How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

UWP System tray support

I would like the ability to give my app the ability to be in the system tray.

In addition, I would like the ability to minimize my app to the system tray as well.

311 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Martin shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

28 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Sam Hobbs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows foes not have a "system tray"; see:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee330740(v=vs.85).aspx

It says "The notification area has been known historically as the system tray or status area.".

Also see:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dn742495(v=vs.85).aspx

It describes the various uses of the notification area. Therefore this suggestion is actually many ideas since there are multiple uses of the notification area. A suggestion should be submitted that is specific about the requested use of the notification area and it should be consistent with the guidelines provided in preceding document.

Many of us don't like the notification area being cluttered with applications with a UI that should be in the Taskbar. I certainly support Microsoft's efforts to reduce the clutter.

• Vb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know why I developed a syndrome to hate apps that show up in system tray. If UWP apps can run in the background without UI, then notification window itself is enough

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

their should be option required for system tray as another applications are providing this option.

• Jim Nichols (blkbam) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd much rather develop applications that need to be active but not in the foreground hide in the tray than minimized. Even with the notification panel it's not a good user experience to have lots of applications littering the task bar. With the tile system on it's way out, we should be able to have applications that don't take up view but still run.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will switch (and pull my contacts with me) to a competing instant messaging & voice chat solution if this feature will not be back quite soon. Sorry MS, but this is a deal breaker for me and your attitude to your users is not acceptable for me.

• Dawn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's the skype icon that I'd like to be able to minimize to the system tray in Windows 10 like it was in the previous versions. Thank you.

• Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this function at least to the Windows Desktop Extension API contracts.

• McAkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Anonymous: UWP apps are true apps. Too bad you don't see them so for now. You can choose to remain on Win32 apps and Win7, the rest of the world will move on and we'll see you down the line in 15yrs when malware own your base like we have now for WannaCry. This is technology, if doesn't move-on, it will die. Period. Go ask IBM. You should not be afraid of the future.

• McAkins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know if you guys have noticed, but Notification Bar is taking over the function of System Tray gradually. This is evolutionary and possibly the future for Microsoft. You can have Active state now in there to show status and activate your app. I don't have official confirmation from MS on this just a tech-trend I'm seeing. I think MS should come out and confirm that Sys-tray is being deprecated so Devs know what to expect.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base