Universal Windows Platform

Welcome to the Windows Platform Developer (WPDev) Feedback site. This feedback forum provides the WPDev community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center Store (developer portal, back-end services, reporting/analytics and process)
  • Windows Stores (Windows and Windows Phone)

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team, providing feedback to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the development platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

If you’re new to this whole UserVoice thing, we’d like to note two important things about this site: (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and does not represent an actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request.

How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Let us draw polygons with holes on the MapControl

Currently, there's a bug where polygons won't render when they overlap themselves (see https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/04bf003a-f15d-446a-8f70-3fa96905c303/map-polygons-with-holes-in-windows-phone-81)

So it's currently impossible to draw polygons with holes, which e.g. makes it impossible to draw complex buildings etc.

35 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

working on it  ·  4 comments  ·  Maps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Clustering support in maps

Clustering is a must have for the mapping apps.
      There should be a support library for having this kind of functionality.

22 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Maps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Fix Map control so that it is possible to databind/add multiple objects in Universal apps with reasonable performance

When you add items to the map and then pan the map the items aren't following the map but are lagging behind.

If you add more than a few, like 25+ the performance is so bad that you have to wait for a few seconds after you stop to be sure that the pins/controls are in the right position.

This is only happening in Universal apps if we make a Silverlight app the pins are following the map like they should even if more than a few hundred items are added.

There are lot's of posts about this around the…

12 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

working on it  ·  0 comments  ·  Maps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Create a new Route object without using RouteQuery

Windows Phone 8 includes a new Map control. It has a new feature to add a route that will be displayed under street names. Street names over the route will be shown in another color and are moved to stay always in center. To add a route to the map you have to create MapRoute object that accepts only Route object in it's constructor. But Route object does not have public constructor. The only possibility to create Route is RouteQuery class. This is a problem! RouteQuery uses online service to calculate the route. Apps can't show the traveled route at…

9 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Maps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • MapPolyLine Segments and stroke

Would like to see an improvement in MapPolyLine that allows multiple Individual Segments that have there own properties i.e. for example, once you add a location to MapPolyLine Instance, that becomes a segment, I should then be able to control the look and feed such as Color of the stroke for that segment of the MapPolyLine. Currently Changing the stroke changes the color for the entire line regardless of how many locations are added to the line. Also would like the ability to make the Line a 3d gradient shape to have it pop out more on the map control.

7 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Maps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Pushpin object seems doesn't work as decribed.

According to the description the Pushpin object should work as pop-up information window activated by pressing the map icon. Now it doesn't work the same way. Looks like it's functionality should be corrected.

7 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make the Maps Control more MVVM friendly

Today I can't instantiate a Mappolygon in an ItemControl from XAML.
                With the PhoneToolkit I can Instantiate polygons or other UI with an template that I can give to my more artistic gifted friends for making my map symbols stylish.
                But not the Mappolygon which is sad as I want to draw tracks and other information that is based on lat/long coordinates and want them to be drawn on the map as they used to in bing maps.

Sample from my old Bing map application
                <my:MapLayer Name="AIS_A_Layer" Visibility="Visible" Opacity="0.5">
                <my:MapItemsControl Name="A_Tracks" ItemsSource="{Binding AIS_A}" >
                <my:MapItemsControl.ItemTemplate>
                <DataTemplate>
                <my:MapPolyline Stroke="Black" StrokeThickness="1" Locations="{Binding…

6 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add dragging event for MapIcon.

I am working on Location based apps. I am using MapIcon to show user current location. Now I want to allow the user to drag that MapIcon but there is not an event to that. Please add this event.

4 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Support map tiles redraw (e.g. custom traffic tiles update)

The MapControl is quite limited in operations with custom tiles. I have need to redraw the tiles periodically, because they become outdated (the closest similar example is traffic layer, which needs to be periodically refreshed).

The (ugly) workaround I use is adding and removing MapTileSource, which forces tiles redraw. Even more, since this operation results in tiles flickering (because of redraw), I have to use 3 tile sources, switching between them. That crasy staff involves heavy redrawing of the map, and it also leads to visble scrolling slowing down in the moment of MapTileSource adding (which would be nice to…

3 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• MapControl with ShapeFiles - Universal Windows Platform

Something that would really give the MapControl a leg up over ESRI would be the ability to create a ShapeFile object and pass it as a parameter to something like: MapElement.CreateElementsFromShapefile(shapefile) and get a list of MapElements that could be added to the map.

3 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• ActualCamera.Location.Position.Altitude limited to 10000 m

The MapCamera returned by MapControl.ActualCamera has an altitude of 10000 even if it is actually greater than 10000 meters.

Its a problem for my project as I draw on the Map (on a Direct2D overlay) by recreating the ViewProjection matrix of the camera and it is wrong above 10000 meters.

Please fix it...

3 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add option to show all MapIcons all the time

Hiding some MapIcons as you zoom out is interesting in theory, but bad in practice. Please add an option to always show all defined MapIcons always -- regardless of zoom level, and without any interference from the system.

3 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• MapControl Spatial Queries - Universal Windows Platform

A great feature that would help out a whole bunch would be the ability to query data points on a MapControl.

You could simply call something like MapControl.PointsInRange(10) or MapControl.PointsInEnvelope(new Rectangle()) and have a list of points returned.

This is the key factor holding back the MapControl from replacing controls like ESRI's map control.

2 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• [Bug] MapControl PedestrianFeaturesVisible

PedestrianFeaturesVisible can be toggle only if MapStyle is set on "Road".
                              PedestrianFeaturesVisible cannot be disabled if MapStyle is set to "AerialWithRoads" and cannot be enabled if is set to Aerial3DWithRoads.

2 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow MapIcon to bind as ItemsSource in Here Map for windows Universal Apps

Right now we can't able to assign ItemsSource to MapIcon in here map for universal apps please allow to bind so can have easy to implement the apps having multiple Map Icons loads from database.

2 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow rotation/scaling of MapIcons so that they stick relative to when the map is rotated.

Allow rotation/scaling of MapIcons so that they stick relative to when the map is rotated. As an example, I place an MapIcon at a particular Lat/Long the rotate that MapIcon 156 deg. As the map is rotated the icon mains it;s relative rotation to the map. Prefer that i could stream XAML or other vector as MapIcon source to it will scale correctly. Also would like to place triggers at oom levels but that is a seperate issue.

2 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow to Specify Map Language of MapControl

Please allow to set the display language of MapControl to one different from Windows display language. The Windows display language of my computer is set to en-US, because I am an app developer and most app problems and solutions are written in English. However, I am developing a Chinese (zh-TW) app using MapControl on my computer. Unfortunately, we can't set the MapControl language by programming to a specific value. MapControl always uses the Windows display language. It is inconvenient for me to debug a Chinese app with MapControl, while my favorite Windows display languages is en-US.

2 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Access to Point of Interest (POI) data on the device

Windows Phone 8 has great offline maps with a lot of rich data. However, from a dev perspective, I cannot access most of the data displayed on a map. Please expose Point of Interest to developers. Specifically, I would like to query for POIs near-by (within a few kilometers). I DON'T want build a mapping (visually) application but use it for route calculation / travel guidance.

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Modify the opacity of tile layers in MapControl

Add opacity per layer to dynamically adjust layer opacity (say with a slider) if tiles have been previously loaded and viewed.
                                        The WP7 map control lets one adjust layer Opacity.

Original request per jaybo_nomad in forum:
                                        https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/761009ed-975f-4995-b218-2fca2572ae44/win10-map-control-why-isnt-opacity-available-on-tile-layers?forum=bingmapswindows8

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• sdk windows phone 8.1 upgrade mapicon capatibilities to beat android and ios !

make the mapicon of the windows phone sdk 8.1 able to be on top by the use of zindex
                                          make the event tapped accessible for mapicon too

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base