How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

Enable Hyper-V on all version of Windows

For developing and testing virtualized apps with the latest features we need Hyper-V but it isn't available on all versions, so our best option is install Linux.

Similar issue: https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-universal-windows-platform/suggestions/7761381-allow-to-develop-and-test-windows-phone-apps-on-al

75 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to develop for Windows Phone 10 but I'm not paying £100 to upgrade from Windows Home to Windows Pro so I can enable Hyper-V.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You need hyper-V for the emulator but you can still deploy to any windows phones lying about

• Sunil Kumar Singh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i myself is in the Same Situation. I'm pretty much interested in Developing for Windows as i get a Windows Phone Since its Early days. i have bought a Visual Studio Pro during days of Windows Phone 8 just before of Cyan and $99 developer account(though i don't want to spent that much), but when i know about Windows Pro version t stopped there. Now i continued the app development for Windows UWP apps through Windows 10 Pro Insider Builds with VS 2015 Community inside VMware and already two apps in the development, but in testing its also not moving forward anymore as Hyper-v crashes a lot in Nested Virtualization, but i really want to publish them. so NOT for Free but Microsoft can Made available a STANDALONE Version of Hyper-V ATLEAST for Developers so that they bought it cheaply instead of Buying the Whole PRO version just for Hyper-V(Need for Emulation of Windows for Testing) and can benifit a lot.

i myself is in the Same Situation. I'm pretty much interested in Developing for Windows as i get a Windows Phone Since its Early days. i have bought a Visual Studio Pro during days of Windows Phone 8 just before of Cyan and $99 developer account(though i don't want to spent that much), but when i know about Windows Pro version t stopped there. Now i continued the app development for Windows UWP apps through Windows 10 Pro Insider Builds with VS 2015 Community inside VMware and already two apps in the development, but in testing its also not moving forward anymore as Hyper-v crashes a lot in Nested Virtualization, but i really want to publish them. so NOT for Free but Microsoft can Made available a STANDALONE Version of Hyper-V ATLEAST for Developers so that they bought it cheaply instead of Buying the Whole PRO version just for Hyper-V(Need for Emulation of Windows for Testing) and can benifit a lot.

• Morten Nielsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One nice thing about UWP apps is that you can run the same app package on the desktop, removing the need for an emulator. Really the only big difference is the screen size, but you could set your window size to match that of a phone, and ensure it looks ok. The only time this wouldn't work is if you need phone specific things like doing phone calls etc, but you can't do that on the emulator either.

• nat.han.b commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I used to have an old PC with Windows 8.1 Pro but I couldn't use Windows Phone 8.1 emulator because of my old hardware (I could however use Windows 8.1 emulator). Today I own a more powerful PC with an i5 and 8GB of RAM, but with Windows 10 family. Although my hardware configuration support Hyper-V, I can't use Windows 10 emulators because I don't have Windows 10 Pro.
        As a student, I'm a little out of money and I can't stand paying again for an emulator that I'm sure Windows 10 family is perfectly able to run, for it is able to run Android emulators. I expect I'm not the only one in this case.

• Vikas Kumar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In India lot of students buy Notebooks with Windows 8.1 SL (Not pro). But for developing and testing Windows Phone apps we need Windows Pro version with Hyper-V. Thats why lot of students chose to develop for android, because of no special requirement.

At least you can give Students an option (on DreamSparks) to install Hyper-V on their regular OS.

• Anthony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since Windows 8 Hyper-v is only available with a Windows pro licence. Everyone can not afford to pay a license. If you want many developers let developers work without constraints!

• Runny Yolk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MS has taken steps to bring the cost of app dev down by introducing a free version of Visual Studio and slashing the developer fee.

But there is still a significant hurdle remaining: a three figure spend is still required to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro which is a prerequisite for the emulator.

MS needs to provide a free version of Hyper-V that is supported on other editions of Windows 8 and can only be used to run the emulator.

Feedback and Knowledge Base