How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

Centennial should be an SDK - not a mere converter

It should be possible to create Visual Studio Centennial Project in WinForms, WPF, Win32, MFC, etc, which should also allow mixing of UWP Code (Like XAML UI) with full interop between native and UWP Platform. This should be the standard way to create and distribute powerful applications that are not restricted by the sandbox like universal apps.

23 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Monto C shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Herman Eldering commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me also mixed UI is important. We can't move our entire UI in one go, that is a too big upfront investment.

• Austin Dimmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I voted for this since I nearly created an issue titled "Please support mixed WPF Xaml and UWP Xaml UI for Project Centennial"

I read in the docs at the following url

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/porting/desktop-to-uwp-supported-api

"XAML UI Converted apps won't have a UWP XAML UI until they are fully ported to UWP"

I found this to be quite disappointing since a big attraction to me for using Centennial would be to be able to integrate new Xaml controls like Hub, SemanticZoom etc into an existing WPF application. It is going to be quite tricky to port this application entirely over to UWP since it uses legacy Win32 API calls fairly extensively. That means I will never be able to take advantage of the nice UI innovations that UWP provides and WPF seems not to provide at the moment.

Feedback and Knowledge Base