Universal Windows Platform

Welcome to the Windows Platform Developer (WPDev) Feedback site. This feedback forum provides the WPDev community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center Store (developer portal, back-end services, reporting/analytics and process)
  • Windows Stores (Windows and Windows Phone)

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team, providing feedback to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the development platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

If you’re new to this whole UserVoice thing, we’d like to note two important things about this site: (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and does not represent an actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request.

How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Want to use Desktop Bridge but Windows Store discourages me

'm writing this feedback in Desktop Bridge because I think this team is the innovative and will do a better job of communicating these problems to Windows Store team. Desktop Bridge attracts me as a developer but Windows Store puts me off. I want to see a better Windows Store first where my apps can be found. Currently, the only way to find programs are if you type their names. There are no keyword searches. For example, type "notes" or "note taking software" and there are no paid programs displayed. This has been like that for many years but no…

4 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Submission Desktop bridge App no work

Hello, I had verified the Desktop Bridge Email several days ago , but now I has no reach out other email, I try to submission my converted app to store , but get errors like that :

Package acceptance validation error: You don't have permissions to specify the following namespaces in the appx manifest file of the package QYPlayer_1.1.0.0_x86.appx: http://schemas.microsoft.com/appx/manifest/foundation/windows10/restrictedcapabilities

next what I need to do ?

5 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • I need a ClickOnce like Deployment method for my UWP LOB Application

In my WPF app I created a ClickOnce that I deployed to my Azure website (URL) and warns the user and update the App before it is shown. I need a similar feature for UWP.

2 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

on the backlog  ·  0 comments  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Improve support Google IME

I tried the converted app using IME. Microsoft IME and JustSystems ATOK work fine. But Google IME launch failed as message is "Launch failed, please system reboot" on Creators Update. Of course, Win32 Apps and UWP Apps can use Goggle IME. We want to improve support Google IME.

4 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Can you expedite the approval process to publish apps in the Store?

I have tried for over a month now and I am yet to hear from this team. I do not know what else to do. I am ready to publish 2 apps but not able to due to the restrictions in the store. Any help will be greatly appreciated....

2 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • CLASS_NOT_REGISTERED with PackagedCOMServer client app

How can we ensure registration is complete for the COM server without adding regsvr32 command in post build and setting linker value for “Register Output” to false. We can see the entries added in the registry, but client cannot access the interfaces. We see an error CLASS_NOT_REGISTERED message. Saw the same issue with client app in PackagedComServer sample with those 2 settings changed. (removal of regsvr32 in post build, and register output to false).
              Link to the sample: https://github.com/Microsoft/DesktopBridgeToUWP-Samples/tree/master/Samples/PackagedComServer

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • No sounds with using FullTrustProcessLauncher

I saw new post, and I confirmed that the problem was fixed following URL.

https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-universal-windows-platform/suggestions/16179244-no-sounds-with-using-fulltrustprocesslauncher

Thanks for fixing an issue.

But, I noticed that it still happens no sound issue in another situation. (Ofcourse, I'm using Windwos 10 Creators Update Version.)

playing sound with System.Media.SoundPlayer in UWP (foreground app) -> calling FullTrustProcess (background task / win32 DirectX app) -> Playing sounds with DirectX in FullTrustProcess -> closing FullTrustProcess -> closing UWP -> rebooting UWP -> (Repeat above for several times) -> No sounds. (neither foreground nor FullTrustProcess)

-> It sounds normally after reboot OS.

Thanks.

2 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• UI Access support for Centennial Converter

We have a uwp in the store and a desktop companion app. Currently to install our software (and have it function) both programs are needed. Merging them into a single installer would benefit our users greatly. It seems in order to do that we need to either pull out of the store or convert our desktop app to a uwp and merge the two installers. The issue we run into is that our desktop app uses ui access. Is ui access support on the list of upcoming features? Having a good informed answer to this question will help tremendously in helping us understand how…

6 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Documentation on how to call UWP API from C

All the documentation on how to call UWP methods are in C# and require the .NET platform.

Is there a low-level C interface as well? I'm developing a Java application so interop with C# is kinda tricky, while interop Shell32 API or C libraries is pretty easy and straightforward with JNA.

3 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Failing to start isolated environment

[msft]
                      Right now creating an isolated environment fails for some installers. if you see “E_STARTING_ISOLATED_ENV_FAILED” or “800705B4”, chances are it is this. If you feel it isn’t, please create a new issue.

-----

I was able to run the converter on build 14316 and 14352. However, on build 14383, I got this error.

Running Installer in Isolated Environment

[2016-07-11T20:14:52] No installer valid exit codes specified. Using defaults: 0
                      [2016-07-11T20:14:52] Replace any occurence of <log_folder> in -InstallerArguments with C:\shared\logs
                      [2016-07-11T20:14:52] Creating Isolated Environment
                      [2016-07-11T20:14:54] Starting the Isolated Environment
                      [2016-07-11T20:16:55] An error occurred running your installer in isolation
                      [2016-07-11T20:16:55] Invoke-IsolatedInstall : error…

48 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

28 comments  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Provide checksums for BaseImage-*.wim files

It might be necessary to ensure the downloaded base images are not corrupted, and it would be very nice for you to provide them. Thanks!

5 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Allow context menu verbs with file explorer integration without having a file type association

On this page, there is explanation how to make a file explorer integration on a desktop bridge app:
                          https://msdn.microsoft.com/sv-se/windows/uwp/porting/desktop-to-uwp-extensions

In short you could add something like this in your manifest-file:

<uap3:Extension Category="windows.fileTypeAssociation">
                          <uap3:FileTypeAssociation Name="MyApp">
                          <uap:SupportedFileTypes>
                          <uap:FileType MultiSelectModel="Document">.txt</uap:FileType>
                          <uap:FileType>.foo</uap:FileType>
                          </uap:SupportedFileTypes>
                          <uap2:SupportedVerbs>
                          <uap3:Verb Id="Edit" Parameters="/e &quot;%1&quot;">Edit</uap3:Verb>
                          <uap3:Verb Id="Print" Parameters="/p &quot;%1&quot;">Print</uap3:Verb>
                          </uap2:SupportedVerbs>
                          <uap:Logo>Assets\MyExtensionLogo.png</uap:Logo>
                          </uap3:FileTypeAssociation>
                          </uap3:Extension>

I’m working on porting an app that could calculate MD5 checksums on a file. I want to add this as a context menu option on for instance zip and iso-files. But it’s not possible to do this without making a file type association as I get it :(.…

7 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Fix BSOD during install if disk space is low

If you have no more disk space; the install crashed. After that, you have a BSOD in loop ... You have to refresh your computer.

3 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Accessing network drive fails in Common Dialog

Our desktop application displays a dialog using the GetOpenFileName API function, access to the Network Drive may fail.
                              There is no problem when accessing by computer name.

It does not always result in an error.
                              In some cases, an access error may occur at the time of opening a file, or it may be opened correctly.

We want a solution.

2 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Specify Arguments in AppxManifest.xml for Application Executable

Many developer will be bringing java / python / etc applications to the Windows Store via the Desktop Bridge.

It would be great if the <Application Executable="launcher.exe"> element or the <uap3:Extension Category="windows.appExecutionAlias"> element would allow me to specify arguments in the AppxManifest.xml file.

That would allow me to use the bundled javaw.exe or python.exe directly and instead of having to use my own launcher that effectively does nothing but call javaw.exe / python.exe with some predefined arguments.

2 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Failing to delete an original file of %AppData%\Roaming folder

Environment:
                                  %AppData%\Roaming\Test\Test.txt
                                  Converted App is following behavior.
                                  1. Read %AppData%\Roaming\Test\Test.txt.
                                  centennial runtime create junction point in %AppData%\Local\Packages\PkgId\LocalCache folder.
                                  2. Write %AppData%\Roaming\Test\Test.txt.
                                  centennial runtime create this instead of junction point.
                                  When I delete %AppData%\Roaming\Test\Test.txt, occur error , error message is "The action can't completed because the file is open in System". So, centennial runtime locks an original file.
                                  Workaround: reboot or uninstall app.

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow to pass runtime arguments to Windows.ApplicationModel.FullTrustProcessLauncher.LaunchFullTrustProcessForCurrentAppAsync()

Allow us to use runtime arguments for Windows.ApplicationModel.FullTrustProcessLauncher.LaunchFullTrustProcessForCurrentAppAsync() in addition to the parameters declared in the manifest

4 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Enable converted desktop apps to access Contacts, Appointments, and so on

Our desktop application provides users with custom contact data that we'd like to sync for them with Windows 10 contacts.

We are working on the Converted version of the app, to enable such capabilities, and to distribute our desktop app via the Windows Store, but we have to distribute it for previous versions of Windows as well, and so we can't afford having two completely different versions of the product for the time being.

It'd be fantastic if it could be possible to access such data from the converted classic apps.

5 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Failed to Create Isolated Environment (E_CREATING_ISOLATED_ENV_FAILED)

Desktop App Converter] constantly fails with the E_CREATING_ISOLATED_ENV_FAILED error.

The inner exception that has sense is the "System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException".

Inner Exception[3]:
                                        System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: The system cannot find the path specified. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070003)

Most probably the problem is in these two lines:

Setting up Conversion Environment

[2016-10-21T14:23:26] Copying contents of D:\MyApp to C:\DesktopAppConverter\ccba45a0-1360-478d-b9e2-66d32dbedc0d\shared\installer to be shared with isolated environment
                                        [2016-10-21T14:23:26] Copying KnownFolderDump.exe and its dependencies to C:\DesktopAppConverter\ccba45a0-1360-478d-b9e2-66d32dbedc0d\shared\dac\bin

I looked through the GUID-named folder and found no "SHARED" folder inside. So, no contents of MyApp and no KnownFolderDump.exe. The "dac" folder exists, but under "output", not under "shared".

And the "dac" folder…

5 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Simplify Publish to Appx package (Centennial)

Add Publish to Appx for Centennial button in VS. It should be <2 minute wizard with no CMD involvement if you want developers to add their software to the store. As simple as ClickOnce publishing. I do not want to convert MSIs

17 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. We are designing the tools needed to make the transition to appx easier, however it can not be as simple as adding a new button since the user needs to edit the manifest, associate to the store, etc.. If you are interested in providing feedback about this new feature, please contact me @ridomin

Ricardo Minguez (Rido) [MSFT]

← Previous 1
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base