Universal Windows Platform

Welcome to the Windows Platform Developer (WPDev) Feedback site. This feedback forum provides the WPDev community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center Store (developer portal, back-end services, reporting/analytics and process)
  • Windows Stores (Windows and Windows Phone)

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team, providing feedback to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the development platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

If you’re new to this whole UserVoice thing, we’d like to note two important things about this site: (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and does not represent an actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request.

How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Support HLS version 7 so Enterprises can move to Fragmented MP4 backed streams

Apple announced support for Fragmented MP4 backed HLS Streams under HLS version 7: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2016/504/ at WWDC 2016.

We are looking to change the way our HLS streams are generated and Windows seems to be one of the few platforms that doesn't support playing these type of streams.

This will also impede our ability to reuse these fMP4s for MPEG DASH in the future.

Can you please add support for this?

7 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

working on it  ·  2 comments  ·  Audio/Graphics/Media playback  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • [UWP] Media Player playback cancellation through phone call or other media app

I think I found a problem in Media Player. The problem happens on phone if media player is paused from another media app. In this case will be fired only MediaPlayer.PlaybackSession.PlaybackStateChanged event and it is not possible to detect whether app was paused through user or system. But if phone calls then will be simulated SystemMediaTransportControls pause button click (MediaPlayer.SystemMediaTransportControls.ButtonPressed event) and on phone call I can correctly stop my player and change some states. Why is it so? I think in first case must be fired ButtonPressed event too like it happens on phone call. Please add that capability.

2 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Audio/Graphics/Media playback  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Add TimedTextStreamDescriptor to enable subtitles from MediaStreamSource

The MediaPlayerElement supports various subtitle formats. But when we play a video file using MediaStreamSource, it is not possible to pass through the subtitle streams, because we cannot create MediaStreamDescriptors for them. So audio and video works, but subtitles don't work.

Since subtitles are demuxed on-the-fly during playback, we cannot use TimedTextSource either, this would require the complete stream/file to be available during creation...

This would be very helpful to make the MS initiated FFmpegInterop truly unviersally useful.

2 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Audio/Graphics/Media playback  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • MediaPlayer playback with CustomAudioEffect would be influence by UI thread

I add a CustomAudioEffect which is EQ (I've also tried using official UWP sample's EchoEffect) to MediaPlayer.

Although it seems CustomAudioEffect is running on Worker thread not UI thread, it seems media playback would also be impact when UI loading a bit heavier. I could hear my music become intermittently.

Please fix this.

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Audio/Graphics/Media playback  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Codecs for UWP Media Element

uwp Media Element or MediaPlayerElement are fantastic with UI.But their codecs to play different kinds of audio and video files is very limited. Please integrate ffmpeg or vlc libraries by default in these xaml elements to make it easier for developers to build apps that run all kinds of video and audio files.
            Thankyou

9 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Support Vulkan GPU API on UWP

Vulkan is an open 3D graphics and compute API, supported by many games ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_Vulkan_support ) and game engines ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(API)#Game_engines ).

5 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Audio/Graphics/Media playback  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Depth Textures D3D11_DSV_READ_ONLY_DEPTH API design introducing severe overhead

In DX11 you can't read and write to the same texture, and that's fine, I can live with that.
                However the API was designed that it will introduce severe overhead in the following scenario.

Say I have 100 objects to draw.
                These objects are semi-transparent (alpha-blending) so I need to draw them sorted by distance to camera (back to front) and not by state changes.
                Let's assume I have 50 objects which are Soft Particles (SP)
                And 50 objects that are triangle meshes (TM)

Both SP and TM use alpha blending.
                SP don't do depth writes, but they do depth-tests…

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Read currently played song

I would like to read currently played song or content in Windows 10. Use case: As neither Groove nor Spotify have a lyrics functionality (anymore) I created a simple UWP app to manage lyrics for songs. I would like to add a function that automatically loads the lyrics to the song that is played right now.

To solve that, it would be enough to have read access to the System Media Transport Controls data of other apps. Following data would be great:
                  - Title
                  - Artist
                  - Album cover (optional)
                  - App name
                  - Is playing or not
                  - Is…

14 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Background audio playback does not work on Build 15063 (UWP)

Background audio playback working on Build 14393 does not work on Build 15063.
                    It stops on the way.
                    I hope you can fix it.

[Sample Code]
                    Uri uri = new Uri("http://..."); // HLS
                    AdaptiveMediaSourceCreationResult result = await AdaptiveMediaSource.CreateFromUriAsync(uri);
                    if (result.Status == AdaptiveMediaSourceCreationStatus.Success)
                    {
                    mediaPlayerElement.SetMediaPlayer(new MediaPlayer());
                    mediaPlayerElement.MediaPlayer.Source = MediaSource.CreateFromAdaptiveMediaSource(result.MediaSource);
                    mediaPlayerElement.MediaPlayer.Play();
                    }

3 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Audio/Graphics/Media playback  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Possibility to control what microphones use in Lumia 930 through the portal

Behind the portal, the user could control which microphones the Lumia would use to circumvent the bug affecting the Lumias 930 Brazilians.

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add Ogg Vorbis/Opus to AudioEncodingProperties

It would be extremely helpful to be able to create MediaSourceStreams for audio streams in the Vorbis and/or Opus formats. In my case, I need this functionality for implementing Shoutcast/Icecast functionality.

12 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Audio/Graphics/Media playback  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • MediaPlayer fails opening .MKV from URL in Creators Update

We have a MediaPlayer that works with OneDrive MKV streams in previous versions but not in Creators Update.

If we put the MKV in another service or server the video is reproduced but the connection with OneDrive has been lost. Player raises "SourceNotSupported" error.

Please help.

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Audio/Graphics/Media playback  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi, we can’t get this to repro.

I just tried the following:
                            1) Upload MKV to OneDrive
                            2) One OneDrive, right-click the file, “Share” and choose to get a link
                            3) Attempt to use the resulting URL to play the file

Using MediaEngineTest and WMP, this fails on both CU and AU for me. And same result with an MP4.

Please share a proper repro else as we can’t reproduce.

• audio routing for media headset to speaker or vice versa (UWP)

allow developers to route audio from headset to speaker even if headset is connected, or provide a sample for that

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• User level App-to-App media (Audio/MIDI/Video)

Windows should allow users to freely redirect media (Audio, MIDI even Video someday, I guess) from/to the Hardware(audio interface, webcam, etc) and/or Applications (even considering "The Desktop" as a video+audio media generator).

Any media (Audio/MIDI/Video) generator/consumer (be it an app or an hardware device) should be treated as a freely connectable node, instead of an hardwired starting/ending point, like today.

This would allow the user, through the OS, to "detach" an App media output from its default interface (audio/midi card, screen/window) and "re-attach" it to another App (or device) input.

An example of this "An application as a node in…

26 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add DXGI_FORMAT_R10G10B10A2_SNORM

There is already unsigned DXGI_FORMAT_R10G10B10A2_UNORM
                                and it would be great to have a signed version DXGI_FORMAT_R10G10B10A2_SNORM

I'm working on a motion blur effect as post process, for which I'm storing velocities into a render target.
                                As I need only 3 channels XYZ, without the 4th W, DXGI_FORMAT_R10G10B10A2_SNORM would be great for that.

However now I'm stuck using DXGI_FORMAT_R8G8B8A8_SNORM

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Timeline API

<TimelineView Name="Timeline1" Length="05:00:00:0000" TimeCountDisplay="Timecode or AudioBeat or Frame">
                                  <AudioGroupe or ElementGroupe or ItemGroupe>
                                  <Composition Name="Composition01" Length="05:00:00:0000">

https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/12227024/26279716/6ee9460e-3d91-11e7-93f4-ef76da223a61.jpg
                                  <Track or Layer>
                                  <Clip or Source or Item TimeStart="00:01:00:0000" TimeEnd="00:01:00:0000" Id="audio01" URL="audio01.wave"> </Source>
                                  <Clip or Source TimeStart="00:01:00:0000" Id="audio02" URL="audio01.wave"> </Source>
                                  <Clip or Source TimeStart="00:01:00:0000" Id="audio03" URL="audio01.wave"> </Source>
                                  </Track or Layer>
                                  <Track or Layer>
                                  <Clip or Source TimeStart="00:01:00:0000" Id="audio04" URL="audio01.wave"> </Source>
                                  </Track or Layer>
                                  <Track or Layer>
                                  <Clip or Source TimeStart="00:01:00:0000" Id="audio05" URL="audio01.wave"> </Source>
                                  </Track or Layer>
                                  </Composition>
                                  </AudioGroupe>
                                  <VideoGroupe>
                                  <Composition Name="Composition01" Length="05:00:00:0000">
                                  <Track or Layer>
                                  <Clip or Source Length="00:01:00:0000" Id="videoo01" URL="video.mp4"> </Source>
                                  </Track or Layer>
                                  </Composition>
                                  </VideoGroupe>
                                  </TimelineView>

https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/12227024/26279584/0570b46c-3d8e-11e7-850a-839b153bf140.png
                                  https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/12227024/26279583/05621088-3d8e-11e7-8604-ac8c28a28f82.png

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• ASTC Textures

What happened to ASTC texture format?
                                    Originally this was supposed to be included in DirectX, but later was scrapped.
                                    Are we going to see it eventually?

Currently I'm using only 2 texture formats:
                                    BC1 - for small size (RGB only)
                                    BC7 - for good quality

While BC7 is great, the BC1 quality is not really good, however we still need small size for textures, as my game is currently over 11 GB of texture data.

From what I see ASTC would be great for that, have good quality but also small size, looks like it has lot of format options,…

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_FLIP_DISCARD slow

I've done some tests, and to my surprise DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_FLIP_DISCARD instead of bringing performance improvements, it slows things down.

Nvidia GeForce 650m GT, latest videos drivers (April/May 2017)
                                      Windows 10, latest updates (May 2017)
                                      DirectX 11 API

I've made a simple application, all it did was just clear the backbuffer several times and presented the screen. In v-sync mode, I've cleared it more times, to get below 60 fps limit.

Win32/WinAPI Results:

windowed, sync=false
                                      DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_DISCARD 850 fps
                                      DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_FLIP_DISCARD 655 fps

windowed, sync=true
                                      DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_DISCARD 42 fps
                                      DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_FLIP_DISCARD 34 fps

fullscreen, sync=true
                                      DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_DISCARD 16.9 fps
                                      DXGI_SWAP_EFFECT_FLIP_DISCARD 16.4 fps

I've done the same tests…

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add ability to use WASAPI loopback capture.

Currently UWP can't open WASAPI output devices in capture mode due to COM restrictions. This means loopback auto capture is not supported.

2 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow other formats than PCM and float for a FrameOutputNode created with CreateFrameOutputNode of class AudioGraph

Allow other formats than PCM and float for a FrameOutputNode created with CreateFrameOutputNode of class AudioGraph.

Other Formats like MP3 or OGG would be nice. One Scenario is that of a shoutcast source for Internet Radio streaming. A shoutcast source transmits MP3 data via TCP to a shoutcast Server. If a FrameOutputNode would allow to get the encoded MP3 data then that data could easily transmitted via a TCP Stream. Currently I have to save a MP3 stream to a file and then read from the file and transmit it over TCP. This burden would be eliminated would MP3 Frames…

3 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base