Universal Windows Platform

Welcome to the Windows Platform Developer (WPDev) Feedback site. This feedback forum provides the WPDev community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center (developer portal, back-end services, reporting/analytics and process)
  • Microsoft Store

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team, providing feedback to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the development platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

• Windows:
  • Documentation on docs.microsoft.com
    • Sign in to give documentation feedback via Github
  • Visual Studio / .NET

If you’re new to this whole UserVoice thing, we’d like to note two important things about this site: (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and does not represent an actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request.

How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Stabilize Virtual Desktop API

Currently there's a set of COM APIs, that provide access to Virtual Desktop-related features, like pinning apps to desktops, switching desktops, etc. Unfortunately, most of it is undocumented, and does not seem to be stabilized (2018 Spring Update for instance changed IApplicationView's CLSID, so apps using it stopped working).

26 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

9 comments  ·  Device - Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Add in Windows.Media.Casting Namespace desktop as Casting Source!

Improvements of casting via Miracast to support desktop as casting source.

7 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Device - Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Extend maximum size for CompactOverlay view mode.

The ApplicationViewMode CompactOverlay (also known as "Picture-in-Picture", "Mini-Mode" or "Always-on-top") for UWP apps has a maximum window size, which seems to be a square with sides of approximately half screen height.

I got several user feedback if I could provide a larger compact overlay.
        Unfortunately I can not, since this is limited through Windows.

Is there a good reason for this somehow arbitrary limit? (Other than "our product manager said 500 pixels are a good maximum width and height for something called compact"😋)
        Could you please increase the maximum size or better: remove it at all! Seems my users would…

6 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Device - Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Update and shut down

When you choose "Update and shut down" option when an update is available, let it complete everything before shutting down, therefore when I turn on the PC next time everything is already completed and there's nothing else to finish.

I always choose that option at night when I shut down the PC and in the morning I always still have something else unfinished to be updated.

3 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Cpu.o.s 1.0

Tengo el software que puede desaparecer windows pesa 250 mb mas poderoso que cualquier otro oferten

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Window Startup Position/Location

Currently there does not appear to be a way to set a window's startup position (left, top, width/right, height/bottom), beyond full-screen and/or maximized. Also, the last used position for a given window isn't saved intrinsically. Windows launch at random places on the desktop. I understand this need does not really exist for mobile. But for many desktop applications, specifically container applications, managing windows is a core feature objective.

6 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Navigate to users directory with Linux style

Most of my working data lives on C:\Users\my-name\ folder so I want to navigate to it as quick as possible. I believe many Linux users love the `~` or `/` path.

For example, when I want to go to my user path, just Ctrl + R, enter ~, then press Enter.

Or want to go to System drive path, currently, I press Windows key, enter C:, then press enter. It's good but / is save me less time than C:

Thank you!

2 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• AppX uninstall doesn't cleanup application frame data

I hear a lot about “clean uninstall” but we noticed a few months ago appx leaves some stuff behind. Specifically, persisted appframe window sizing data remains behind, potentially leaving the user/dev in a potential bad or confusing window state.

See the data piling up in the following stores:
                  • HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ApplicationFrame\WindowSizing
                  • HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ApplicationFrame\Positions
                  • HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ApplicationFrame\TitleBar

15 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add WMI support for UWP

Please add WMI support on UWP. I'm aware of the sandboxing. But if I'm designing an app just for a desktop, I should be able to get remote device info, remote registry read-write, copy-write files, etc remotely.

Basically I should be able to admin a remote desktop.

2 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Larger minimum window size for UWP

The SetPreferredMinSize() function should allow window sizes greater than 500 x 500px. We are currently developing for desktop-only screens (we have control over the device types), and want to prevent users from sizing the window smaller than 992px x 700px. This application is far too complex for mobile screens and 500 x 500 is too small. Is this an option we can hope for in the near future? Thank you,

4 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Disable sets

Please give developers the option to not participate in the upcoming sets feature.

2 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Have an option to boot straight to the BIOS menu

With SSDs and faster processors boot up is often times only a second, sometimes less. It has become difficult to both know what key you need to press, and get the timing of the press correct to be able to access your BIOS. It would be nice if there were an option somewhere where you could reboot your system straight into the BIOS menu.

3 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow disabling character-set-independent function aliases in Win32 API

Many functions in the Windows API are offered in both Unicode and ANSI variants - for example, CreateFileW and CreateFileA - and the header sets a preprocessor define CreateFile that resolves to one of the two based on whether UNICODE is defined.

This means that any file which includes windows.h is getting these macros dumped into the global namespace - which causes problems if we want to have a function named 'CreateFile' in our own code (even in our own namespaces/classes).

We'd be much happier if we could just avoid defining these macros entirely, to avoid any possible issues. We're…

6 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base