How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

Remove silverlight from the WP dev center website

Silverlight doesn't work properly in IE 11, so I cannot upload xap files using IE 11. I have to switch to google Chrome to publish Windows Phone Apps. I get the following message: You don't have a supported version of silverlight installed. To get the latest version....

If I try to update silverlight I recieve the message: The same version is already installed. Silverlight is enabled, etc

7 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Niels shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Niels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Modern App of IE11 not having Silverlight support is another good reason to remove Silverlight. It would improve the Windows 8 modern UI experience, currenlty I simply don't use the IE11 app because I don't like to keep switching browsers (silverlight is in pubcenter as well).

But I can't get it to work in the desktop version either (Windows 8.1 64 bit), although it should be supported.

• Simon Plex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you are using the Modern App of IE11, there is no Silverlight support. Use the Desktop version of IE11 instead.

• James Billingham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The developer portal is for developers. There is no point in trying to fancy it up for us. We want a clean and simple interface which WORKS.

I have been trying to encourage many of my friends to try making applications. They are fine with the SDK and practically making the application. That's easy. The issue they (and even I) have is trying to put it on the marketplace. The process (particularly for someone under the age of 18) of getting a Dreamspark account (particularly now that you've messed up that website) and an App Hub account is absolutely awful. You're alienating your developers with this stuff and to be honest, it's just unacceptable. You shouldn't be charging $99 for service like this.

I, for example, wrote four applications in about two days. Getting them all published took me over three months. It's just not right.

Feedback and Knowledge Base