How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

In-App Purchase/Payments for Marketplace apps

By providing in-app payments you allow the developers more options for making money.
Hey..the other guys are doing it!

726 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Matt KiazykMatt Kiazyk shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Luis Angel Rodriguez CastroLuis Angel Rodriguez Castro shared a merged idea: Add in app purchases for Windows Phone 7.x apps  ·   · 
    he lanehe lane shared a merged idea: pay in app  ·   · 
    Chris JohnsonChris Johnson shared a merged idea: Support Monthly/Yearly subscriptions for app purchasing.  ·   · 

57 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BrendanBrendan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me to develop an app using something like Azure, a subscription based payment system is necessary to cover costs. If you want more developers bootstrapping an app to use Azure then this is the way to do it!

• BrendanBrendan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to develop apps that use an Azure backend. Other than advertising, there are no Store payment options that can cover monthly costs.

I want the Store to handle payments/cancellations/refunds etc. and regular customer debits so I can concentrate on writing the apps.

With the current options of one off payments it is very difficult to bootstrap service backed apps as an independent developer.

• Valentin HuberValentin Huber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great seeing this feature for Windows Apps. Because implementing it as in-app purchase is disturbing for the client, since he is forced to approve the transaction, every time.

• Luis Angel Rodriguez CastroLuis Angel Rodriguez Castro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As far as I understand it, the In-app purchase is more a Store functionality than a device / SO functionality.
        So, I can't understand why you can not add in-app purchases for the WP7 sdk.

Trial functionality, being a good idea, is not understood by users, so most of them only look for free applications.
        This means that we can:
        · Take the same aproach as in other mobile stores having two versions of our app (app trial + app full)
        · Make our app free, with an in-app purchase to get the whole functionality. I think this is the best option: easier to mantain and easier to understand by users

But, there is no in-app purchases in WP7 so, at least for now (50% market share right now WP7 and 50% WP8), so I must have:
        · 1 WP 8 App with in-app purchase.
        · 1 WP 7 free app with limited functionality (the trial experience)
        · 1 WP7 full app referenced from the WP7 trial app.

So, the "buy app" button launchs the in-app purchase in WP8 and launchs the market page for the full app in WP7. This is the more 'logical' I've been able to get.

So, please, add in-app purchases to WP7 SDK to ease this mesh. Or provide it as separate plugin (via nuget) available for us.

• Henrique DuarteHenrique Duarte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm developing an application for iOS, Android and WP, but I can't make subscription purchase works for Windows Phone. =/

• Supreet TareSupreet Tare commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A simple example. I want to use Yodlee services, I don't want to pay their hefty yearly subscription charges. They also have a per user/ per month based model which I can use only when In App purchase is available.. makes sense?

• Marcus HöjvallMarcus Höjvall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm waiting for IAP to come to wp7 so I can use it in my game. The user would buy energy and powerups for their characters. I would like the user to be able to just click a buy button, get a pop-up where they can press approve or cancel. Then I need a nice way to be absolutely sure that the user has bought this particular item and save this on my server.

• MargaretMargaret commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My app is free with a sample of multiple different data sources. A user can purchase each data source separately by using in-app purchase, yet use a single interface (it is actually a game) using different data. The alternative is that the user needs to purchase one app for each data source, but that will cause app-clutter: it just seems kludge-y. WP7 is my primary platform now (meaning most downloads), but lack of this feature will cause the WP7 apps to not be as easy to use as the iOS apps. The key here is that the user needs to be able to unlock content on the app-- if this could be done by purchasing something on the marketplace, that would be okay: the app could redirect tothe marketplace to make the purchase.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Subscription-type in-app purchase is definitely required to enable apps that deliver paid content to the subscribers (such as news services, mapping services, game services, etc.). This has been a winner business model in Apple App Store.

• tonystonys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My curntry mlysia,but maket app it's not support me Purchase the application (youtube pro)...... It's only some curntry and singapore.

• JibzyJibzy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates on this?
        I have several customer who could not move to WP7 just because of this. Once recent case is magazine + content service where user can read free content and then pay for paid sections etc.

• Andy GreenAndy Green commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We currently use in-app purchases on iOS and Android for purchasing feature upgrades for an extremely popular free app that we have. The free app provides itself as a great promotional platform, and when users try the app and like it, they have the option of paying for upgraded functionality. The combo works great.

• bernardobernardo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would use it in many of my apps, for both recurring (more gold), and one time (unlock a hard level, unlock new graphics).

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Freemium games are already rocking the charts in AppStore and Android markets.
        So WP7 must have the IAPs too.
        The service is not that hard to implement for MS guys.

• Rolf BorstRolf Borst commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like a feature that easy can be used. For example like your wonderful LicenseInformation-API and your MarketplaceDetailTask:

LicenseInformation licenseInfo = new LicenseInformation();
        ...= licenseInfo.IsTrial();

MarketplaceDetailTask marketplaceTask = new MarketplaceDetailTask();
        marketplaceTask.Show();

Can you extend it for In-App Purchase like the following (example):

... = licenseInfo.IsInAppPurchase("KEY")

MarketplaceDetailTask marketplaceTask = new MarketplaceDetailTask();
        marketplaceTask.InAppPurchase = "KEY";
        marketplaceTask.Show();

I would use In-App Purchase for donations for free apps and for additional features that users can buy to extend the functionality of apps. I only develop non-game-apps. So I would like a possiblity to do In-App-Purchase from Silverlight-Apps.

I love the Windows Phone plattform. You do a great job.

• BorisBoris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

most want - (items like gold, virtual currency, one-time use items)

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base