How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

Access video-music library

Ensure access to video/music as for photos.
We cannot create applications for video editing or video sharing via messages or social networks.

134 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

DomeDome shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    cuneyit arkincuneyit arkin shared a merged idea: Provides launchers to edit Libraries folder for music, videos, pictures...  ·   · 
    Reece CalvertReece Calvert shared a merged idea: Music Accessibility  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Videos in MediaLibrary (read/write access)  ·   · 
    KosiekKosiek shared a merged idea: Provide full [physical] access to Music Library  ·   · 
    Anshul DavdaAnshul Davda shared a merged idea: Video sharing and some camera additions.  ·   · 
    Joe GinleyJoe Ginley shared a merged idea: Video/Audio Access API  ·   · 
    Neha R HNeha R H shared a merged idea: API to write videos to Media Library  ·   · 
    DSK UKDSK UK shared a merged idea: access to music stream  ·   · 

17 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • cuneyit arkincuneyit arkin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We currently have apis to edit the user Libraries (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.storage.storagelibrary.aspx) but it would be great if we could just have a unified UI for all apps. That UI is already there (windows explorer) for classic windows apps. A modern UI would be great. One way to make that available to developper is throught launchers (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/mt210951.aspx)
        example:
        Launcher.LaunchUriAsync(new Uri("ms-libaries:music"));
        Launcher.LaunchUriAsync(new Uri("ms-libaries:videos"));

• JamesJames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not sure where this should go in the categories you gave, but I would like an X-Box Video API to go along with the X-Box Music API already released. Since it's been over 2 years since XBV was released, the interface itself has been incredibly frustrating and unintuitive in comparison to Zune, I would like to build my own video application with access to my own videos I bought with XBV/Zune, and include music again in one app, and sync ability with my phone. I hate having to use multiple apps for media consumption and it seems the only way to get what I want is to build it myself.

• BryonBryon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really? We have to ask for this when iOs and Android have already had this for years? And you wonder why many popular apps on iOs and Android aren't on Windows Phone. The companies run into a simple API limitation like this and give up on developing any more WP8 apps. Come on Microsoft, I'm cheering for you but you are making it difficult for me. Your own decisions of what not to include in the API are what prevent companies from developing Windows Phone apps. We shouldn't have to ask for things like this as it should be common sense to already have incorporated into the API. Please implement this API to third parties and quit shooting yourselves in the foot.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Currently it's not possible for 3rd party applications to access videos stored in the MediaLibrary. This is s serious limitation compared to other mobile platforms. Storing videos to the mediaLibrary should be added as well

• KosiekKosiek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello there,

I actually didn't know where to post it, so I chose to post it where the original access API exists. It's very much about Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Media.MediaLibrary class. And if you'd ask me what I personally think of it, you'd simply have to censor almost everything. The languages of man, dwarves and elves don't have the vulgarism to describe this thing.

BECAUSE IT'S THE MOST ANNOYING THING YOU EVER DID!

It's so pointlessly limited that I, as a developer, can't simply make a good music player app.

1. No access to all ID3/ID3v2/Vorbis/etc tags, so if I wanted to provide lyrics support; read/write commentary, URLs, BPMs and so on, I'd have to choose another platform.
        2. No ability to skip and search the track to any chosen moment.
        3. Very, very limited possibilities of creating custom media libraries, so end user can get enhanced browsing experience. The structure of the MediaLibrary class leaves no good and efficient method to update and read the library, so it doesn't make any sense to do so.

That's the three that hurt me most. There are couple other pains in the... deep place of human's body, but as far as I see, they are least relevant. And these three are very easy to fix. All that it takes is to give us physical IO access to at least read //Music directory (write privilege would be most welcome, but not as useful as the one to read).

And guys, really. Open up the store and search for any good music app. It's a pain to see. Because there is no such good app. And that should be your motivation to do it.

I'm submitting my own in a matter of weeks, but all I can currently do is to make a nice-looking UI, do something about playlists and implement search (not sure if I don't ditch it because it really has humors, probably because of the famous Xna.Framework.Media... again)

Agree. Just like YouTube app, Api to download video, mp3, any media files from SkyDrive

I agree. just like YouTube app API, enable SkyDrive to download video but this time even mp3 or other type media files.

• Brice MartnBrice Martn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In fact, I don't understand the usage of the IsolatedStorage from a enduser perspective, because it seems we are unable to export anything from there but images, so how can get data back to the user himself ? At least on iOS there is an specifics folder where we can put files the user can retrieve from iTunes, and on Android developpers can write on the SDCard. Please bring us quickly some new export/share features here.

• Joe GinleyJoe Ginley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a great app idea going but I am missing one feature, the ability to upload music.

We have the photochoosertask which works great and does the job, but we do not have access to music on the device. The reason I think this should be allowed is because there are many artists who make their own music that are new and put their music on the device. We can allow music that is not copyrighted to be accessible if that is a huge issue. What do you people think, do you hear where I am coming from with this idea?

Thanks

Joe

• Neha R HNeha R H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are limited of saving the Images to the Media Library.
        It will be better if user can add the downloaded Audio , Video can add to the Media Library from the Isolated Storage.

• DSK UKDSK UK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like access to a stream for music played via the media library.

• Bruce YangBruce Yang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This will benefit for applications which create audio, or recording voice, it will be easy and unified way to export audio files instead of create extra server program.

Feedback and Knowledge Base