Universal Windows Platform

Welcome to the Universal Windows Platform Developer Feedback site. This site provides the Windows developer community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center (dashboard, reporting/analytics, submission process, etc.)
  • Microsoft Store

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

• Windows consumer suggestions: Use the Windows Feedback Hub app built directly into Windows 10
  • Documentation on docs.microsoft.com: Sign in at the bottom of the page to give documentation feedback via Github
  • Visual Studio / .NET: Use the Visual Studio UserVoice site

If you’re new to UserVoice, two things to keep in mind are (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and not the actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request (or if too many different ideas are included in one suggestion).

How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SwipeControl should support mouse input

The SwipeControl control should support mouse input as well as touch input. Currently it only supports touch input.

I appreciate that swipe controls have come out of developments around touch interfaces. However on a platform that allows for a single app to run on both desktop and touch devices I think that users will be expecting to be able to interact with the app in similar ways across devices.

Microsoft have set precedent for this in their own apps. Outlook for example utilises a SwipeControl type arrangement (that can be interacted with using a mouse) for marking emails as read…

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

on the backlog  ·  7 comments  ·  XAML/Controls/Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add PaneBackground Property to NavigationView

It is currently possible to change the background brush of the NavigationView itself, but the Pane, in particular, is not so straightforward. Users can modify the designated ResourceKey, but cannot change this brush outside of XAML.

Users would benefit greatly from a "PaneBackground" property that can be set to an AcrylicBrush, etc. Especially, since the pane of this control is currently opaque by default in a WPF XAML Island.

To reproduce this situation, please create an "XAML island" in a WPF application. Setting the child to a NavigationView. Then, from C#, search the NavView object for a simple PaneBackground property.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

on the backlog  ·  2 comments  ·  XAML/Controls/Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make RequestRestartAsync work in Desktop Bridge application

CoreApplication now has a RequestRestartAsync method, but it fails in a Desktop Bridge app with "NotInForeground".

Could you add this to the list of UWP APIs supported in Desktop Bridge? I really need to be able to programmatically restart my app.

I wonder if this is because of the way the Desktop Bridge technology wraps the WPF application. Any ideas on how I can cause the app to restart?

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We are taking a look on this and will be putting this on the backlog. To set expectations, this won’t be in the Spring 2018 release but at the soonest, the release after that

4. I need a ClickOnce like Deployment method for my UWP LOB Application

In my WPF app I created a ClickOnce that I deployed to my Azure website (URL) and warns the user and update the App before it is shown. I need a similar feature for UWP.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

on the backlog  ·  0 comments  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Enable WinAppDriver for Xbox and Mobile

Right now WinAppDriver only works on desktop.

Getting these capabilities across the Windows ecosystem would fulfill the promise of a unified Windows. Making it possible for us to write tests, and code once and have it being tested in an autonomous way. So that in theory, our applications could report and find bugs for us.

Before our users find them.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to the progress you're doing :D

57 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

on the backlog  ·  3 comments  ·  UI Testing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Using x:Bind or Binding in a Setter Value property of a VisualState

Using x:Bind or Binding in a Setter Value property of a VisualState will not be executed at the start of the view, you have to change the state of the and then go back before the bindings are used resulting in initial views being broken.

For code sample see: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/43880567/uwp-bindings-in-visualstate-setters

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

on the backlog  ·  0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow context menu verbs with file explorer integration without having a file type association

On this page, there is explanation how to make a file explorer integration on a desktop bridge app:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/sv-se/windows/uwp/porting/desktop-to-uwp-extensions

In short you could add something like this in your manifest-file:

<uap3:Extension Category="windows.fileTypeAssociation">
    <uap3:FileTypeAssociation Name="MyApp">
    <uap:SupportedFileTypes>
    <uap:FileType MultiSelectModel="Document">.txt</uap:FileType>
    <uap:FileType>.foo</uap:FileType>
    </uap:SupportedFileTypes>
    <uap2:SupportedVerbs>
    <uap3:Verb Id="Edit" Parameters="/e &quot;%1&quot;">Edit</uap3:Verb>
    <uap3:Verb Id="Print" Parameters="/p &quot;%1&quot;">Print</uap3:Verb>
    </uap2:SupportedVerbs>
    <uap:Logo>Assets\MyExtensionLogo.png</uap:Logo>
    </uap3:FileTypeAssociation>
    </uap3:Extension>

I’m working on porting an app that could calculate MD5 checksums on a file. I want to add this as a context menu option on for instance zip and iso-files. But it’s not possible to do this without making a file type association as I get it :(.…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. UI Access support for Centennial Converter

We have a uwp in the store and a desktop companion app. Currently to install our software (and have it function) both programs are needed. Merging them into a single installer would benefit our users greatly. It seems in order to do that we need to either pull out of the store or convert our desktop app to a uwp and merge the two installers. The issue we run into is that our desktop app uses ui access. Is ui access support on the list of upcoming features? Having a good informed answer to this question will help tremendously in helping us understand how…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Allow to pass runtime arguments to Windows.ApplicationModel.FullTrustProcessLauncher.LaunchFullTrustProcessForCurrentAppAsync()

Allow us to use runtime arguments for Windows.ApplicationModel.FullTrustProcessLauncher.LaunchFullTrustProcessForCurrentAppAsync() in addition to the parameters declared in the manifest

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Specify Arguments in AppxManifest.xml for Application Executable

Many developer will be bringing java / python / etc applications to the Windows Store via the Desktop Bridge.

It would be great if the <Application Executable="launcher.exe"> element or the <uap3:Extension Category="windows.appExecutionAlias"> element would allow me to specify arguments in the AppxManifest.xml file.

That would allow me to use the bundled javaw.exe or python.exe directly and instead of having to use my own launcher that effectively does nothing but call javaw.exe / python.exe with some predefined arguments.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Desktops cpu/GPU and other temperature on device portal

Should show temperature data on device portal.

53 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows Device Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Oops, looks like this was closed out incorrectly. Synced with the Device Portal team and they added it to their backlog.

12. Let me see network traffic in Device Portal

I can use Fiddler on my desktop to view my network traffic. I want to do the same thing for my other Windows devices to help debug my apps.

53 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Windows Device Portal  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Glad to see this is popular! We’re looking at adding support for proxy-based network monitors like Fiddler, Charles, or mitmproxy – if that’s not sufficient, please let us know!

13. [Bug] AudioGraph: Gaps and clicks during playback

To reproduce you may start with official AudioCreation sample from https://github.com/Microsoft/Windows-universal-samples/tree/master/Samples/AudioCreation/cs/AudioCreation
    Use file playback sample or custom effects sample. Depending on hardware, you may hear gaps right after start or you may need load CPU with some additional work, like scrolling UI or running some work in background threads.
    I guess it is result of extremely short quantum size (10ms; even switching between threads could take more time) and too low buffer length (2 quants), but it could be just some synchronization issue.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Audio/Graphics/Media playback  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. The installed Centennial executable does not know about its installed folders and cannot find them.

For example, if in the msi/ appx is added folder, like Samples or Projects, it cannot be found by the open/ save dialogs, with set "Initial Directory", opened by the installed executable, even if the folder is installed in the installed executable's folder. Actually, initially I constructed the msi by placing the folder in the Documents folder, but the Centennial does not install it there, but in the VFS\.... It will be hard for the user to find these kind of folders too.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. WinAppDriver: Ability to run application with arguments

It would be great to have an ability to run application with arguments using WinAppDriver. For example, run installer from MSI package:
    dc.SetCapability("app", @"C:\windows\system32\msiexec.exe");
    dc.SetCapability("args", @"/i C:\installer.msi");

Currently it is possible to do it using Winium, but not possible to do using WinAppDriver.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

on the backlog  ·  1 comment  ·  UI Testing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. MaskedTextBox Control

The TextBox control is the most used control in a Windows program. It also cause a lot of problem either from QA or the user because of invalid data that was entered. Using a masked control will save a lot of time for the developer and reduce the complaints and bugs

220 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

on the backlog  ·  4 comments  ·  XAML/Controls/Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Centennial: cmd line arguments

Centennial: cmd line arguments...

Appx shortcuts do not support command line arguments. This is an issue for building Centennial apps that need them.

A solution is needed.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. This is in our backlog and we are considering to support it in the next iteration.

18. Allow uiAccess, elevated privs to pave the road for getting rid of MSI

Completely separate out UWP from its ties with sandboxing and the windows store. If we look at .appx/the new installation mechanism as a much saner version of app installation, then the more applications it allows, the better. Centennial takes big steps towards that, but I'd like to go even further.

My example: An interactive screen sharing app. It requires uiAccess (if I recall correctly, so that it can intercept alt+tab for sending to the remote host) and elevated privileges (so that it can send input events to elevated processes such as regedit, taskmgr, etc for when the remote user has…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback. uiAccess is on our backlog. See Thomas’s reply regarding elevation.

19. WebView sub/popup/multi-window handling improvement

Please implement possibility for developer to handle (popup) window user flow. This is mainly useful for OAuth 3rd party authentication that is typically not under control of a developer.

Today there is a handler for NewWindowRequested to create new window, but there seems to be no way to handle window.close() call from javascript for example.

Requesting full implementation of the tools for the case, including support to handle window opening, closing (window.close), window.opener (parenthood) info, messaging (window.postMessage).

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  XAML/Controls/Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. desktop app converter keeps running state on build 14342

I run the converter on powershell, but it can not finish the work though it doesn't report any problems. In other works, it keeps running state, here is the complete log:

-------------------------------------------------------------
    [2016-05-17T18:40:20] Log files can be found in C:\DesktopAppConverter\5f41c777-1cae-4bed-b4c9-5bafaaac4175\logs
    [2016-05-17T18:40:20] Desktop App Converter Preview 0.1.15.release_2016-05-09_12-56_1a4902
    [2016-05-17T18:40:20] --------------------------------------------------

Checking Prerequisites

[2016-05-17T18:40:20] Checking Windows Version to ensure it meets minimum requirements
    [2016-05-17T18:40:20] Minimum Windows Version requirement is met.
    [2016-05-17T18:40:20] Testing for required feature enabled...
    [2016-05-17T18:40:23] Required feature is enabled.
    [2016-05-17T18:40:23] --------------------------------------------------

Validating Input

[2016-05-17T18:40:23] Expanded base image(s) found at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Images. Attempting to choose the most recent one compatible with your version…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base