Universal Windows Platform

Welcome to the Windows Platform Developer (WPDev) Feedback site. This feedback forum provides the WPDev community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center Store (developer portal, back-end services, reporting/analytics and process)
  • Windows Stores (Windows and Windows Phone)

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team, providing feedback to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the development platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

If you’re new to this whole UserVoice thing, we’d like to note two important things about this site: (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and does not represent an actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request.

How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SVG splash screen image

Now that Xaml and DirectX support SVG images I'd love to provide my splash screen image as an SVG file.

It would save a tons of space to only have one small SVG for a simple icon rather than a dozen large png files. In fact, the smaller file size might also mean the app would load faster. So often the png splash screen is larger than all of the app's compiled code.

(I'd also be OK using a Xaml Path.)

34 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Missing APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • ApplicationView - Window Size improvements

ApplicationViewWindowingMode Enum

For my work app, we wanted the app to launch maximised. The closet option is to launch it FullScreen but that obscures the task bar.

Auto give little control over the first launch of the app.

This meant that I ended up using PreferredLaunchViewSize during first launch and then Auto on subsequent launches.

This is what I am currently using

var currentAppView = ApplicationView.GetForCurrentView();

currentAppView.SetDesiredBoundsMode(ApplicationViewBoundsMode.UseVisible);

var di = Windows.Graphics.Display.DisplayInformation.GetForCurrentView();

var size = new Size(di.ScreenWidthInRawPixels, di.ScreenHeightInRawPixels);
      size.Height -= 100;
      size.Width -= 100;

ApplicationView.PreferredLaunchViewSize = size;

ApplicationView.PreferredLaunchWindowingMode = ViewModelLocator.AppSettingsInstance.WindowSizeSet ? ApplicationViewWindowingMode.Auto : ApplicationViewWindowingMode.PreferredLaunchViewSize;

ViewModelLocator.AppSettingsInstance.WindowSizeSet = true;

This seems a bad…

14 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Missing APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • API to set where compact overlay window is shown

Compact overlay window is always shown at the right-top corner.

Please make it possible to locate at the other three corners.

4 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Improve BrightnessOverride API to support Desktop / Mobile

Consider a full screen application where you'd like to temporarily control that brightness.

1) Camera app using display as a flash to light-up when using front facing camera.
          2) Clock app to control the brightness of display at night time
          3) Night mode in news app Mailonline app to provide a better reading experience in the evenings / nights.

A previous uservoice "API to control screen brightness" https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-universal-windows-platform/suggestions/2359006-api-to-control-screen-brightness was marked closed after Creators update with Brightness control being introduced.

BrightnessOverride would fit the purpose except it requires IoT / Embedded mode and therefore cannot use this API. Please extend the…

5 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• FM Radio RDS support if FM Radio APIs are brought in

If FM radio APIs are brought in, it would be amazing if we could get RDS support as well. This would allow apps to say they were listening to KEXP instead only 93.1 and the station information as well.

For FM radio APIs, please vote here: https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-universal-windows-platform/suggestions/17399074

74 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Missing APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Provide a class in Windows.Services.Store namespace that can be used to simulate license info during testing.

The Windows.Services.Store namespace does not provide a class that you can use to simulate license info during testing. If you use the Windows.Services.Store namespace to implement in-app purchases or trials, you must publish your app to the Store and download the app to your development device to use its license for testing.

Provide funtionality similar to CurrentAppSimulator class found in Windows.ApplicationModel.Store namespace.

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• LaunchUriAsync with default video/audio player

Allow app to launch URI with http schema in default video or audio player (not only store player, win32 apps support will be great).

Now in current API if try to open http-URI with Launcher.LaunchUriAsync and option { ContentType = "video/mp4" }, it will opened in default web-browser.

4 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• opus capabilites for UWP

I'm a developer trying to make a Discord app for Windows Phone, Windows Tablet, Xbox and HoloLens. It is a significant limitation to not have an opus supported library and makes many features impossible.

6 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Missing APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Ability to control FM radio via APIs like we did in Silverlight for Windows Phone

With Silverlight in Windows Phone, i had the ability to use FM radio APIs. In UWP, I cannot use these APIs as they weren't brought over. I would greatly apperciate if these APIs could be added to UWP.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/ff769541(v=vs.105).aspx#BKMK_FMRadioAPI

47 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Missing APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Ability to force speaker on Phone (or other devices) when headphones are plugged in

When using FM radio, i have my headphones plugged in. If i have access to the FM radio APIs, i need the ability in my app to force audio to go through the speakers, not the headphones.

I believe this should be a user based permission API in case the user doesn't want me to have this ability.

44 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Missing APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • provide quiet hours API

Dear Dev Team!

Please provide an API for quiet hours in Windows 10 (mobile) where developers can set the quiet hours parameters from foreground and background.

Thank you

72 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Missing APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • USB API by Port Number

The current USB API is lacking the ability to specify which USB Port Number to use, rather than the device VendorID/ProductID.
                          My situation:
                          I have two identical USB Zebra printers and cannot tell them apart.

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Access Payout Summary for Apps via API

The Windows Store analytics API allows great access to acquisition data (both app and add-on acquisitions).

However, being able to tie this data with revenue data is limited as transaction data can only be downloaded by CSV through the Payout Summary page.

Accessing this information through an API would be useful for creating automated KPI reports.

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add ECDH crypto

I'm looking to use ECDH key agreement in an universal windows app, but I can't find a way to do so. 
                              I have previously used the desktop NCryptCreatePersistedKey with NCRYPT_ECDH_P256_ALGORITHM, followed by
                              NCryptSecretAgreement.

I would have expected that this would be the way to start, but there is no ECDH possible in https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.security.cryptography.core.asymmetricalgorithmnames

AsymmetricKeyAlgorithmProvider prov = AsymmetricKeyAlgorithmProvider.OpenAlgorithm(strAsymmetricAlgName);
                              String strAlgName = objAlgProv.AlgorithmName;
                              CryptographicKey keyPair = prov.CreateKeyPair(keyLength);

I'm looking to use ECDH key agreement in an universal windows app, but I can't find a way to do so. 
                              (Note that this is not ECDSA; the use of elliptic curve keys in a signature mode)
                              I…

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Please support get user's eyes, mouth, nose, ear in FaceDetection. Thanhyou!

I'm creating app using face detection. I want to add sticker to user's face match eyes nose mouth and ear. Until now I can't find any api or documents about this.

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow DirectX access from all UWP applications, instead of requiring C++

Currently any UWP developer is forced to use C++ for accessing DirectX features or rely on third party support like SharpDX or Unity3D for those features.

Please expose the DirectX COM API as UWP one, having the API coming from Microsoft would be a much better guarantee than relying on third partys or in-house wrappers.

6 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• PrivateObject

PrivateObject and PrivateType are missing in Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestPlatform.UnitTestFramework

3 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add SystemTriggerType BatteryPercentChange

There is SystemTriggerType PowerStateChange, but it is not triggered when percent is changed. So one of two options would be useful:
                                      - adding new SystemTriggerType - BatteryPercentChange
                                      - triggering PowerStateChange also on percent change

It would be useful for creating more user-friendly battery related apps that provide better experience, for example, by refreshing tile or sending notification on the event, not some time after it happened.

2 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Store custom secret data on Windows Store server for application

Basic scenario is the need to store set of "secret API keys" for various 3-rd party APIs (twitter, for example). Just to hardcode API keys inside app executable files is security risk as it can be reverse engeneered.

There is should be a way to include secure data (as strings or byte[]) remotely at dev center as app setting.

This data should be accessible from secure key storage immediately after app install and keys should be installed into secure key storage as part of app installation process. So, application would request secret API keys as needed from system-provided secure storage.

2 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add option for MenuFlyout to cancel closing

Currently there is no way to prevent MenuFlyout from closing when user click any of its items.
                                          I'm not even sure if it is not a bug, because setting args.Cancel in Closing event is not working.

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base