Universal Windows Platform

Welcome to the Universal Windows Platform Developer Feedback site. This site provides the Windows developer community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center (dashboard, reporting/analytics, submission process, etc.)
  • Microsoft Store

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

• Windows consumer suggestions: Use the Windows Feedback Hub app built directly into Windows 10
  • Documentation on docs.microsoft.com: Sign in at the bottom of the page to give documentation feedback via Github
  • Visual Studio / .NET: Use the Visual Studio UserVoice site

If you’re new to UserVoice, two things to keep in mind are (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and not the actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request (or if too many different ideas are included in one suggestion).

How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Show ToolTip for the disabled control in UWP

I want to show the tooltip for the disabled control in UWP.

In winform, there's a ToolTipService.SetShowOnDisabled(https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.windows.controls.tooltipservice.setshowondisabled?view=netframework-4.7.2) method for me to achieve it, but in UWP, I have not found the similar method.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Missing APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Expose UEFI's GetNextVariableName to the userspace

Windows API provides the SetFirmwareEnvironmentVariable and GetFirmwareEnvironmentVariable families of functions, that effectively allow setting and getting the UEFI variables.
    However it';'s not enough to work with the UEFI variables, because you also need a way to enumerate them.

UEFI spec has GetNextVariableName function that lets one do that that, but Windows does not expose it right now.

I'd like to have access to that functionality of the UEFI.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Missing APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. pin secondary tile without user consent

Currently, there is no built-in API for retrieving shortcut paths in UWP. I need it in order to create an application, whereby a user can create a shortcut in the file system, and the application is supposed to consider shortcuts similarly to a symlink (not all users of the application are capable enough to create true symlinks in Windows).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. GetVersion GetVersionEx deprecated, but shouldn't be

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/540773/getversion-getversionex-deprecated-but-shouldnt-be.html

with latest Win 10 SDK for Win32 I’m getting warnings:

warning C4996: ‘GetVersion’: was declared deprecated
    1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.17763.0\um\sysinfoapi.h(135): note: see declaration of ‘GetVersion’

warning C4996: ‘GetVersionExW’: was declared deprecated
    1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.17763.0\um\sysinfoapi.h(387): note: see declaration of ‘GetVersionExW’

The suggested replacement is ‘VerifyVersionInfo’
    However that function only compares the version, but does not return the actual version number.

What I’m trying to do, is NOT compare, but actually display the OS version number to the user.
    So I can’t use ‘VerifyVersionInfo’, and I want to use “GetVersion GetVersionEx”, however I’m getting deprecation warnings.

The deprecations are incorrect…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Settings URI for installing a specific language/region

I need an API or URI for launching the Settings screen for the installation of a specific language/region...eg Spanish - Mexico, Chinese (Simplified) - China
    For more detailed explanation, see this StackOverflow question:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54973164/uwp-uri-for-installing-a-specific-language-region

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Display custom information in App settings of UWP application

I am building a UWP application. When I open the app settings for my App, I see a window like this: https://i.stack.imgur.com/ztTRy.png

I want to display some more information on this window. I want to display if the app is in beta version or debug version or release version on this window.

The Stackoverflow link: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54607669/display-custom-information-in-app-settings-of-uwp-application

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. OnConnectVisualChildren

Corresponding to UIElement.OnDisconnectVisualChildren it would make sense to also have UIElement.OnConnectVisualChildren, indicating when a child has been added. In WPF we had OnVisualChildrenChanged but this seems to be missing from UWP.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. UWP - How to change the size of a drag image during drag and drop?

I'm trying to drag and drop a UI element that exists within a Viewbox. As soon as the drag process begins, the expected image shows up for the drag operation, but the image is full size and not the size of the image as displayed within the Viewbox.

Is there a way to have the drag image automatically respect the displayed size of the source element? If not, is there a way to programmatically change the size of the drag image to match the displayed size of the of the UI element being dragged?

I don't see any options in…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. PickMultipleFoldersAsync

In UWP, there are a variety of pickers to pick single or multiple files async, there is a picker for picking folders, but no picker to pick multiple folders. When you need to copy only certain folders, or scan for files on multiple folders but not all, this would be very useful.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. need a way to capture a user clicking the “maximize” button on a UWP app

I'm trying to find a clean way to put my app into full-screen mode (as opposed to maximized mode) when the user clicks the maximize button. The problem is, I can't find any event to identify when the maximize button is clicked.

The reason I'm asking this question is I have a UWP game that runs in FullScreenMode. However, if the user wants to switch it windowed mode, they can. If they want to go back to Full Screen Mode again, there is no way for me to tell that they're trying to request that.

I could add a button…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add API to access active "actual" power scheme

Since some Win10 version, there is only one 'balanced" power scheme, where the user can change the setting with a slider when clicking on the battery icon in the taskbar.
    But there is no public API yet where you can access which of the actual slider states is enabled (or set it). I would expect one in powrprof.dll, similar to PowerGetActiveScheme(), but then for the actual one.
    Or at least create a parameter for it in powercfg.

Thanks!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Notify FrameworkElement.IsLoaded property

Based on the fact that FrameworkElement.IsLoaded is not accompanied by a dependency property (I.e. there is no FrameworkElement.IsLoadedProperty), it would seem that IsLoaded is not notified when it changes.

It would be a lot more useful if it were notified / were a dependency property.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Provide API to relaunch the app if it was closed as part of a system update reboot

When a machine automatically reboots as part of installing updates any running apps are closed.
    Upon a person next logging into the device it would be nice to be able to have the app restart automatically too.

A small number of non-UWP desktop apps do this but rely on service components to trigger restarting the app which is undesirable in a modern/UWP environment.

I'd like to see a way for any UWP app to opt-in to being automatically restarted when the user logs in after a shutdown caused by an automatic reboot. Having the app receive activation parameters that indicate…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Missing APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. SVG splash screen image

Now that Xaml and DirectX support SVG images I'd love to provide my splash screen image as an SVG file.

It would save a tons of space to only have one small SVG for a simple icon rather than a dozen large png files. In fact, the smaller file size might also mean the app would load faster. So often the png splash screen is larger than all of the app's compiled code.

(I'd also be OK using a Xaml Path.)

74 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. [UWP] Add HighQualityCubic option to BitmapInterpolationMode

The Windows Imaging Component WICBitmapInterpolationMode enumeration has supported the value WICBitmapInterpolationModeHighQualityCubic since Windows 10 was first released. However, the corresponding Windows.Graphics.Imaging.BitmapInterpolationMode enum has not been updated to include this value. Please add this value so we can use it in the BitmapTransform of a BitmapDedcoder method for getting pixel data or a SoftwareBitmap.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add support for Windows Biometric frame work API to UWP apps

Enable support for Biometric frame work API's for UWP so that we can develop stand alone apps for reading/storing/authenticating with the help of finger print on a central/kiosk devices.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Disable Layout Scaling for Hololens - TrySetDisableLayoutScaling

I want my UWP UI to look the same across any screen of the same resolution, regardless of the scale factor applied by Windows.

For instance, when running my app on the Hololens it applies a 150% scale factor. This means the UI looks squished when compare to a desktop screen of a similar resolution (1280x720).

TrySetDisableLayoutScaling on the ApplicationViewScaling Class looks perfect, but only works for Xbox.

Can this be implemented for the Hololens?

Originally posted on SE:
    https://stackoverflow.com/q/47452892/3209889

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add ECDH crypto

I'm looking to use ECDH key agreement in an universal windows app, but I can't find a way to do so. 
    I have previously used the desktop NCryptCreatePersistedKey with NCRYPT_ECDH_P256_ALGORITHM, followed by
    NCryptSecretAgreement.

I would have expected that this would be the way to start, but there is no ECDH possible in https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.security.cryptography.core.asymmetricalgorithmnames

AsymmetricKeyAlgorithmProvider prov = AsymmetricKeyAlgorithmProvider.OpenAlgorithm(strAsymmetricAlgName);
    String strAlgName = objAlgProv.AlgorithmName;
    CryptographicKey keyPair = prov.CreateKeyPair(keyLength);

I'm looking to use ECDH key agreement in an universal windows app, but I can't find a way to do so. 
    (Note that this is not ECDSA; the use of elliptic curve keys in a signature mode)
    I…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Detect whether user has rated the app or not

As a developer, the only way to increase app ratings and review is to prompt user.

At present there are no APIs to detect whether a user has rated the app or not. Some users get annoyed and down rate the app due to this very reason.

This is a very basic piece of functionality that has been missing for long.

Please provide us a simple API that gives us this information.

Alternative for us to continue work towards this http://invokeit.wordpress.com/2013/10/16/detect-whether-user-has-reviewed-your-app-or-not-wpdev/ however I am not keen on this purely because I can see this being abused very easily.

313 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Missing APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Per the wonderful Mr. Torr: This should be supported now — if you use StoreRequestHelper.SendRequestAsync and pass 6 and an empty string as the parameters, you should get back a response. (Not documented yet…):

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/uwp/api/Windows.Services.Store.StoreRequestHelper#Windows_Services_Store_StoreRequestHelper_SendRequestAsync_Windows_Services_Store_StoreContext_System_UInt32_System_String_

Will close this out once docs are out

20. Kiosk mode needs App Update APIs

Kiosk mode for business users is a great idea. However when an app is running in Kiosk mode, the update process is unstructured/uncontrolled.

It would be great for a permanently running app to have an API which notifies it when an update is available, to notify when an update is forced, to permit the app to check for an update easily and also to permit the app execute the update. This would enable the user to be told when an update is available and allow them (or the app) to schedule the update. E.g. in a production system there may…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Missing APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base