Universal Windows Platform

Welcome to the Windows Platform Developer (WPDev) Feedback site. This feedback forum provides the WPDev community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center Store (developer portal, back-end services, reporting/analytics and process)
  • Windows Stores (Windows and Windows Phone)

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team, providing feedback to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the development platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

If you’re new to this whole UserVoice thing, we’d like to note two important things about this site: (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and does not represent an actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request.

How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow alarms to break through Quiet Hours

Hello.
    My alarm app which uses alarm-scenario toasts cannot break through Quiet Hours.

I received plenty, I mean really plenty feedback from users desperately wanting alarms to break through Quiet Hours.

4,489 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

We just enabled this in the next Insider fast-ring flight of the Creators Update, build 14971! All third-party alarm apps (toasts using scenario=“alarm”) will break through quiet hours now, just like the first-party alarm app!

Thank you everyone for letting us know that this feature was important to you!

• Enable Hyper-V on all version of Windows

For developing and testing virtualized apps with the latest features we need Hyper-V but it isn't available on all versions, so our best option is install Linux.

Similar issue: https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-universal-windows-platform/suggestions/7761381-allow-to-develop-and-test-windows-phone-apps-on-al

37 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Dev Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add Iran to Devs Account Registration

Please , Add Iran to your supported countries list in Developer Account Registration.
        We'll develop great apps for Windows Store.

969 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

255 comments  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • allow mobile broadband handling

Hello Dev Team!

If it possible please allow/make mobileBroadband management in Radio class. (from foreground and background).
          Wifi and bluetooth work well but the mobileBroadband is in "This value is defined for future use, and is not currently available." state currently.

Thank you

40 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Communication APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Donationware ability for Windows Store

It's a lot easier to build a following when it's free. Keeping this in mind, was thinking of making some of my products donationware. Would it be feasible to somehow make this type of offering as part of the store?

The ability for an end user to donate allows me to make the app free. Donations should be supported

Any feedback is appreciated, Thanks, John.

27 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • provide quiet hours API

Dear Dev Team!

Please provide an API for quiet hours in Windows 10 (mobile) where developers can set the quiet hours parameters from foreground and background.

Thank you

26 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Missing APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • [BUG] CurrentCulture should reflect the regional format defined by the user

Before UWP, CurrentCulture reflected the Regional Settings format and CurrentUICulture reflected the Display Language. That behavior is good but has changed in UWP (both now reflect the same thing: Display Language), making it unecessarely hard for developers to correctly respect the user's preference when displaying dates and numbers.

This behavior should be fixed or a new property should be made available in the SDK to enable us to get the user defined settings for regional format. We shouln't have to relly on workaround like this one: https://www.pedrolamas.com/2015/11/02/cultureinfo-changes-in-uwp/

36 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Failing to start isolated environment

[msft]
                  Right now creating an isolated environment fails for some installers. if you see “E_STARTING_ISOLATED_ENV_FAILED” or “800705B4”, chances are it is this. If you feel it isn’t, please create a new issue.

-----

I was able to run the converter on build 14316 and 14352. However, on build 14383, I got this error.

Running Installer in Isolated Environment

[2016-07-11T20:14:52] No installer valid exit codes specified. Using defaults: 0
                  [2016-07-11T20:14:52] Replace any occurence of <log_folder> in -InstallerArguments with C:\shared\logs
                  [2016-07-11T20:14:52] Creating Isolated Environment
                  [2016-07-11T20:14:54] Starting the Isolated Environment
                  [2016-07-11T20:16:55] An error occurred running your installer in isolation
                  [2016-07-11T20:16:55] Invoke-IsolatedInstall : error…

38 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Allow subpixel font smoothing (DirectWrite) in UWP apps

Currently UWP have less readable grayscale font smoothing. It makes UWP apps look worse than desktop apps on standard DPI screens. Allowing subpixel font rendering would make them look on par with desktop apps.

36 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • set/force geofence system to use location determination without gps

When you set a geofence it is using gps, cellular, wifi an so on to determine the location of the device which is working good.
                      But the gps as we know use significaly more battery than other ways and sometimes it would'n be neccessary to use gps (cellular position would be enough) for example if your geofence is not a critical stuff or the user choose better battery consumption.(not using gps) instead of higher accuracy (using gps).

Please add this function if it possible.

Thanks

20 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Replace Xamarin.Forms Xaml syntax with latest UWP Xaml

Now that Microsoft has bought Xamarin, integrated it in Visual Studio and made it free, it would be awesome to replace Xamarin.Forms Xaml syntax with current UWP so that Devs can benefit from all the new rich features such as RelativePanel, x:Bind, Adaptive Triggers, Live Visual Tree etc and also no learning curve for Xamarin.Forms-specific naming conventions (e.g StackLayout instead of StackPanel)

187 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  XAML/Controls APIs (UWP)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is great feedback. We are excited about the Xamarin acquisition and the .NET ecosystem around cross-platform apps. We are currently looking at this and similar feedback on how we can improve the experience of working with both Xamarin.Forms and UWP implementations of XAML.

• Alarm volume settings

Hello,
                          it would be great if user and dev could modify alarm volume. I know you have tweaked alarm volume in Insider builds, but you simply cannot cover all user need if you don't provide them the slider. Many users still complains about given volume, even fade in doesn't save the situation.

The best it would be if also dev could set volume granularly on each Toast notification. User might want lower volume for morning alarms and louder volume for alarm used during busy day.

That would make all the users happy :)

Thanks!

9 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add Overlay UI like Android

The new Notification access is awesome but is it possible to add Overlay UI and " Services " ( you will find it under accessibility settings in Android) to RS2. It will make UWP more powerful like win32 and also let dev make some powerful and useful apps like " Universal Copy " and 'Native Clipboard" . I am adding some screenshots too. You can install those Android apps yourself. Screenshot_2016-06-12-11-02-35.png http://i.imgur.com/bpHQXue.png
                            Screenshot_2016-06-12-11-02-14.png http://i.imgur.com/mJBcme2.png
                            Screenshot_2016-06-12-11-01-36.png http://i.imgur.com/dTfqzrO.png
                            Screenshot_2016-06-12-10-59-52.png http://i.imgur.com/SEmJSNe.png
                            Screenshot_2016-06-11-22-22-47.png http://i.imgur.com/WzD5NUW.png
                            Screenshot_2016-06-11-22-22-41.png http://i.imgur.com/oin3msr.png
                            Screenshot_2016-06-11-22-22-21.png http://i.imgur.com/YCyUP59.png
                            Screenshot_2016-06-11-22-22-14.png http://i.imgur.com/77WIVRf.png
                            Screenshot_2016-06-11-22-21-26.png http://i.imgur.com/vV9Ct3N.png
                            I really want the Universal Apps to grow more powerful. I hope…

76 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • ProcessLauncher for Desktop apps

IoT introduced the Windows.System.ProcessLauncher for starting arbitrary programs (like Process.Start in .NET). Add this for Side-loaded or enterprise distributed apps on Desktop devices

19 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Hide support email address on Windows Store's App webpage

There has been a huge spike in spammers scraping the Windows Store website for apps' support email.

The automated script leaves a 5 star review and asks that you do the same for their app. Here is an example:

Hello Lancelot Software,

What if we will exchange apps reviews? I recenlty rated your app https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/hacked/9nblggh6850j with 5 stars and caption and text 'Great Tool' / 'I will admit that installing this app was an ordeal. I want to thank Lancelot for taking the time to communicate quickly with me. I like the ease of the app and recommend this…

21 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Windows Application Driver support for UWP applications on emulators and physical devices

Windows Application Driver support for UWP applications on emulators and physical devices to allow testing UWP applications across diffrent platforms.

18 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI Testing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Shell Context Menus.

Please add Shell Context Menus API for UWP apps.
                                    We need way to integration with Windows Explorer context menu.

37 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Missing APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Possibility to delete an app completely from Dashboard

Please add the possibility to delete an app completely from your Dashboard on Dev Center.
                                      Right now it's only possible to hide an submitted app from store. It's so sad that developers have to stay with all of their apps which are completely useless and already hided from store for a long time.

282 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

49 comments  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Audio aggregation and routing

Provide option to combine multiple audio devices/interfaces into a separate device (aggregate device). Routing of input/output from one audio device to another.

Also a supplementary feature would be to provide user selectable option to assign an audio device to an application (can be overridden by application if it select a particular audio device)

15 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Audio/Graphics/Media playback  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • WinAppDriver - Create Screenshot Logs using UITestActionLog.html

I would like to be able to have screenshots for each and every action for a WinAppDriver like I had with CodedUI via UITestActionLog.html see https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj159363.aspx for what I am looking for.

9 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI Testing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 109 110
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base