Universal Windows Platform

Welcome to the Windows Platform Developer (WPDev) Feedback site. This feedback forum provides the WPDev community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center Store (developer portal, back-end services, reporting/analytics and process)
  • Windows Stores (Windows and Windows Phone)

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team, providing feedback to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the development platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

If you’re new to this whole UserVoice thing, we’d like to note two important things about this site: (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and does not represent an actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request.

How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow to submit own IRadialController implementation instead of using HID injection driver

I would like to create my own Windows Wheel implementation for an existing bluetooth device that sends events over the BLE GATT protocol (not HID).
    I know it is possible to use something like https://github.com/ms-iot/samples/tree/develop/HIDInjector, but having to write c++ code for Bluetooth is holding me back. I would much rather write some UWP-like background application in C# that injects RadialController events.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Input (Mouse, Touch, Controller)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Improve Access to SystemNavigationManager.BackRequested

The API is fine, but where I'm running into trouble is that things like Flyouts and Dialogs intercept any and all access to the event. (Event registration order doesn't seem to make a difference)

This makes for problems with things like:
      1. Cached SplitView with IsPaneOpen=True inside a Frame that is navigated forward. (The SplitView captures the first BackRequested rather than the page navigation)
      2. A Flyout with custom picker UI that uses BackRequested to navigate internally.

To an extent this may be the same as https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-universal-windows-platform/suggestions/17263004-notify-subscribers-of-systemnavigationmanager-back but it's not quite the same problem.

2 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Input (Mouse, Touch, Controller)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Inconsistent flyout behavior in UWP apps

Hi! As a long time WP7/8 and now W10M user, I noticed inconsistent behavior of opening flyout with touch versus mouse.
        With mouse, flyout opens on right click which is ok. But when using touch gesture, I would expect behavior known from WP7/8 - flyout (aka context menu) should open after couple miliseconds while my finger is still touching the given item. Instead in W10M it opens just when I release the finger. This is very annoying as I never know if there is some additional menu under the item or not.

In the end, developers have to use some…

6 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Input (Mouse, Touch, Controller)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Fix CoreIndependentInputSource

According to the documentation the proper way to handle input in a store app is to create a CoreIndependentInputSource from another thread by calling swapChainPanel.CreateCoreIndependentInputSource(). This gives you low latency input in case of a busy UI thread.

Once you create a CoreIndependentInputSource, touch visual feedback is visible again. Even if you disabled it using
          auto pointerVisualizationSettings = Windows::UI::Input::PointerVisualizationSettings::GetForCurrentView();
          pointerVisualizationSettings->IsContactFeedbackEnabled = false;
          pointerVisualizationSettings->IsBarrelButtonFeedbackEnabled = false;
          It's not about aesthetics, Visualfeedback kills performance, the framerate in games drops by half, which is ironic if you think that's the kind of apps CoreIndependentInputSource was created for in the first place. Devices with…

9 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Input (Mouse, Touch, Controller)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Right Alt (AltGr) and Left Control ****

Why do you always have to make a developer's life difficult.
            There's no easy way to detect Left Control key pushes.

Because on international keyboards, if Right Alt is pressed, then Left Control is also pressed? Why oh why, this is the stupidest thing ever.

I thought when designing a new API you could get rid of all the ******** and just make things clean and simple.

So I've developed a work around, to detect key pushes for LeftCtrl and RightAlt, and if both are pressed at the same time, then LeftCtrl pushes are ignored.

void OnKeyDown(CoreWindow^ sender, KeyEventArgs^ args)…

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• TabTip - Title Bar customization

Developing WIn10 IoT based applications, we are looking for a way to utilize the TabTip keyboard. To do so, it is crucial we can remove the Close button, or complete TitleBar from the TabTip keyboard.
              User interaction depends on it.

Searched up and down to get this done in Windows 10, no success.
              Similar has been accomplished in pre. used Win CE where MS granted more access to source code.

Many Thanks.

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• WinRT Gesture Recogntion

The WinRT GestureRecognizer class doesn't provide support for the typical gestures one might use on the phone such as swiping which it conflates into the same gesture as pan (drag).

This means that developers must implement their own gesture recognition (I'm basing mine off of Apple's superior UIGestureRecognizer classes) which will result in the users having different gesturing experience in each app.

Please either extend the existing class to consider the use cases for the phone or ditch it and come up with something more like Apple's approach which works better than what's currently there.

2 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Provide method to close the SIP

Controls displaying the SIP when focused should provide a method to close the SIP to ensure data binding is applied. Currently if the user clicks the "save" button right after using the SIP, the data entered is not persisted to the object bound to the control.

2 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base