Need (improved) Alarm & Reminder APIs in WP8.1 RunTime for creating Universal apps
There's currently no way to create a universal app that has alarm/reminder functionality because these APIs are not included in the new WP RunTime.
Also, the existing Alarm & Reminder APIs for WP8 are very limited. When they eventually get added into the new RunTime, can you guys please consider the following possible improvements?
1. Able to select a song from Music Library as the alarm/reminder tone.
2. Allow custom snooze time.
3. Vibrate only support.
4. Allow customizing the Alarm/Reminder popup.
I raised a request on the uservoice site over a year and a half ago, it's got 15k user votes but was rejected recently, because the admin thought it's a dev question (Well, there are a thousand users complaining about these missing features)...
Please, I love WP and I'd love to continue on improving my app, but with all these roadblocks I simply can't do much about it.
First, Alarm and Reminder classes are not even included in the Windows Phone RunTime.
So, please, include them in the next sdk.
Second, those two classes are very very limited. There's no way to change the snooze duration, no way to use music from Music Library for the tones and you cannot customize the 'dismiss' popup window too.
I raised a request on the uservoice site over a year and a half ago, it's got 15k user votes but was rejected recently, because the admin thought it's a dev question (Well, there are 1000 USERS complaining about these missing features)...
And there's worse... In Windows Phone 8.1, if you enable an alarm in any third party alarm app, you can't use Cortana to set up an alarm anymore...
Please, I love WP and I'd love to continue on improving my app, but with all these I simply can't do much about it.
Provide either of the following:
1) An API to retrieve a URI for a song in the user's music library to pass to an Alarm or Reminder as a custom tone.
2) A token property on the Alarm/Reminder classes similar to pictures where an app can receive a token identifier for a song in the music library through the XNA API and use that to set a custom tone.
In Microsoft.Phone.Scheduler.Alarm Class,sound property can acess "content " file ,why can not acess isolatedStorage wave file?please open api.
This topic contains a few things, we feel there are ways to do this now (listed below) and work arounds. If there are targeted APIs you are looking for, please create a single UV item for each one as this allows us to close items out.
What has been done:
1. There is now a way to create an alarm/reminder in universal windows apps;
2. The alarm/reminder supports custom snooze time (you can choose to let system handle snooze, or wake up your background task to do it manually);
3. The alarm/reminder supports vibrate only (just like toast) that can be overwritten by user to turn off vibration;
4. The alarm/reminder supports a good level of customizability (custom optional inline image, custom additional actions, etc)
There are several blog post that describes above capabilities with more details:
What we know that’s missing and hope to support in the near future:
1. Native platform support in alarm/reminder to automatically handle time conversion when time-zone changes;
a. Workaround – this can be done by the app manually by using the TimeZoneChange system trigger;
2. Native platform support in alarm/reminder for recurrence events;
a. Workaround – this can currently only be done by the app manually periodically waking up and reschedule a bunch of alarms/reminders ahead of time;
3. Native platform support to select a song from Music library as ring tone for alarm/reminder;
a. Workaround – this can be done by reading and copying files from your music library, and then use the saved/modified version of the file in your app package or app data as the ring tone (toast notification supports custom sound by pointing to files in appx or appdata in the xml payload);
@Raymond, super happy you like the feature but this is for APIs. For consumer issues like this, pleas file bugs like that in the Windows Feedback app.
Raymond L. commented
Thank you for adding this feature in Windows 10 beta, but sadly the alarm app sometimes plays all of the alarm sounds at the same time (it's like listening to 20 "alarm 1's" all starting 1/10 of a second apart from each other) and it is a very abrupt way to wake up. I understand this is still a beta build of windows 10 mobile and I love all the other features so far, but other than the occasional crash and the alarm glitch windows 10 mobile seems to be working GREAT :D (Lumia 640) Thanks for adding the ability to play music for the alarm.
alexis dueñas commented
@Mohammed: Workaround – this can be done by reading and copying files from your music library, and then use the saved/modified version of the file in your app package or app data as the ring tone (toast notification supports custom sound by pointing to files in appx or appdata in the xml payload);
It's a great deal. But I want to load my own personal alarm sound.
Escolher minhas próprias músicas