How can we improve the Windows platform?

Cortana API

It will be great to provide an API allowing developers to interact with Cortana following this workflow:
1- Get command from Cortana.
2- Do some processes.
3- Get back to Cortana with response data (do not exit from Cortana UI).
4- Cortana responds the user.
Please vote if you're interested by this feature request.

195 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mohamed OuederniMohamed Ouederni shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • LPGLPG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This! Give devs access to Cortana Knowledge Database. As an example, MS decides that Cortana will know how to respond to a question about bus schedule in specific direction. As it is now, MS needs to feed Cortana with bus schedules for every city in the world - this is just not possible. So make API that will allow devs to feed Cortana with knowledge about bus schedules and let me choose witch service provider (read application from AppStore) I want to use. So there will be officaly provided applications from city governments or maybe a community provided applications in less popular locations.

• Peter WonePeter Wone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is what I want, too. What currently exists is essentially sophisticated recognition and parsing followed by pass-through. It's one way. It's a very good start, but it treats Cortana as little more than a thin veneer over a normal app. If Microsoft wants this to be a category killer, this is my advice: treat Cortana as an AI framework. Apps should be able to function as domain knowledge providers. They may also have conventional UI; this is a separate matter. Use a VCD style file to specify weighted keywords to help Cortana assess service provider relevance. The "VCD" file should also specify a state machine definition for scripting conversations. There should also be a way to return an explicit spoken response. Implicit in the above is a need for developer tooling for preparing the state machine and the associated voice files.

• VCVC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add the German language to be faster than in a year . For this to feed into the development of new applications .

• Mohamed OuederniMohamed Ouederni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its about empowering Cortana with knowledge from apps without the need to say "Cortana, open app X do Y".
        But by saying "Cortana do Y" directly.

Feedback and Knowledge Base