How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

Isn't there any support about encryption of local database?

Hi,
I'm developing a Windows Universal App, and I'm sicked and tired of finding a way to implement encrypted local DB support.
(I already have a database file encrypted by SQL Cipher and I just have to read the records)
I know SQLite support Universal App Development through Nuget in VS2015
But SQLCipher is not - it supports only commercial edition ($899) and I can't afford the expense.
So I tried to find other ways such as Excel, Access, or SQL Server Compact Edition.

Surprisingly, NO ONE OF THEM supports Universal App implementation.

That's ridiculous and I'm sick and tired of finding the way.
Does Microsoft really NOT support local database in developing Universal App?

I can't understand why I'm confused in this situation which is possible on Android or iOS so easy.

In fact, I wonder why MS does not support this FUNDAMENTAL feature, while Android and iOS already does.

9 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Luciano shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Hermit Dave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Luciano with UWP you can use EF7 core which internally uses SQLite or you can use SQLite directly. UWP now supports System.Data.Sqlite explicitly by means of Command etc. Excel and Access have seen better days though you are SQLite is a new mobile standard now.

• ErikEJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you know the password, any desktop tool that support SQL Server Compact can open the database file

• DamnnnSure commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the encrypted dabase file generated by WPDT can't be open with VS2010 or SQL server 2008.Hope you can fix this

Feedback and Knowledge Base