Universal Windows Platform

Welcome to the Windows Platform Developer (WPDev) Feedback site. This feedback forum provides the WPDev community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center Store (developer portal, back-end services, reporting/analytics and process)
  • Windows Stores (Windows and Windows Phone)

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team, providing feedback to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the development platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

If you’re new to this whole UserVoice thing, we’d like to note two important things about this site: (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and does not represent an actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request.

How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add Implicit Datatemplates to UWP

This Idea has already been posted for WinRT 5 years ago: https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-universal-windows-platform/suggestions/2831450-implicit-datatemplates-for-winrt

I'd like to have implicit DataTemplates in UWP. The main scenario is MVVM and resolving a View from a ViewModel. This scenario is described in this post: https://www.thomasclaudiushuber.com/2017/03/10/building-a-classic-tabbed-and-databound-desktop-app-with-uwp/

60 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Dynamically Load Assembly

Add the Assembly.Load method which accepts byte[] as a parameter in order to load an assembly in to the app domain. All the other platforms support this: .Net, Silverlight, Android (Xamarin), and even iOS (Xamarin)!

Why is the UWP team stubbornly resisting this? Without this UWP is more or less a toy because any customization requires that the app be deployed completely separately. Other platforms allow for customization to be downloaded and dynamically loaded in to the app domain.

63 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Allow UWP apps without .NET Native

In 2017, .NET Native is still not mature and still has bugs. But for UWP apps to be published in the App Store, you must use .NET Native. Interestingly, Apps wrapped with Desktop Bridge do not have to use .NET Native. So, please allow UWP apps without .NET Native! (This would automatically enable us to write apps in F#, too, as a side effect).

7 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Provide an API to retrieve current application icon for running appx app

With apps increasingly going the encrypted route, our app (EarTrumpet) is finding it harder and harder to retrieve the running appx app's current application icon (i.e. the icon you see in the taskbar).

Extracting the icon via FindWindow/etc. APIs is messy and not appropriate for loading scale sensitive assets. Parsing the PRI is only possible in unencrypted appx scenarios.

27 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• screen recording api

An api to let us create us create a screen recording app.

21 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Allow an Window to minimize programatically

This is only relevant for desktop UWP apps.

There are genuine use cases when we need to keep an app running when close button is pressed. One such case is here:

https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-universal-windows-platform/suggestions/18075751-remove-in-process-appservice-lifetime-restrictions

You can at least provide any of these solutions.

1. Add system tray support so that app can be minimised to system tray.
              https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-universal-windows-platform/suggestions/12817866-uwp-system-tray-support

2. You can only allow an app to catch close button event and minimise it to task bar programatically.

You need to provide CoreWindow.Minimise() api in this case.

11 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make UWP use Net standard 1.6

Support the last version of Net Standard 1.6.

Developing desktop apps for UWP is subpar as many API are not present like SqlClient. Microsoft is loosing a huge market by not supporting a full net standard.

Net standard should be used by UWP and not limited by it.

18 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow subpixel font smoothing (DirectWrite) in UWP apps

Currently UWP have less readable grayscale font smoothing. It makes UWP apps look worse than desktop apps on standard DPI screens. Allowing subpixel font rendering would make them look on par with desktop apps.

65 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • APIs to control volume

I would like to programmatically set and get the volume for Windows. If my app is currently playing audio, it would be nice if my app could control the experience and interact how i would want it to outside of the system experience. I want my user to stay inside my app.

16 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • [BUG] CurrentCulture should reflect the regional format defined by the user

Before UWP, CurrentCulture reflected the Regional Settings format and CurrentUICulture reflected the Display Language. That behavior is good but has changed in UWP (both now reflect the same thing: Display Language), making it unecessarely hard for developers to correctly respect the user's preference when displaying dates and numbers.

This behavior should be fixed or a new property should be made available in the SDK to enable us to get the user defined settings for regional format. We shouln't have to relly on workaround like this one: https://www.pedrolamas.com/2015/11/02/cultureinfo-changes-in-uwp/

42 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Shell Context Menus.

Please add Shell Context Menus API for UWP apps.
                        We need way to integration with Windows Explorer context menu.

58 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • ProcessLauncher for Desktop apps

IoT introduced the Windows.System.ProcessLauncher for starting arbitrary programs (like Process.Start in .NET). Add this for Side-loaded or enterprise distributed apps on Desktop devices

29 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Simplified web development with no dependency on java script for UI development

My suggestion/idea is to reduce the development time & effort needed for ASP.NET web application.
                            To label the developer as .NET developer instead of windows developer or web application developer.

The idea is to segregate the User Interface and business logic, such that the user interface will execute on users machine outside of browser/chrome as a standalone application.
                            Typical problem here would be deployment(Installation,update) of the UI application to client machine But if we simplify this process of deployment like having the rules that the UI app should be only one obfuscated executable file, It should not depend on reference…

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add Overlay UI like Android

The new Notification access is awesome but is it possible to add Overlay UI and " Services " ( you will find it under accessibility settings in Android) to RS2. It will make UWP more powerful like win32 and also let dev make some powerful and useful apps like " Universal Copy " and 'Native Clipboard" . I am adding some screenshots too. You can install those Android apps yourself. Screenshot_2016-06-12-11-02-35.png http://i.imgur.com/bpHQXue.png
                              Screenshot_2016-06-12-11-02-14.png http://i.imgur.com/mJBcme2.png
                              Screenshot_2016-06-12-11-01-36.png http://i.imgur.com/dTfqzrO.png
                              Screenshot_2016-06-12-10-59-52.png http://i.imgur.com/SEmJSNe.png
                              Screenshot_2016-06-11-22-22-47.png http://i.imgur.com/WzD5NUW.png
                              Screenshot_2016-06-11-22-22-41.png http://i.imgur.com/oin3msr.png
                              Screenshot_2016-06-11-22-22-21.png http://i.imgur.com/YCyUP59.png
                              Screenshot_2016-06-11-22-22-14.png http://i.imgur.com/77WIVRf.png
                              Screenshot_2016-06-11-22-21-26.png http://i.imgur.com/vV9Ct3N.png
                              I really want the Universal Apps to grow more powerful. I hope…

94 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Easy to use drag and drop API without XAML

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/33715933/drag-and-drop-a-file-on-windows-universal-app

Please add simple API:
                                void OnFilesDropped(String file_names[], int window_client_pos_x, int window_client_pos_y) {..}

I don't want to use a File Picker, or XAML. What I want is to drag and drop a file, then be able to get its full path and file name as stored on the disk, and access it using standard C++ IO file access functions, such as fopen, fread, etc.
                                I don't want to use XAML, because: it looks complicated, it looks like it can reduce performance, I'm making 3D heavy DirectX based applications that need full performance. I handle rendering the entire interface with my…

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• UWP System tray support

I would like the ability to give my app the ability to be in the system tray.

In addition, I would like the ability to minimize my app to the system tray as well.

220 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Static Accent Color constant for use in appxmanifest

In the .appxmanifest one can only specify the default colors or a hex value.
                                    There should be an option to enter "accent" to let the default splashscreen have the users accent color.

4 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • APIs to control vibration / haptic feedback

I would like to control have my app control the vibration/haptic feedback setting.

5 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• password protected zip

Extremely need password protected zipping and unzipping for universal app. Can you add it to System.IO.Compression? Frankly speaking, I'm surprised that it was not there from the very beginning.

12 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Console application model in UWP platform

UWP platform lack classic console application model.
                                          Why it's important? First example when it would be useful are unit tests that can be started on build server, powershell script or some other automatic tool. Console app model is a natural way to handle things in many use cases. What is most important, these console UWP apps would be built for and run on UWP platform and so it would be a perfect for testing or automation purposes if UWP platform is exactly needed. For mobile devices it would be perfect to use "remote console" feature, so desktop development environment would…

10 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base