my customers,

• MickMick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now that android and iOS apps can be easily ported to Windows store, it must be availiable to WP develpers as well

• John NunnJohn Nunn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In my opinion this is the best keyboard for touch. It would ideal if MS incorporated it and its features (i.e. sliding, glossary, macros) into Win10.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FITALY

http://www.fitaly.com/fitaly/fitaly.htm

US Patent # 5487616

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=5487616.PN.&OS=PN/5487616&RS=PN/5487616

• John NunnJohn Nunn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been using Android solely because Android allows the creation of custom keyboards; Android supplies a custom keyboard sample in its SDK. I use the FITALY keyboard in my android phone (Samsung Note 2). I use the FITALY keyboard in my Win8.1 tablet (Dell Venue 8.1 Pro) in desktop and use the tablet in desktop mode mode exclusively since it runs the actual FITALY keyboard .exe that was created for Windows x86 tablets about a decade ago. I used FITALY in Windows Mobille before the OS became obsolete.

• EmmanuelEmmanuel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Try adding a feature just like on iOS for changing characters (i saw that on iOS you can type some verry intersting letters) Good Luck guys! :D

• Øystein LundØystein Lund commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Customization of the keyboard would be nice.
        Or at least add single buttons of predefined functionality:
        - Like "Done","Next" (control - keeping the current keyboard open or shifting to a Number keyboard if the inputscope of the next control is different)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft today released a new app for Android device named ‘Keyboard for Excel’ as part of their Microsoft Garage Project. This app provides a keyboard optimized for numbers. It delivers speed and efficiency to Excel users entering data.

http://microsoft-news.com/keyboard-for-excel-new-microsoft-garage-project-app-for-android-devices/

So, MS realize that a custom keyboard is usefull.
        It's time to allow the same on WP

• MemphisMemphis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As I see in the last Windows 10 presentation, it will be possible to move the keyboard around the screen.
        Let's hope they create some API to allow us change the layout keyboard.
        PS: Joe Belfiore, are you listen ? :-)

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Simple keyboard layout editing would be appreciated. The placement of that backspace right above the enter key is pretty aggravating. I keep sending half finished messages with weird typo's.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base