How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

API to send SMS (via code without user input)

Me and two friends of mine created an app that won in a Windows Hackathon held by Microsoft Cyprus. We actually won the Hackathon without finishing our app due to limitations of Windows phone API. We need some sort of API to automatically send an SMS. The reason for it to be automatic is because this is for cases when the owner of the phone is unable (asleep or something similar) to do so. If you are concerned about security reasons a good implementation of this API would be to always notify the user that a message from that application has been sent and where it was sent. Also apps like these must be forced to get access from the user on their first run to send SMS on their own. Their are many ways to keep the security under check and still provide this functionality

286 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ioannis DemetriouIoannis Demetriou shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    aloahaaloaha shared a merged idea: Ages ago we developed a very successful Windows Mobile (CE 5 & 6) SMS Application. Due to a lack of APIs we need to port it now to Android  ·   · 
    Franck NGuessanFranck NGuessan shared a merged idea: API for sending SMS to the user's phone via Application  ·   · 
    tulasi ramtulasi ram shared a merged idea: Why can we send SMS directly through Programming  ·   · 
    tulasi ramtulasi ram shared a merged idea: We cont send SMS Without user permission it looks prety hard for developer  ·   · 
    Grygorii ShkliarukGrygorii Shkliaruk shared a merged idea: API for send SMS, Call, MMS, Email, USSD  ·   · 
    Anjani ChandanAnjani Chandan shared a merged idea: send automatic SMS using SmsComposeTask  ·   · 
    VinayVinay shared a merged idea: Provide api to send a sms directly from the application without user action  ·   · 
    AaronAaron shared a merged idea: Allow third party SMS apps ala Android  ·   · 
    DeveloperDeveloper shared a merged idea: Send SMS without user intervention  ·   · 
    Jamie BillinghamJamie Billingham shared a merged idea: Sending & receiving SMSes without user interaction after permission given.  ·   · 
    Lee EnglestoneLee Englestone shared a merged idea: Ability to Send SMS in code without showing SMS Composer screen  ·   · 

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • fafufafu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Did Microsoft has provided the API to send SMS directly? Because in Windows 10 setting and even Windows Phone 8.1 setting I have a page which ask 'manage which have access to SMS' but I still can't find any API to access SMS

• H4xpaceH4xpace commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft really really needs to enable this, and a lot more around SMS and Cellular development. If the actual phone subsystem is going to be crippled then whats the point of even writing code for Windows "Phone" in the first place? Without better system apps all these game developers for Windows are going to be ****** when the whole thing gets shut down because 8 people use it.

• aloahaaloaha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is that the strategy of Microsoft to force developers to Android? It is really a pity.

• Giannis DemetriouGiannis Demetriou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are many ways to tackle security concerns.
        Number 1: User is notified whenever an SMS is sent and which app sent it, and to whom so he knows to uninstall the app if he does not like it
        Number 2: User must give access to the app, whether through the store before installation or on the first run of the app.
        Number 3: Screen apps before publishing them on the store to check what sms will they be sending and to where. If it's for example a future sms app in which the app will send an SMS only to a number the user has defined then allow it

• tulasi ramtulasi ram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

some applications needs to be send SMS on one click (also user want to do like that only) but here it is just composing and navigates to user and user needs again click send button here consuming more time..and there is a chance for user to be modify read only text. and some OS like andriod they are providing api for sending sms with out user interaction. people who loves Microsoft suffering from these kind of problems

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nov. 23 2011? and not at least a answer? Poor.. Its really annoying that simple tasks like receiving or sending sms are not possible for developers.. thats possible in every phone os i know and i would really need this feature...

• Anjani ChandanAnjani Chandan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wanted to implement one app which needs automatic sending of SMS. I read through SMSComposeTask, but it requires user to tap before SMS can be sent. Is there any workaround to do this. I am looking from the perspective that, is it possible that once SMSComposeTask is popped-up, I can click it using some automation code?

• VinayVinay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Provide api to send a sms directly from the application without user action.

• AaronAaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow third party SMS apps ala Android. Apps such as Go SMS and Hand have over 10 million downloads in the Android Market. Please consider extending the public SMS APIs to make 3rd party SMS apps possible. It also unleashes many other possibilities that need not be mentioned. Thank you.

• DeveloperDeveloper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would help devs write apps which could respond on behalf of the user in tricky situations like while driving, in a meeting, etc. Safeguards could be put in place to avoid misuse of this feature.

Feedback and Knowledge Base