Universal Windows Platform

Welcome to the Windows Platform Developer (WPDev) Feedback site. This feedback forum provides the WPDev community with a channel for feedback on the following topics:

• Windows developer platform (APIs, runtimes, and controls)
  • Dev Center Store (developer portal, back-end services, reporting/analytics and process)
  • Windows Stores (Windows and Windows Phone)

Your suggestions will be reviewed by the Windows platform developer team, providing feedback to help with planning ideas and to better understand how developers are using the development platform.

What this forum is not intended to cover or capture:

If you’re new to this whole UserVoice thing, we’d like to note two important things about this site: (a) List items (and item rankings) represent community interest in features, and does not represent an actual priority list for the product team; and (b) Suggestions made using this forum will be moderated if they do not actually represent a feature request.

How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Unique Device Id in IoT Extensions for UWP

Windows.System.Profile is included in the Desktop and Mobile extensions for UWP, but alas is not included in the IoT extensions for UWP.

So when a UWP app is running on an IoT device like Raspberry Pi, it cannot get a unique device id by calling HardwareIdentification.GetPackageSpecificToken.

It is really important for me to be able to identify each device on my IoT network.

Please add a way to get a unique device Id for a Raspberry Pi IoT device on UWP.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Framework  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Fix push notifications issue

I've switched to WP recently and found that push notifications on Windows Phone are not reliable at all. (Windows Phone 8.1, Denim).

I was using Lumia 930 for the last 3 months, and noticed a few occasions where I've missed messages on Viber / FB messenger / IM+Pro: I was not seeing any notifications about new message until I opened Viber / other IM.
      This happens more often when I'm travelling through the areas with poor network coverage (so phone switches to 3G or even 2G for a short periods of time).

This problem makes WP platform unreliable for apps…

228 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

112 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve resolved this initial issue, however, if you’re on Windows 10 Mobile and still experiencing issues, can you please collect logs using the following steps?

1. Download this custom XML configuration file to your phone: https://1drv.ms/u/s!An_saCE0rBx9qbYxupc1nfKbhkbHeQ
        2. Save that XML file in the following path on your phone: Documents\FieldMedic\CustomProfiles (create the folders if needed)
        3. Install the Field Medic app on your phone: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/field-medic/9wzdncrfjb82
        4. Open Field Medic
        5. Select "Advanced"
        6. Click the “<15 categories selected>” drop down
        7. Uncheck all the options (you can use the “unselect all” option in the “…” menu)
        8. Then scroll to the bottom and make sure “FieldMedic-Notifications-Custom.xml” is checked. We want only that category selected.
        9. Press back twice to return to the main screen
        10. Click “Start Logging”
        11. Continue to use your phone. Logging will occur in the background. Feel free to use it for a day or more.
        12. When you notice an issue,…

• Need (improved) Alarm & Reminder APIs in WP8.1 RunTime for creating Universal apps

There's currently no way to create a universal app that has alarm/reminder functionality because these APIs are not included in the new WP RunTime.

Also, the existing Alarm & Reminder APIs for WP8 are very limited. When they eventually get added into the new RunTime, can you guys please consider the following possible improvements?

1. Able to select a song from Music Library as the alarm/reminder tone.
        2. Allow custom snooze time.
        3. Vibrate only support.
        4. Allow customizing the Alarm/Reminder popup.

I raised a request on the uservoice site over a year and a half ago, it's got 15k…

1,493 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

This topic contains a few things, we feel there are ways to do this now (listed below) and work arounds. If there are targeted APIs you are looking for, please create a single UV item for each one as this allows us to close items out.

What has been done:
          1. There is now a way to create an alarm/reminder in universal windows apps;
          2. The alarm/reminder supports custom snooze time (you can choose to let system handle snooze, or wake up your background task to do it manually);
          3. The alarm/reminder supports vibrate only (just like toast) that can be overwritten by user to turn off vibration;
          4. The alarm/reminder supports a good level of customizability (custom optional inline image, custom additional actions, etc)
          There are several blog post that describes above capabilities with more details:
          http://blogs.msdn.com/b/tiles_and_toasts/archive/2015/07/02/adaptive-and-interactive-toast-notifications-for-windows-10.aspx
          http://blogs.msdn.com/b/tiles_and_toasts/archive/2015/07/08/toast-notification-and-action-center-overview-for-windows-10.aspx
          http://blogs.msdn.com/b/tiles_and_toasts/archive/2015/07/09/quickstart-sending-a-local-toast-notification-and-handling-activations-from-it-windows-10.aspx

What we know that’s missing and hope to support in…

• Bug: Microsoft Store is hiding apps that are published as "Your app can be found by customers browsing or searching the Store."

There is a very annoying bug in the Windows 10 Store that hides apps form listing. Microsoft is not solving this issue. Please vote so that this issue get addressed.

The Problem:

The apps are accessible with the Store link: e.g. https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9WZDNCRFJ323

But if you try to search for it, e.g. Announcements for Windows, the app is not listed. The same applies when you list all apps from the publisher/developer.

In the Dashboard, the submission is configured like this: Distribution = Your app can be found by customers browsing or searching the Store.

Microsoft Support just answer this:

I reviewed…

112 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • enable all libraries in the background agent

we can't use some important libraries in the background agent like "Microsoft.devices.sensors"

that limite our power to creat a good application

8 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  SDK - Tools + Templates  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Start an App on Bootup

Hi,
              Is there any way to launch a installed App at bootup.
              From Dev point of View, it will help a lot in doing regression testing over reboots without the manual intervention

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dev Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Backgorund Services should be improved !!

This is third time I am stuck in windows phone app development because windows phone 8 doesn't provide a good background service. Running of background service just for 25 seconds every 30 minutes is restricting app developers from creating required apps for clients. My client is a well known home appliances manufacturing company , and they insist on regular update from app even when app is not running , which we successfully implemented in Android and iOS. But because of the restriction in windows phone development over background service client is on the verge of dropping windows phone app for…

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Background Processing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • CSS inline style linking and or in separate file

CSS inline style linking and or in separate file

Instead:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="theme.css">
                  Can be it:

<StyleSheet URI="../theme.css"/>

<Window or Page...>
                  <Stylesheet URI="../theme.css"/>
                  <Button FontWeight="Bold">
                  <WrapPanel>
                  <TextBlock Foreground="Blue">Multi</TextBlock>
                  <TextBlock Foreground="Red">Color</TextBlock>
                  <TextBlock>Button</TextBlock>
                  </WrapPanel>
                  </Button>
                  </Window or Page...>

/* default styles */
                  Button {
                  Background: #ff00ff;
                  &.primary {
                  Background: Blue;
                  }
                  &.secondary {
                  Background: #ffaaaa;
                  }
                  }
                  /* default window style */
                  Window {
                  Button: {
                  Background: Aqua;
                  }
                  }
                  /* styles in a warning dialog */
                  .warning {
                  Margin: 10;
                  Background: #ee7600;

Button {
                  &.primary {
                  Background: Orange;
                  }
                  &.secondary {
                  Background: #aa0099;
                  }
                  }
                  }

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  XAML/Controls/Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

you can do this with XAML styles and generic.xaml file.

Note i intentionally broke the XML so it will display

in app.xaml
                    Application.Resources>
                    ResourceDictionary>
                    ResourceDictionary.MergedDictionaries>
                    ResourceDictionary Source=“/Styles/TextBlock.xaml”/>
                    /ResourceDictionary.MergedDictionaries>
                    /ResourceDictionary>
                    /Application.Resources>

in a folder called /styles/
                    ResourceDictionary
                    xmlns=“http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation”;
                    xmlns:x=“http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml”>;

ResourceDictionary.MergedDictionaries> ResourceDictionary Source=“/Styles/_Colors.xaml”/> ResourceDictionary Source=“/Styles/_FontSizes.xaml”/> ResourceDictionary Source=“/Styles/_Thickness.xaml”/> /ResourceDictionary.MergedDictionaries> !—Common texts—> Style x:Key=“PageTitleStyle” TargetType="TextBlock"> Setter Property=“VerticalAlignment” Value=“Center”/> Setter Property=“FontWeight” Value=“SemiLight”/> Setter Property=“FontSize” Value=“{StaticResource LargeFontSize}”/> Setter Property=“TextTrimming” Value=“CharacterEllipsis”/> Setter Property=“TextWrapping” Value=“NoWrap”/> Setter Property=“Margin” Value=“{StaticResource PageTitleMargin}”/> /Style> Style x:Key=“BodyTextStyle” TargetType="TextBlock"> Setter Property=“FontWeight” Value=“Normal”/> Setter Property=“FontSize” Value=“{StaticResource MediumFontSize}”/> Setter Property=“TextTrimming” Value=“CharacterEllipsis”/> Setter Property=“TextWrapping” Value"Wrap"/> /Style> !—List texts—> Style x:Key=“ListTitleStyle” TargetType="TextBlock"> Setter Property=“FontWeight” Value=“SemiBold”/> Setter Property=“FontSize” Value=“{StaticResource MediumFontSize}”/> Setter Property=“TextTrimming” Value=“CharacterEllipsis”/> Setter Property=“TextWrapping” Value=“NoWrap”/> /Style> Style x:Key=“ListSubTitleStyle” TargetType="TextBlock"> Setter Property=“FontWeight” Value=“Normal”/> Setter Property=“Opacity” Value=“0.6”/> Setter Property=“FontSize” Value=“{StaticResource MediumFontSize}”/> Setter Property=“TextTrimming” Value=“CharacterEllipsis”/> Setter Property=“TextWrapping” Value=“NoWrap”/> /Style>

/ResourceDictionary>

• Control Multiple MediaPlayer's Volume on Windows 10 Mobile issue

I use two MediaPlayer to do cross-fade effect on my app. I start two task and one for reduce volume to 0 and another for increase volume from 0.

It works fine on Desktop. But behave really strange on Mobile. It seems like volume for two players are end up to setting the same. So volume will become louder then quiter reapeatly for both MediaPlayer.

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

Completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Audio/Graphics/Media playback  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Allow developers to control update distribution (flighting)

Instead of making a new app update immediately available to everyone, allow control in Dev Center to release to a percentage of users. This allows developer to obtain metrics and feedback before opening the floodgates and reverting to previous version if necessary.

3 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Remove the limit of 3 app's

Hi,
                        I am a developer aplications, and even have done some projects for the university.
                        I'm developing more than 10 applications, however, has encountered an obstacle. I can not develop, because I can not transfer more than three applications for AppHub. How can I remove this limit so I could develop / end applications?
                        thanks.

3 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Ability to uncheck all markets while submitting app

Some of my apps are targeted to few (less than 10) markets, and for leaving only selected markets I have to manually uncheck more than 100-150 markets. I'm suggesting to add one little check box for check/uncheck all markets, which will be help us a little more.

Thanks,
                          David

3 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• 17 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Allow to have a limited time price offer

currently we can't change and schedule the price for a limited time (free or 50% off ...) . If you change the price, it need to pass certification again.

It was good if we could set the app or in-app product to be free for one day for example and return back after that.

6 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow videos in Windows Store

Allow users to either upload videos or embed youtube videos in their application listing so that clients can see gameplay and/or trailer videos, which increases the possibilities of sales.

29 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • 26 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Dev Center + Store  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Allow alarms to break through Quiet Hours

Hello.
                                    My alarm app which uses alarm-scenario toasts cannot break through Quiet Hours.

I received plenty, I mean really plenty feedback from users desperately wanting alarms to break through Quiet Hours.

4,789 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

In the Creators Update (build 15063), all third-party alarm apps (toasts using scenario=“alarm”) will break through quiet hours now, just like the first-party alarm app!

Thank you everyone for letting us know that this feature was important to you!

• Allow deployment of apps to a web server

When developing a Windows app for the app store using JavaScript and HTML it should be possible to deploy that application to a web server in some form. This would bring people to the UWP in droves and is the only thing holding me back from using it in any capacity.

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Dev Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • [Bug] - Windows & WP have an wrong text display problem for mixed RTL & LTR text

Wrong text display when write an English(LTR) word inside an Persian(Farsi) or Arabic(RTL) text(See Picture) when APP language et to English( This mean is Controls "FlowDirection"="LeftToRight")

http://www.4shared.com/download/6wEhQ5Dcba/RTL_Problem2.jpg?sbsr=9d532eaef2551bc183b0d3a8201742533d0d56b269bcfb13&lgfp=3000

For solve this problem must "FlowDirection" property set automatic for RTL and LTR text through checking first char in text.
                                        Like this Suggestion

https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-universal-windows-platform/suggestions/8524696-add-auto-mode-to-flowdirection-property

And for better performance

https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/253374-missing-platform-apis/suggestions/8526205-provide-apis-for-detect-current-keyboard-language

93 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  XAML/Controls/Composition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Per Miguel:

Thanks for sharing this feedback. In Windows 10 November Update the XAML Framework introduced a default mechanism to detect from the content the right FlowDirection based on the first character of the text. We consider this as fixed.

• Live tiles for Win32 apps

How about Win32 apps to show some in-app details/informations in live tiles in start menu (if pinned)?

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Desktop Bridge ('Centennial')  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 40 41
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base