How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

Background Location Tracking in Windows Phone 8.1

Windows Phone 8 apps could run in the background. This feature is not available for Silverlight 8.1 apps. MSDN: "If you need this feature, you should continue to use a Windows Phone 8 app".
What about all the existing sport tracking apps? How can this apps can be upgraded to WP 8.1? Or is there any workaround to track location in background in WP8.1 (Silverlight/WinRT)?

267 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

toLLtoLL shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • CominComin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

J'ai la version WP 8.1 et je n'ai pas de problèmes avec l'enregistrement de parcours , fonctionne très bien. Je suis désolé pour ceux qui ne peuvent pas l'utiliser ,J 'appuie votre requête , Bonne chance !

• Morten NielsenMorten Nielsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows 10 UWP apps supports this with WinRT/appx apps.

Supposedly it is supported in SL8.1, but you need to get an exception from Microsoft prior to submitting.

• ShamSham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still not resolved a year later? I'm converting an Android enterprise app to Windows Phone 8.1 but discovering the Windows sdk still has some pretty big holes. I'll have to leave out many of my useful features, this is very poor SDK indeed.

• Anthony DunkAnthony Dunk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm still getting the following error on submission of my WP 8.1 app, so after months of fruitless waiting for Microsoft to fix the issue, I'm now forced to revert to WP 8.0 so that I can continue to update my app with user requests...

3203: Windows Phone 8.1 apps can’t have background tasks for location tracking. Remove them and then try submitting again.

• WimWim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Come on windows.. This is a big hiccup. Make that this is going to work.
        And also make that EQ settings will work with a bluetooth device

Seems to be no change... I just tried re-submitting my updated app for WP 8.1 a couple of days ago and it was still rejected with the same message about background tracking not being allowed.

• Marco FrissenMarco Frissen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the current status? My 640xl is running 8.1 GDR2 and I wonder if MS has changed their rules for the newer builds? There's really no use in having any navigation without background mode, apart from car navi where you have it on (and don't use BTLE devices) most of the time anyway, but other practical use cases like running or cycling need background tracking with BTLE recording as well.

• Brian DickeyBrian Dickey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can you have a navigation app without constant tracking? Not to mention the extra battery that is used because you have to keep the screen active. Not much of a navigation aid if you battery dies after a couple of hours in the middle of no where.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As someone else mentioned below I have also have an 8.1 app using background location tracking just fine after deploying to the device from Visual Studio. It's only at the point of uploading it to the store that it is rejected on the grounds that 8.1 apps are not allowed to have a background location tracking capability in the manifest. I wonder what the reason behind this?

I'm beginning to wonder what it will take to get this fixed... Does anyone at Microsoft even care ?

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really holding back innovation on the Windows Phone platform for location tracking apps.
        There are many features of Windows Phone 8.1, such as Bluetooth 4 smart devices support, that location tracking apps cannot make use of because of this limitation. That means all the latest fitness\health\sport related Bluetooth devices cannot be integrated with and this makes Windows Phone much less attractive to it's competitors. The real world use of these devices means the apps HAVE to run in the background.

Please change the app submission rules to allow this. The apps run fine on WP 8.1 with background tracking enabled, you just can't submit them!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't believe this! I have spent lots of time moving my app from 8.0 to 8.1. Everything works fine when I deploy and run it on my phone. No warnings about bg locations at all, and it works fine...
        However, when I submit to the store I get this 3203 error "Background location not supported".
        Why are you moving backwards?

I had planned to upgrade my hiking app, HandyGPS, from Windows Phone 8.0 to 8.1 so that I could take advantage of the new support for writing files to the user's SD card - as this is an often requested feature for my app. With 8.0 I was limited to uploading files to OneDrive. However, imagine my frustration after I spent a day getting it all working nicely on Windows Phone 8.1 and submitted it the store only to be told that background location tracking is not allowed in 8.1 ! This is an essential feature of my app since tracklogs can only be recorded reliably and the odometer updated correctly if this option is enabled. Therefore I cannot release an 8.1 version of my app and I'm stuck in limbo unable to improve my app to meet user requests.

If there is any justification for removing this feature in 8.1 please tell me, otherwise please, please change the app store submission rule to allow it. This is honestly very frustrating behavior from Microsoft. I would have expected that being mobile platform number 3 (after Android and iOS) you guys would be trying to improve your product, not limit it in unnecessary ways like this which frustrate users and drive them to other platforms. I just don't understand why you would do this!

• kruchkruch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wonder what was the motivation for omitting background location support in 8.1, it is beyond my understanding. Many GPS apps are stuck with 8.0 and old APIs (no DirectX, no Windows.Storage etc).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, I am developing a tracking app on android, I was about to write the same app in Windows phone but it seems I can't do it on WP 8.1!

That's very disappointing, please provide background tasks APIs again in next SDK update.

• ZMZM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Microsoft [Windows Phone], what are you doing? Since allmost one year you are pushing our patience to the limits! Are you intending us to change of OS? Everytime you 'update' something, we, users, latter dyscover that otherthings are missing or mal-functioning!... What's appening with you, guys? Not enough cafeine, or not enough brains? Come on! Give us a break!
        Please, don't change our 'love' for WP in real contempt.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base