Universal Windows Platform

Welcome to the Universal Windows Platform Developer Feedback site. This site provides the Windows developer community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center (dashboard, reporting/analytics, submission process, etc.)
  • Microsoft Store

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

• Windows consumer suggestions: Use the Windows Feedback Hub app built directly into Windows 10
  • Documentation on docs.microsoft.com: Sign in at the bottom of the page to give documentation feedback via Github
  • Visual Studio / .NET: Use the Visual Studio UserVoice site

If you’re new to UserVoice, two things to keep in mind are (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and not the actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request (or if too many different ideas are included in one suggestion).

How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Expose UEFI's GetNextVariableName to the userspace

Windows API provides the SetFirmwareEnvironmentVariable and GetFirmwareEnvironmentVariable families of functions, that effectively allow setting and getting the UEFI variables.
    However it';'s not enough to work with the UEFI variables, because you also need a way to enumerate them.

UEFI spec has GetNextVariableName function that lets one do that that, but Windows does not expose it right now.

I'd like to have access to that functionality of the UEFI.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Missing APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. I want to buy you all coffee. Thank you for bash, windows subsystem, CLI tool improvements..

I own, and develop on, Mac, Windows, and Linux (desktop and embedded). I have found the combination of Windows and Ubuntu subsystem (or just bash), to be the happy middle ground of all of these, and it greatly increased my productivity, allowed me to bring my experience on linux development to bear on windows projects, and completely eclipses other cross-platform or virtualization-based solutions. Thank you. How do I buy you all coffee?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dev Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow Bitlocker PIN to be set by standard users

Currently Bitlocker PIN has to be set by administrative users. When leveraging autopilot, that limits you either leverage silent deployment with TPM protector or non-silent policy but that means admin users have to configure Bitlocker on the device. It would be great if a standard user can be prompted to enable Bitlocker and set a PIN

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Device - Desktop  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. App File Explorer not showing SD

App File Explorer doesn't distinguish Device from SD

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Device - Phone / Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Dashboard Feedback Stopped Working

The Feedback feature in the Dashboard seems to have stopped working. I no longer see new feedback that I know are in the Feedback Hub app (I can see them in the app).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dev Center + Microsoft Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Plataformas para telefonos moviles

Hola a toda la comunidad.
    Cansado de la INSEGURIDAD de Google y sus servicios, pido que vuelvan a valorar volver a tener plataformas para telefonos moviles. Y ademas, que se ocupen, COMO SIEMPRE, en el respeto que Google y sus servicios nos niegan.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Device - Phone / Mobile  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. TextBlock should not be sealed

Sealed classes fly in the face of OOD, so there should be an incontrovertible reason for making a class sealed. I don't accept the rational that sealing the class makes it perform better. If you don't want the performance hit of virtual methods, then don't make them virtual. There's no justification for sealing the entire class.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  XAML/Controls/Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Hotspot 2.0

I am trying to use great feature Hotpost 2.0. But you have very little documentation for it. This is all that I can find https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/mobilebroadband/hotspot-20

I tried to ask question/propose some improvements using Github feedback https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/windows-driver-docs/issues/1079 btu nobody answered anything useful. In comments for github issue, I was advised to write feedback here.
    Can somebody update documentation for Hotstpo 2.0 feature, including more detailed specification what Windows support and what not. And add examples of expected XML/SOAP/OMA-DM payloads.

Also now I am interested is Windows support HS20 subscription remediation and policy update?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Unsorted  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. usbser.sys is not sending SET_CONTROL_LINE_STATE after RTS chamge

When using usbser.sys driver with USB CDC ACM device (aka USB serial port) RTS line change are not triggering SET_CONTROL_LINE_STATE control request. DTR behaves as expected and control request includes state of RTS line however there is no way to notify the device when only RTS changes

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Show ToolTip for the disabled control in UWP

I want to show the tooltip for the disabled control in UWP.

In winform, there's a ToolTipService.SetShowOnDisabled(https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.windows.controls.tooltipservice.setshowondisabled?view=netframework-4.7.2) method for me to achieve it, but in UWP, I have not found the similar method.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Missing APIs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Make it simple to submit a driver for signing by Microsoft

We have a driver that we would like to have signed so that Windows 10 would permit it to be loaded and run. It is a device driver for test equipment we manufacture. I can't seem to find a procedure for doing this that is painless and that we pay for.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dev Center + Microsoft Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Carousel with circural/loop scrolling?

Is some possibility to have in the future circular/loop scrolling in Carousel control? I saw some old issue https://github.com/windows-toolkit/WindowsCommunityToolkit/issues/1462 but its inactive.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows Community Toolkit  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. event hub/pub-sub/messenger implementation in UWP

We often have a requirement that we need to publish/send messages from one ViewModel and another ViewModel needs to subscribe or receive these messages so they can communicate with each other. I don't find any default implementation in windows community toolkit. Of course, we can create events to pub/sub but I think a common messenger system would be more helpful. I have created a simple implementation for this scenario. Any interests?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows Community Toolkit  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Disable automatic checkpoints by default in Windows 10 Hyper-V

Automatic checkpoints are always ON when creating a new virtual machine on Windows 10 Hyper-V. Idea is to give a user ability to control default behavior in some way permanently via UI. Currently for every newly created VM we have to manually remove that tick "use automatic checkpoints" form the Settings/Management/Checkpoints as it is always ON.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dev Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Flaw in app suspend with multiple views

First of all, it would be nice if it was documented that the Suspending event handler (and also Resuming) is called on the thread associated with the view which added the handler. I think this is fine (and don't change it because it would break existing code), but it should be documented.

Secondly, it seems that views are suspended independently, meaning that the dispatcher associated with one view can be paused before another view is suspended. This is not a good design in my opinion, because one view might be waiting for the other to release a shared resource before…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. webhook or Teams notification for Windows Store App publishing

It would be great to be able to notify our internal team when an app has been published to the store via Teams. For now, I was able to work around this by setting up a connector in Flow between my email and Teams, but really this should be coming directly from the Developer Center as part of the app submission configuration.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Update atleast this pme says 2015

Not an idea but a true statement. The mdl language in my recent research will adapt to any and all. Not just windows. Seem to hunt me down as the developer who used it and automatically adapted like my cell was windows. Everyone thinks it's obsolete but it is smarter than it's creditial gives and should be acknowledged it adapts even if the security certificate needs an update. Not a problem for myself but I think it needs credit along with Active X.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Background Processing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. CMake support

I really love the idea behind C++/WinRT, but what my experience is as a cross-platform dev is that it's strange how the language projection seems to cater to portable code, the build system is baked to be MSBuild, alien to most non-MS devs. I used to be a prime time VS dev (still my primary IDE), but I've been using CMake for 10+ years and feel way more home in it, than MSBuild environments.

I believe it would help the adoption of C++/WinRT if there were cross-platform build system support so projects that wish to be embedded in UWP environments…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  SDK - Tools + Templates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. mstsc alt ctrl

fix the behaviour of the ctrl alt keys strokes

see https://github.com/Microsoft/vscode/issues/41771

If you using th onscreen keyboard on your local maschine and on the remote you see differences . try press alt press ctrl press aorrow down. on the remote the ctrl and alt are gone

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Maximising a minimized app before supend competes shows two window title bars

If you minimize a UWP app so that the suspend handler is invoked, and you request a deferral in the handler, and the app is maximized before derferral.Complete() is shown, then the window shows a static image of the app content until the deferral has completed, but the static image includes the app title bar, and the app title bar is shown as well, so you get two copies of the app title bar showing. Everything is targeting and running on Windows 10 version 1809.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 124 125
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base