Universal Windows Platform

Welcome to the Universal Windows Platform Developer Feedback site. This site provides the Windows developer community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center (dashboard, reporting/analytics, submission process, etc.)
  • Microsoft Store

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

• Windows consumer suggestions: Use the Windows Feedback Hub app built directly into Windows 10
  • Documentation on docs.microsoft.com: Sign in at the bottom of the page to give documentation feedback via Github
  • Visual Studio / .NET: Use the Visual Studio UserVoice site

If you’re new to UserVoice, two things to keep in mind are (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and not the actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request (or if too many different ideas are included in one suggestion).

How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. FeedbackHub link is broken in Windows 10 1809

If you set project target version to 1809 and you try to use this official example for launching feedback hub:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/monetize/launch-feedback-hub-from-your-app

It will crash the app. Here is also full code example of this problem: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArB5XyXKJ9ZWhjheAPPpeRA1rBWe

It's very problematic because now 1809 is available almost everyone and feedback hub launch link itself is broken in 1809. I had to revert it to 1803 to get it working.

5 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Modern Windows UI in Win32 desktop applications

Bring modern Windows UI to existing Win32, WPF and Windows Forms desktop apps with the option to adopt islands of Windows.UI.Composition and Windows.UI.XAML content incrementally. Allows desktop apps to incrementally adopt UI innovations and creates a bridge to UWP for app UI.

374 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

87 comments  ·  XAML/Controls/Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • UWP Grid should have ShowGridLines property from WPF

The WPF Grid control had a ShowGridLines property. This is helpful for layout debugging. This property is missing in UWP.

17 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  XAML/Controls/Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Cannot submit app to the store using cppwinrt and XAML.

I am using cppwinrt to build an app for the store, but the XAML IDL generation seems to be generating invalid metadata.
          --------------

The overloaded methods GetXamlType of type <App>.XamlMetaDataProvider in file <App>.winmd have the same number of in parameters without one that has DefaultOverloadAttribute. Exactly one method overload must have DefaultOverloadAttribute.

2 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  SDK - Tools + Templates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • SwipeControl should support mouse input

The SwipeControl control should support mouse input as well as touch input. Currently it only supports touch input.

I appreciate that swipe controls have come out of developments around touch interfaces. However on a platform that allows for a single app to run on both desktop and touch devices I think that users will be expecting to be able to interact with the app in similar ways across devices.

Microsoft have set precedent for this in their own apps. Outlook for example utilises a SwipeControl type arrangement (that can be interacted with using a mouse) for marking emails as read…

22 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  XAML/Controls/Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Fix Schema For Hid DeviceCapability

Some Hid devices can not be included under DeviceCapability in the Package.appmanifest. This means that some hardware devices can not be used. The error is: 'vidpid:‭2B24‬ 0001' violates pattern constraint of 'any|vidpid:[0-9a-fA-F]{4} [0-9a-fA-F]{4}( (usb|bluetooth))?|model:[^;]{1,512};.{1,512}'

2 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Severe Bug: Crash when using StoreServicesFeedbackLauncher to lauch Feedback Hub

Calling StoreServicesFeedbackLauncher.LaunchAsync() in a UWP app now causes an unhandled Win32 exception if the target platform is set to Windows 10 version 1809. See https://stackoverflow.com/questions/52769958/microsofts-feedback-hub-now-crashes-my-uwp-app for another report of this.

This means that the Feedback Hub can't be used by apps targeting Windows 10 version 1809 or later.

I have installed the Store Services SDK using the NuGet package method as described here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/uwp/monetize/microsoft-store-services-sdk#install-the-sdk.

A workaround or fix would be appreciated.

3 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • TreeView event for child re-ordering

The UWP TreeView control lacks an event to notify that child nodes have been re-ordered due to a drag and drop. The DragItemsCompleted event is fired but there is no direct information in the arguments about whether the child ordering has changed or whether a child has been added.

3 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  XAML/Controls/Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Bug: No crash dump for side-loaded HoloLens app when crash dump enabled

Apologies if this isn't the correct place to lodge this bug. If not, please redirect me :)

We have a Unity HoloLens app that calls into a native dll which throws an unhandled exception. The application crashes. There are no clues in the Unity logs as you'd expect, as this is native code.

We've enabled Crash Dumps for the app under "App Crash Dumps" in the Windows Device Portal, but whenever the crash happens, nothing appears under Crash Dumps in the same window when refreshed.

This definitely worked in previous Windows versions on the HoloLens. Could it be a bug…

2 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Windows Device Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Add PaneBackground Property to NavigationView

It is currently possible to change the background brush of the NavigationView itself, but the Pane, in particular, is not so straightforward. Users can modify the designated ResourceKey, but cannot change this brush outside of XAML.

Users would benefit greatly from a "PaneBackground" property that can be set to an AcrylicBrush, etc. Especially, since the pane of this control is currently opaque by default in a WPF XAML Island.

To reproduce this situation, please create an "XAML island" in a WPF application. Setting the child to a NavigationView. Then, from C#, search the NavView object for a simple PaneBackground property.…

2 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

on the backlog  ·  2 comments  ·  XAML/Controls/Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Please improve the Store Certification process!

Please provide some consistency in the certification process. I submitted a game for publishing on Monday. It went through the entire process in about 2 hours. The game wasn't set to be published until Friday at Midnight.

Over the course of the week, some fixes were made to the game's code and was resubmitted for publication on Thursday around 10am.

It's been sitting in "Certification in Progress" now for 2 days. If it doesn't go through, I'm going to miss my published release date.

If you can't give a reasonable estimation on release times, maybe let us put multiple releases…

3 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dev Center + Microsoft Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Xamarin.Forms - Prevent keyboard from showing on Entry field focus

Currently, Entry field in Xamarin.Forms provides no functionality to prevent soft keyboard from showing up entirely. There are solution out there that will hide it but they make things even worse since now you have keyboard popping up briefly, then disappearing from the screen.

It feels like having a way to disable keyboard from showing up entirely on an Entry field makes sense. For example, I make my own buttons, that resemble keyboard. Tapping on each of these, puts some characters in the Entry field without showing keyboard but only when Entry field receives focus.

Another example, scanning with external…

3 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  XAML/Controls/Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Infinite Canvas Export Image

The infinite canvas control doesn't have (that I could find) a way to export the ink as an image (PNG, JPG, GIF, etc).

The raw InkCanvas control underneath has ways using the StrokeContainer, but those are both private and unaccessable.

So can we have either a way to export, or can the underlying (my preference) InkCanvas be exposed as public?

Thanks!

Rob.

3 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows Community Toolkit  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Provide a way to mark a Store submission as a bug fix so it can skip or fast-track certification

From my recent experiences it seems that an app submission can pass certification with no problems, but then a subsequent submission that only makes a very minor code change such as bug fix can fail certification. I accept that this will probably happen in general because full checks cannot be applied every time and different testers may pick up on different things.

However, it concerns me that one day I will run into the following hypothetical scenario:
                              I release a major app update which passes certification fine. I then notice a critical bug in the app which I need to…

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Dev Center + Microsoft Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • UWP CommandBar SecondaryCommands KeyboardAccelerators

SecondaryCommands KeyboardAccelerators in a CommandBar only work until the SecondaryCommands menu is opened, then when closed they stop working. This has been tested in 1809.

2 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • 3D Volumetric Content in the Visual Layer/ XAML

Enable 2D application developers to easily use 3D volumetric content in XAML/Composition by configuring spatial scenes and manipulating transforms and skeletal animations.

12 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  XAML/Controls/Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Convert a company account into an individual

I made the mistake of registering a dev account using the type company instead of individual. Now I cannot change it to individual. This is not good enough. I have to be able to change dev account type. Please make this happen as soon as possible.

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dev Center + Microsoft Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Make finding and repairing, replacing, understanding certificates as clear and simple as "going to the DMV to replace my drivers license"

The only time a "regular" computer user encounters "certificates" is when they don't work. When will you "developer geniuses" produce an easy to understand method to deal with this? When I need a new travel passport, I go to the post office. When I need a new drivers license, I go to the DMV.
                                      When I need to get a new or working certificate, I get zero useable info from Microsoft and its "benighted brigades" of the "we don't know, we don't give a d@mn" developers and other careless useless managers of this opaque organisation!
                                      FIX THE PROBLEM!
                                      MAKE IT…

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Button in the UI (notificationcenter) to switch between different Bluetooth Devices

Hi Dev Team,

is it possible to get an switch for changing between different bluetooth devices. I know there is one in the notificationcenter to switch bluetooth on and off. But if you want to switch between different headphones you have to go to the settings app and connect to them directly (Example).

I found no quick way to solve this problem.

Thank you

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI Testing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Suggestion for future updates of windows

Hi
                                          I am here to express some of my ideas regarding future updates of Windows 10 or any other update. First, I request you to add more customization for PC also add new a speed booster to increase the speed at least a bit for low end PCs. Though it may not be possible but still a suggestion.
                                          Well, I like your this view of build too.

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dev Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 116 117
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base