Universal Windows Platform

Welcome to the Universal Windows Platform Developer Feedback site. This site provides the Windows developer community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center (dashboard, reporting/analytics, submission process, etc.)
  • Microsoft Store

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

• Windows consumer suggestions: Use the Windows Feedback Hub app built directly into Windows 10
  • Documentation on docs.microsoft.com: Sign in at the bottom of the page to give documentation feedback via Github
  • Visual Studio / .NET: Use the Visual Studio UserVoice site

If you’re new to UserVoice, two things to keep in mind are (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and not the actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request (or if too many different ideas are included in one suggestion).

How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow localhost loopback capability in UWP apps deployed to the Microsoft Store

UWP apps currently are not able to access localhost on the same machine that the app is running on. This docs page describes the limitation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/debug-test-perf/deploying-and-debugging-uwp-apps#debugging-options

When debugging, Visual Studio is capable of adding an exemption for the UWP app, but obviously, this exemption does not apply once the app has been published to the store.

Please add a new capability to UWP apps that allows for them to access localhost.

52 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Network APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Virtualized RichEditBox

Currently the RichEditBox (or even the RichEditBlock, or even the TextBlock) are not virtualized. As a result with a moderate amount of runs in the box it becomes almost unusable slow near 4000-5000 lines.

The request is, create a virtualized RichEditBox that is capable of handling large files.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  XAML/Controls/Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow API AppointmentCalendar.SaveAppointmentAsync to create appointments in an Offce 365 calendar

Currently AppointmentCalendar.SaveAppointmentAsync works correctly with Exchange calendar and Google calendar (and maybe others calendar providers) but does not work with Office 365 calendar as stated in thread https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/710e8168-1cc3-4ee9-bf22-45179b0767b1/uwp-app-is-not-able-to-create-appointments-in-an-office-365-calendar?forum=wpdevelop.

Allow API AppointmentCalendar.SaveAppointmentAsync to create appointment in an Offce 365 calendar, and more, allow all API of AppointmentCalendar to work correctly with an Office 635 calendar.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow C# style boolean conversion with x:Bind

With x:Bind we can invert a boolean property with a ValueConverter like this:

Visibility="{x:Bind IsLoading,Converter="{StaticResource BooleanInverseConverter}"

But wouldn't it be much cleaner for that widely used boolean case to write just this:

Visibility="{x:Bind !IsLoading}"

To generated the code should be possible, and also to check in that generation whether IsLoading is a boolean or not. Even without checking, it won't compile if IsLoading wouldn't be a boolean, which is fine.

Thanks,
    Thomas

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  XAML/Controls/Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Improve the XAML UI render performance

The UI render performace is not good, despite of you follow the XAML optimization guides there is scenarios where you have to render a big visual tree, for example more than 8000 items, and in this cases the UI freezes when is loading the visual tree. The UI freezing is the major issue I see in UWP and seems to not be improving, and I'm working with this platform from the first day.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  XAML/Controls/Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Focus Assist API

The Focus Assist settings for Off/Priority Only/Alarms Only should be allowed to be queried and updated so that productivity apps can take advantage of the DND mode for cross-device focus sessions.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Show ToolTip for the disabled control in UWP

I want to show the tooltip for the disabled control in UWP.

In winform, there's a ToolTipService.SetShowOnDisabled(https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.windows.controls.tooltipservice.setshowondisabled?view=netframework-4.7.2) method for me to achieve it, but in UWP, I have not found the similar method.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Missing APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Support of SQL Server Express LocalDB

It would be nice if UWP would support LocalDb as an alternative to SqlLite. The last has many restrictions and lack of features e.g. "Change Tracking".

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Structured Data  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add an API to retrieve all files from a folder that matches the speed of Win32 call

With UWP, getting the file count for 8k files using CreateFileQueryWithOptions or GetFilesAsync on a SSD will take 9 seconds.
    With WPF, getting the same file count using dirInfo.GetFiles will take 10 milliseconds.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  File IO / Data Store APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow audio from background task without requiring foreground activation

I would like to have the ability to play audio from background task without requiring the app to be in foreground first.

Both android and iOS have this feature. This is a road block for alarm clock apps that require custom audio uploaded by the user to be played.

Details here.

https://github.com/Microsoft/Windows-universal-samples/issues/1067

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Audio/Graphics/Media playback  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Very poor performance of IStorageQueryResultBase.ContentsChanged

I am trying to watch a large number of folders for changes using IStorageQueryResultBase.ContentsChanged. However, this is basically impossible due to performance issues. First of all, there is no option to make this fire only on 'rename' events (file creation, deletion or renaming), which is what I want, and it seems to fire multiple times even when there are no changes - for example opening a file open dialog from my app can cause it to fire. Also, it seems to watch for deep changes even though my query is shallow.

Now onto the main issue. Removing this handler seems…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  File IO / Data Store APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. AutoSuggestBox should have SelectAll() method like TextBox

In UWP, TextBox has a method called SelectAll() that selects all the text in the Text property of the TextBox control. AutoSuggestBox should have the a method that performs the same action.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  XAML/Controls/Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Support .Net Standard 2.0 File IO APIs in UWP

Currently it is not possible for us to use third party libraries that use .Net Standard 2.0 File APIs in UWP apps. It would make sense to all access to these APIs when using broadFileSystem Access permission.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  File IO / Data Store APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Expose UEFI's GetNextVariableName to the userspace

Windows API provides the SetFirmwareEnvironmentVariable and GetFirmwareEnvironmentVariable families of functions, that effectively allow setting and getting the UEFI variables.
    However it';'s not enough to work with the UEFI variables, because you also need a way to enumerate them.

UEFI spec has GetNextVariableName function that lets one do that that, but Windows does not expose it right now.

I'd like to have access to that functionality of the UEFI.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Missing APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Enable the Windows 10 Hyper-V Default Switch to work with Cisco AnyConnect

The following Hyper-V networking Configuration breaks DNS name resolution on the Virtual Machine:
    1. Connecting the host to a non-corporate (remote) WiFi network.
    2. Connecting to the corporate network via Cisco AnyConnect on the host.
    3. Start a VM and connect it to the Default Switch (NAT)

When a VM is connected to the default switch and the host is connected to the corporate network via Cisco AnyConnect, the VM looses the ability to resolve DNS addresses. The VM is able to ping both public addresses and corporate addresses; however, it is unable to resolve names on either the public…

239 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re investigating how to best handle VPN and add more configuration around VPN.

Please:
    1) Upvote if this is important to you. That helps us prioritize.
    2) Let us know which VPN technology you’re using/care most about.
    3) Explain what behavior you’d like to see.

16. No user-consent prompt on first run of broadFileSystemAccess-capable UWP app

When running an app which requires broadFileSystemAccess capabilities, no user-consent prompt appears on the first use. Instead, the app crashes with a System.UnauthorizedAccessException. Going into Settings to enable this privacy permission prevents the crash, and the app works normally. However, there is no prompt to enable this permission as described in the docs.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are working on it. We are working on updating docs and adding in the prompt like other restricted items.

A code pattern like this should be a way to catch this scenario.
    {
    StorageFolder folder = await StorageFolder.GetFolderFromPathAsync(@"C:\Foo");
    }
    catch(Exception)
    {
    // prompt user for what action they should do then launch below
    // suggestion could be a message prompt
    await Launcher.LaunchUriAsync(new Uri(“ms-settings:appsfeatures-app”));
    }

17. Allow context menu verbs with file explorer integration without setting the app as default for the file type

I want to add a context menue for *.jpg files to my app without setting the app as default app for *.jpg files.

For example, my app wants to add the context menue "resize images" for jpg files. But I don't want to set it as default app for jpgs, as the app isn't capable for viewing images.

See also: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50664134/how-integrate-uwp-app-into-context-menu-of-windows-explorer-for-jpg
    Related /similar uservoice
    https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-universal-windows-platform/suggestions/17592220-allow-context-menu-verbs-with-file-explorer-integr
    https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-universal-windows-platform/suggestions/18935833-fix-uap3-verb-multiselectmodel-player

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  App Extensions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. webhook or Teams notification for Windows Store App publishing

It would be great to be able to notify our internal team when an app has been published to the store via Teams. For now, I was able to work around this by setting up a connector in Flow between my email and Teams, but really this should be coming directly from the Developer Center as part of the app submission configuration.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. [UWP] Layout cycle bug in slider

I just came across the following situation which caused a layout cycle error. Basically a Grid with columns Auto, *, Auto and a slider in the middle column. Dragging the slider thumb from side to side caused the layout cycle error. Setting a fixed width for the slider solved the problem. I'm using a UHD display with 150% scaling. The slider value ranged from 0 to 1 in 0.01 steps. It only occurred for one of several sliders like this that I had.

I previously posted a similar bug involving the scroll viewer, which was apparently fixed (I haven't tested…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. AppBarButton with MenuFlyout Flyout is broken in the 1809 update

I am targeting Windows 10 version 1809 and that is also my OS version. If I have an AppBarButton inside a CommandBar and set the Flyout of the AppBarButton to a MenuFlyout then it doesn't work properly - the MenuFlyout opens Ok, but it doesn't block the background and it's impossible to close it without clicking a MenuItem in the MenuFlyout (even clicking on the AppBarButton to try and close it doesn't work). This used to work fine before version 1809. Perhaps something got broken when the new CommandBarFlyout that's been added in 1809 was introduced.

A workaround is to…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 126 127
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base