How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

Donationware ability for Windows Store

It's a lot easier to build a following when it's free. Keeping this in mind, was thinking of making some of my products donationware. Would it be feasible to somehow make this type of offering as part of the store?

The ability for an end user to donate allows me to make the app free. Donations should be supported

Any feedback is appreciated, Thanks, John.

62 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

John Leone shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John Leone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You might want to download it again now. Had a nasty bug that I hadn't noticed until it was published. It's all fixed now.

I have the prototype functioning! I posted my first donation to myself. Only way I could test it. Worked good though, just needed to adjust some of the wording. But now I'm just in a holding pattern until the program to pass certification and in the store. Thanks!

Hi Clint, I think I got this set up, but am not sure. I have the three in app purchases, 1,2,3 dollars, or .99, 1.99, and 2.99. I also have the code running in Beta 5 of the Video Recorder. Although it says the addons are certified, if I run my new code from the program using the new id's it says not found. Is it once they've been published can I see them. Can't really figure out how I'm going to test them. Also does the StoreID have to remain private. I currently am distributing this as open souce, but I will somehow remove them, if it is to be kept that way

• AdminClint Rutkas [MSFT] (Admin, Windows Developer) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

John, that would be up for you to implement how you'd want to set up payment, it currently isn't variable. One reason why i'm keeping this open. I suggest having a few IAP for donation at different, increasing amounts.

For setting up and implementing IAP, https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/monetize/enable-in-app-product-purchases

That sounds great, but I'm not sure how to proceed. How do I set up an In app purchase? Also, would there be the ability to have a variable amount, so that the user would only pay the amount that is comfortable for them? Many Thanks, John.

• RP Interactive commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, actually all you need to change for that is the "try" and "buy" buttons. What about "install" and "sponsor"? (And maybe show the app among the free apps). I am unsure about this idea, but I have the feeling I need to know more about this.

• phildaub commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With WP7 we have the unique ability to offer Trails for Paid Apps, which is great. However, it would be nice if developers could offer Free Apps with a possibility to users for voluntary donations. Some devs do the workaround and offer a Paid app, with the trial version having no restrictions at all (if the user clicks 'buy', he essentially donates to the dev).

However, this workaround has the disadvantage of the app not apprearing in the 'free' category, though they are actually free. Therefore, it would be great if devs could put apps in the marketplace offering two buttons: 'install (free)' and 'install and donate (e.g. 0,99$)'. The price could be splitted 30-70 just like with paid apps, just with the difference of the app appearing in the 'free' category.

Feedback and Knowledge Base