How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

Detect VPN status

When a VPN is configured on a Windows Phone 8.1 device, non obvious badness will occur.

Even if it is not currently active it will intercept local network traffic and prevent some apps which are supposed to operate against a home network from working (UPnP, network shares, home media sharing, etc).

There is no way with the current SDK for a developer to detect this.

This leaves developers with only unappealing options:

1. Suffer with negative ratings because of broken functionality with apps that worked under 8.0 or without a VPN.
2. Prompt all users with a warning that they should make sure that the VPN is disabled before proceeding... including most users who have not enabled a VPN in the first place... and popping such a message almost every time the app is launched.
3. Re-write large portions of code as native code and use the Winsock APIs instead of the WinRT.

The correct answer, is Microsoft to provide a supported mechanism so that a developer can detect if a VPN is enabled, and only then pop a message asking that it be turned off.

118 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Brendan GrantBrendan Grant shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

67 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JC YangJC Yang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

per the 3rd solution Brendan Grant made, if VPN is on, no matter which API set you're using, traffic will be filtered. And Windows 10 has provided a high fidelity VPN API to properly handle local traffics.
        And, again, VPN users most know what they're doing.
        So I suggest Microsoft should never consider this idea a good one to improve user experience, IT WON'T, in contrast, it will probably introduce something to spoil the VPN users' experience badly.

• JC YangJC Yang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I personally vote strongly against this idea. Those users who will/did configure VPN in their devices mostly know what VPN is for. And give the app ability to know whether VPN is on is really a bad idea in terms of app isolation. How about an app behave differently if he know whether VPN is on and off? This would, in many scenario, indeed spoil the VPN users' experience.
        I agree that some kind of prompts are enough to remind the user what action they should take to properly use your app.

• maurimauri commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

refering to the below comment man said he is under everyday harassment or as my dad say DDOS HE BOUGHT THIS PHONE FOR ME BUT HAS HAD IT FOR TWO DAYS he has been dealing with same everyday issues it has made him smarter in field if not anything else my vpn says off but is sayin on he says its a classic sign of a compromised host also says whatever n all devices we own are virtualized n he work around clock byself studying and trying to stop this he has wealth of evedience digital and in data for. including entire printout of a WIndows 7 registry highly compromised even hard drives he reachin the end n say he exposing all he know STOP DOIN THIS TO PEOPLE

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base