How can we improve the Windows platform?

Background app execution

If iOS and Android can do it why can't Windows Phone? Like all the Timer apps on Android & iOS, they can update the badge numbers real time giving you a true countdown timer experience. Why cant Windows Phone do this? It should be able to do this! Would battery experience really degrade that much? If so me thinks this is a fundamental flaw in the OS!

181 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    I have manyI have many shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    HDizzleHDizzle shared a merged idea: Background Agents  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Background processes needs to be an option, not just background tasks for realtime apps.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Notification systema and background apps.  ·   · 
    FyterFyter shared a merged idea: Task running in the background, or snap  ·   · 

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MagooChrisMagooChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think you are asking the wrong question here... I can already do 99% of my timer stuff with the TileUpdateManager.AddToSchedule()... What I think you should be asking is to be able to Schedule Badge updates as well as tile updates.

• Diego PierangeliDiego Pierangeli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The CPU limit should be equal to iOS (30 seconds and not 2) and let the user ask the time interval but let the system decide (same in iOS where the interval is not guaranteed)

• Luis SilvaLuis Silva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If it's just to have a stopwatch I don't care about this, it really drains your battery if every app remembers to do something in background! I have already trouble really knowing witch app drains my battery every 30min!
        After all, you can update your stopwatch once the user turns is screen on.

• ManniATManniAT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would open WP for a lot of new kind of applications.
        iOS is also restricted about this - but it offers much more possibilities.
        And I never had battery problems on my iPhones caused by background tasks.

• I have manyI have many commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yea Zapp, backgrounding on WP is really terrible........might fire something in 30 minutes iff you don't have too many tasks.....pfft.......stuff like this just makes WP such a sucky alternative to what's already out there!

• ZappZapp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please. I'm trying to run my stopwatch in the background, but I can't find anything but the silly background agent and scheduledtaskagent stuff. lame.

Feedback and Knowledge Base