How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

Replace Xamarin.Forms Xaml syntax with latest UWP Xaml

Now that Microsoft has bought Xamarin, integrated it in Visual Studio and made it free, it would be awesome to replace Xamarin.Forms Xaml syntax with current UWP so that Devs can benefit from all the new rich features such as RelativePanel, x:Bind, Adaptive Triggers, Live Visual Tree etc and also no learning curve for Xamarin.Forms-specific naming conventions (e.g StackLayout instead of StackPanel)

241 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Syed Hassaan AhmedSyed Hassaan Ahmed shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is great feedback. We are excited about the Xamarin acquisition and the .NET ecosystem around cross-platform apps. We are currently looking at this and similar feedback on how we can improve the experience of working with both Xamarin.Forms and UWP implementations of XAML.

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Thomas Claudius HuberThomas Claudius Huber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Note that Microsoft has anounced XAML Standard 1.0 at last BUILD conference. When XAML Standard evolves, we will have the same XAML dialect across UWP and Xamarin Forms. So indeed, Microsoft is working on this item as part of XAML Standard.

More info about XAML Standard: https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2017/05/19/introducing-xaml-standard-net-standard-2-0/

When you look at the proposed items for XAML Standard 1.0, you can see that UWP-XAML will be the way to go, so f.e. StackPanel, and not StackLayout:

https://github.com/Microsoft/xaml-standard/blob/staging/docs/v1draft.md

• planetarianplanetarian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Xamarin.Forms is kind of a huge pain to use. Between the syntax that's different enough to be annoying, the lower flexibility, and the fact that there's NO designer support, it has slowed down my multiplatform development to the point where I'm seriously considering just writing platform-specific UIs... At least then I'd have decent tooling support.
        I love UWP as a windows developer, but I've grown accustomed to calling it the Useless Windows Platform since it's not particularly "universal". At least making UWP XAML usable on other platforms with Xamarin would be a step in the right direction.

• mos djamos dja commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

oh really is not Xamarin.forms and UWP XAML of the same company? so why we have to learn several ways to do the same thing, instead of making several things in the same way

• Rolf van KuijenRolf van Kuijen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hope the 'fine feedback' means that Xamarin.Forms will use the full UWP syntax and not even add more garbage to Xamarin.Forms.

Xamarin.Forms is really becoming a big mess with all the syntax it is taking from the other platforms not to mention how weird it is to configure all those controls, it really is a barrel scrapping feeling by a Java developer kind of feeling that no Xaml anywhere works like (Even XAML For HTML5 is better).

• Marco MurrayMarco Murray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed with the others, you are better off voting for the GitHub issue, which at this point nearly has as many reactions as this vote alone. This group is responsible for taking something that worked very well in WPF and Silverlight, and then has actively spent the past decade ensuring a subpar, mediocre replacement. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that management over there used to work for Google or Apple, and are guilty of corporate sabotage. How anyone over there has managed to continue getting paid during all this time of doing essentially nothing is indeed a mystery, and something shareholders and press should inquire.

• GuillaumeGuillaume commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Of course ! It is the ONLY way to give life back to Windows Mobile !
        This is the KEY !

• Titus RockefellerTitus Rockefeller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Truly a disgrace to see how watered-down and incompetent the Xaml systems have become. WPF and Silverlight are still so much better, and if we could get away with still using them, we would. We are instead held ******* by these very limited subsets of Xaml. Might as well be using JSON! I am in agreement with others that the GitHub vote is probably the better way to go. It takes years before this group can even decide on something, nevermind actually doing something about it.

• Bradley MastersonBradley Masterson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Incredible that users are asking for the obvious, and it still takes over a year to even acknowledge that there is even a problem. Talk about corporate cruft and malfeasance! The GitHub issue has my upvote, and is probably a better place to focus our energies. This place and the UWP group is a joke.

• RJ WilcoRJ Wilco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, consolidate all Xaml flavors and take the best from all models, please. This vote and the GitHub issue have my upvote!!!

• Mike-EEEMike-EEE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FWIW there is a conversation happening on CoreFX's GitHub around porting System.Xaml over to .NETCore. It would be awesome to unify efforts and create a new cross-platform Xaml system that combines the best aspects from all flavors (System.Xaml, OmniXaml, Portable.Xaml, Xamarin.Xaml & UWP Xaml).

Please feel free to join the conversation here:
        https://github.com/dotnet/corefx/issues/5766

Thank you for any consideration and support!

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please unify both xaml and allow to use blend to design xamarin.forms apps. You just need UWP xaml that can be deployed to ios and android

Feedback and Knowledge Base