How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

Universal Apps drag & drop - remove read-only attribute

Please add a "Windows 10 Apps" category to this UserVoice.

When drag/dropping files/folders onto Universal Apps, the read-only attribute is set, making it impossible to edit those files/folders. There should be a way, e.g. through manifest, to allow this kind of interaction.

After all, drag/drop is a conscious user interaction (like a picker) and does not happen without their knowledge.

46 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Luis Cantero shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition, if the dropped item is a folder library, it's not only read-only, but you cannot get access to the actual folders

• Neme commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

THIS! When I get a DataPackage with files in it and the RequestedOperation set to Move, I can't actually move them?! Try explaining that to the user...

• Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need this feature to provide a useful user experience to the user! We can't replace win32 tool if uwp does not provide the necessary abilities!

It's nice that you go security-first with UWP as it ultimately benefits all users. However I have to go with the crowd with this one. By dragging a file to an app the user consciously gives the app permission to manipulate the file OR developer must be able to ask permission to write the file after successful drag and drop.

This pushes developers away from UWP apps, to Win32 apps, converted via Project Centennial for the Store.

If Microsoft want developers to move to UWP, they have to give us Win32 capabilities, like drag and drop, taskbar access, etc. - basic stuff

• Steve Carless commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I see dropping the file as the user giving consent to the app to use it. Read/Writes access should be allowed.

• claudiuslollarius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with Lukas: dragging and dropping a file is a conscious user interaction, just as using a picker, and files opened that way should be granted the same permissions.

Limitations like this are a major hindrance to developers trying to do the right thing and write sandboxed universal apps.

• Lukas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I fully agree. By dropping a file on a target app, the user has explicitly given the file to the app, very similar to picking the same file from a file picker. There is absolutely no reason for making the file read-only, just because it comes from drag+drop.

The current behavior makes no sense and is counter intuitive. If you drag an image file into an image editor, you definitely want to be able to edit the image and then save it, by just pressing the "Save" button. The current UWP platform does not allow this and forces the user to manually select the file *again* from a file picker. And the file picker does not even allow us to pre-select the file, no no, the user has to manually search and click through his folder structure the find the file again.

Limitations like this are the reasons why still a lot of software is written as oldschool desktop programs. In Windows 8.x, no Drag+Drop was allowed into apps. Now it is allowed, but again it is so limited that for many use cases it just does not work. For absolutely no reason. I don't get it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base