How can we improve the Windows dev platform?

We need a classic TabControl for Desktop applications

For a classic desktop application, we need a TabControl. Currently you can use the Pivot or there are 3rd-party vendors providing a TabControl. But as this is such a central control, it should be part of the platform.
If you build it, it would be great if you could add configurable close-functionality to the tab-header that is bindable to a ViewModel.

I’ve spent some hours to build a small MVVM/UWP/Pivot Prototype that does the typical stuff we do today in WPF with TabControl. And I was impressed how far I got. Sample is here:
https://github.com/thomasclaudiushuber/Uwp-Tab-Control-Spike

Big asks are asks are
* Styling of headers
** I think this could be made simpler by support for example a HeaderStyle-Property on the Pivot
* Layout of headers
** Currently the Pivot has no overflow-panel. It’s also not wrapping the headers. Maybe the dev should be able to define the panel used for the headers. I didn’t find the option.
* Implicit DataTemplates (not really an issue of the Pivot, but would be great to have these. I created a separate uservoice entry)
* Styling of content (I was not able to get rid of that entrance-animation (“slide in from the left”-animation/-transition))
* allow for no overflow
* allow for no wrapping

54 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Thomas Claudius Huber shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base